Deserializer Disconnected - Hardware Malfunction

Reaction score
Phantom 4 Pro owner here

Skip to the bottom if you want to know a possible solution

As a Xmas present to myself, I ordered DJI goggles RE along with the HDMI module upgrade for my remote. They finally arrived the other day and, while waiting for the goggles to charge I installed the HDMI module. I followed the directions carefully and it seemed to install without incident. I restarted the remote and app and it asked to do a firmware update which I did (twice) and then rebooted. Everything seemed to work normally and when the goggles had charged up a bit I connected them via the USB and played around with the head tracking on the camera. Everything seemed to work as advertised.
The next day I wanted to try it out on a flight, but wanted to check things out carefully before using the goggles. I connected things up as usual and did a short flight (basically hovering in the back yard) just to make sure it was working. I landed and was preparing the goggles to be connected via HDMI and the picture froze on the tablet. (I hadn't plugged anything in yet) I restarted the drone and the remote and then I got the error "Deserializer Disconnected - Harware Malfunction contact DJI support for repair" I googled around a bit and there are many people with this issue but not many solutions. Doing a hard reset on the remote (C1+C2+Camera+shutter while restarting) got rid of the error temporarily. I was able to connect as normal and even connect with the goggles (over USB) and do a flight with head tracking (super fun!). Yes, I was safe and flew LOS wile a friend had the goggles on and vice-versa. Then we tried to switch to HDMI for just the ride-along effect I got the error again and couldn't get a picture on the remote. I hard reset the remote again and the error went away but the picture was much choppier and laggier than normal with lots of artifacts.
So I sent this story to DJI support and this is how they responded:

Thank you for contacting DJI Technical Support.

We do apologize for the inconvenience that you are experiencing with your HDMI board. Rest assured that we are here to help you out regarding your concern.

To address your concern, unfortunately, the app does not work while connecting an external display. Please decrease the bitstream below 8MBPS.

Once you're done, please give us a feedback if the issue was resolved or not.

I hope I was able to assist you with regards to your concern.

Thank you for choosing DJI. Have a great day.

Best Regards,
Zy
DJI Tech
nical Support​

I'm not sure what they thought they were answering but it had nothing to do with my problem. Also, are they saying that the DJI Go app doesn't work when something is connected to the HDMI? That makes no sense.

**Possible Solution**

I have taken the HDMI board out of the remote and cleaned all the ribbon cables with electrical contact cleaner and put everything back together. Since then, I have restarted several times using multiple devices (iPad, Android Tablet, Samsung phone) and I haven't gotten the error and things seem to work.

I kinda sorta feel like the picture is a bit choppier than it has been? It's hard to tell. Also, I have now tried the goggles via HDMI and it feels like low framerate even though they say it's 720p30

As an aside, I had a temporary problem when I connected the iPad with a non-apple (cheapo) lightning cable. The iPad complained about it but the app still connected. I switched to the apple original cable without shutting down and everything seemed to work except I couldn't get the camera to go into video mode or manual mode. It was behaving very strange. It went back to normal with a complete reset.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BobDan