Diagnosing Gimbal Fault

Reaction score
I bought a 2h Phantom 3 4k for my son (10yrs) to learn. The camera works fine, but the gimbal was shot - which we were happy with as it was cheap...However, unsurprisingly we are now motivated to repair the Gimbal unit, but the local DJI distributor is pretty unhelpful. One option is to replace the entire unit, camera and all for circa $250USD. The other option is repairing it. Is there a way to determine what the actual problem is? Or should we just bite the bullet and replace the entire unit....Cheers, Drew.

I'm very familiar with the P3 standard. Not so with the P3 4K. With the P3 standard it would be a high probability the ribbon cable that carries the power to the motors. There is also a short ribbon cable that goes from the gimbal to the drone main board. On the P3S the one that goes from the gimbal to the main board is an 8 lead ribbon cable. 4 leads together are 12 volts and the 4 on the other side are ground. In either scenario some leads could be broken.

I bought a 2h Phantom 3 4k for my son (10yrs) to learn. The camera works fine, but the gimbal was shot - which we were happy with as it was cheap...However, unsurprisingly we are now motivated to repair the Gimbal unit, but the local DJI distributor is pretty unhelpful. One option is to replace the entire unit, camera and all for circa $250USD. The other option is repairing it. Is there a way to determine what the actual problem is? Or should we just bite the bullet and replace the entire unit....Cheers, Drew.

When you say gimbal was shot what do you mean? Does it hand limp? or move around on its own? If you hold the gimbal in your hand with the drone off and rotate the gimbal motors they should swivel freely. Then wiggle the motors on the gimbal gently like a loose tooth. They should be firm and not wiggle. If any feel obstructed or wiggle then you need to replace that motor. If the gimbal shakes around or hangs limp its a good chance it the ribbon cable. Pictures or a short video would be helpful.
Also when it comes to Camera/gimbals they are a single unit sold buy DJI. Only a few of us actually repair gimbals professionally.

Yes like above good advice,,can you pan cam up and down with gimble wheel on remote,if not in app there is a calibrate gimble but not think that fix the picture issue,,if that has been tryed along with a full reinstall of the app (djigo)and still no go look at a replacement ribbon cable set ,very cheap and might cure your problem (should cure it unless cam cooked for some reason)could also inspect board in back of cam for burning mark or damage,,if look ok it probly is so look back at ribbon cable set,save 200 straight away

U-Tube has several videos on the ribbon cable replacement....watch it over and over and You can git er done...The copper foil is very thin at the bare connection point.so BE CAREFUL in mating it UP to the arm sides...Great Post ianzone ! ^^^^^^

Thank you so much for your advice everyone. I'll give your recommendations a go, then report back! Regards, Drew

OK so I have looked at the videos and determine that I don't have the skill or tools to replace the ribbon cable. The local distributor is useless, their only suggestion is for them to pack the drone off to China to see if they can fix it. Is there anyone in Auckland NZ looking at this forum who could help me please? Regards, Drew

I just bought a 4k professional with broken camera and gimbal.
It has no connection to the application, nothing happens when I power it on.
I'll had changed the ribbon cable but no change.
The led on the board indicates with a green led that turns red and then back to green.
Any ideas what I should do.
Sorry for the bad gramma but it was some years ago I went to school ;)

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wkflysaphan4