DBS vs ARGtek

Modified the argtek by adding the fpvlr long range kit. Next are the boosters. 1500' no loss of signal or video but hard to see that far away.
Did you not like the argtec and just add the panel to it's connecters or what azpilot .

Just messing around with different configs. The panel's and antenna had to be adjusted based on where the drone was, this I just hold and point. I think I can get further with this setup in the neighborhood than the other.

I also wanted to keep the clean look without drilling more holes to try different things out.

Reactions: dirkclod
Just messing around with different configs. The panel's and antenna had to be adjusted based on where the drone was, this I just hold and point. I think I can get further with this setup in the neighborhood than the other.

I also wanted to keep the clean look without drilling more holes to try different things out.
Was just curious , thanks :)

Was just curious , thanks :)
NP this new setup just cost me another $350 as wife just ordered her new sewing machine lol. The price I pay to play!

NP this new setup just cost me another $350 as wife just ordered her new sewing machine lol. The price I pay to play!
We all do . Wonder what I would have to let mine get to swing that 5K iMac :)

Reactions: azpilot61
We all do . Wonder what I would have to let mine get to swing that 5K iMac :)
Start with Alaska cruise, that's what the 3 drones cost me! :eek:

Start with Alaska cruise, that's what the 3 drones cost me! :eek:
girl crying.jpg

Reactions: azpilot61
I for one am shocked at the cost for the ArgTek. It uses two $8 panels and an equally cheap omnidirectional antenna. It should be about $40 at best. And if drilling holes in your TX is a problem, just run the wires through the existing antenna hole. If you are going to modify your TX you may as well get a DBS or the FPVLR.

My range is atrocious on my new drone (bout 2 weeks old). Only about 140m and 50m high. I have managed and 240 m away and 120m high on my second flight but since then it has been hopeless. I contacted DJI and they said reset controller but it did nothing. Will the DBS make it better or do I have a dud?

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

Hughyg, have you tried flying in other locations? For me, the single most limiting factor is interference (from WiFi?) in urban settings. Try flying in an open field away from homes. If you get the same results, you may have a coax cable inside your controller that wasn't seated correctly at the factory. A DIY fix if you're up for it.

Hughyg, have you tried flying in other locations? For me, the single most limiting factor is interference (from WiFi?) in urban settings. Try flying in an open field away from homes. If you get the same results, you may have a coax cable inside your controller that wasn't seated correctly at the factory. A DIY fix if you're up for it.
I've only flown it at my farm where there wouldn't be much if any interference. I'm not overly techy to fix controller. Does this look alright.
212c78b07644146dc123cf13a02ba6d1.jpg

I was thinking the DBS might be all I need to fix it

I'd remove the glue and check, too hard to tell if its plugged in or not

I'd remove the glue and check, too hard to tell if its plugged in or not

Mmmm think I'll just try to return it first then get one that has no issues before I install the dbs mod. Would be super annoying to install it just to find out the drone is defective and out of warranty as I drilled into remote!!

Azpilot61 is correct on the removing the glue in order to check it out. You really have to feel the 'set' or click when the ufl seats in correctly. However, returning the unit is the safer (but takes longer) solution. :)

At any rate, with your environment, you should be getting at least the 3280 feet as advertised. I can go 4500 feet and maintain control when I fly in open, wifi free areas - stock without mods.

I would think the moment the cables are removed from the boards... bye bye warranty anyway.

Can anyone tell me (or direct me if its been addressed in another thread here) if DBS has any specs on their antennas? I'm looking for firm dB gain numbers to compare with the ARGtek unit.

I have had outstanding results with the parabolic attachment (windsurfer type with Copper as the reflector material) on the stock antenna. Max distance, once, was 7949 feet but that was with a very narrow beam width and flown until the RTH kicked in. Very scary. Normal stock antenna is decent with 3200 feet in clean (no RFI) environment. So, before I choose one over the other... has anyone posted results on using the DIY windsurfer on a ARGtek 5.8 GHz antenna?

Second question... Has anyone considered installing the ITElite/DBS antenna directly, without the SMA mounts to the body of the controller? In other words, purchasing cables that fit directly from the boards to the antenna panel and eliminate a junction point. Every junction causes signal loss so maybe that would increase range just a tad. The holes in the remote would be very small as well. I will be making the mod a permanent one so taking the panel on and off often wouldn't be a factor.

f3d96740a827940140610496238e65b6.jpg

Stock with surfer. 10,557ft. I also have an ARGtek on the way and am worried I'm gonna mess up my good stock setup.

Last edited:
I did not see any beneficial gain with ArgTek over stock to justify the expense and install when I had my Standard. I just installed DBS in my Advance, but have not flown yet to compare against stock.

I did not see any beneficial gain with ArgTek over stock to justify the expense and install when I had my Standard. I just installed DBS in my Advance, but have not flown yet to compare against stock.

There is no comparison.

Think about it this way...

ARGTEK - you STILL have to open the controller, and you have to mount two HEAVY antennas where the light flimsy light ones once existed. In my opinion the pass through adapters that allow the ARGTEK in the first place cannot support the additional weight, and for sure the "mounting" is not designed to support two antennas hanging off the front. But let's say it does, and I'm wrong (which I could be)... The ARGTEK is all over this forum as an inferior product to the DBS or FPVLR setup. It just doesn't work as good, in all the testing I have seen. So you're going to open the controller, void the warranty, pay for and install ARGTEK, then you're probably going to get "some" gains... And want more. Then you're going to buy a $100 DBS antenna with all the installation kit you now do not need.

My point is just get what is proven to work. The DBS and the ARGTEK I believe are interchangeable once the installation is complete on the Controller.

Many of us went through this debate before deciding. I'm glad I went to DBS it's a great setup and works amazing.

f3d96740a827940140610496238e65b6.jpg

Stock with surfer. 10,557ft. I also have an ARGtek on the way and am worried I'm gonna mess up my good stock setup.

cb485c28f15e76621e60ab0f8cf4d116.jpg

My stock with windsurfer also did quite good. 12600ft. Also wonder if it will mess up my stock performance with ARGtek or DBS. Let me know what how it perform after you install it. Not sure if it worth to pay extra to upgrade to P3A if it cost $110 to upgrade DBSmod.

My point is just get what is proven to work. The DBS and the ARGTEK I believe are interchangeable once the installation is complete on the Controller.
I agree. I chose the ARGtek at the time because I was really not interested in the distance thing. I wanted to improve my video. I would lose video way before I lost control. The ARGtek system fixed that for me. But lately I have been getting bit by that **** distance bug..:) So I may go ahead and purchase the DBS. Installation should be very easy because of the ARGtek. All the wires have been brought out already.

It does seem that the DBS by all reports thats I have been reading is far superior for distance than the ARGtek, although it does cost a bit more. I guess it will all come down to what you are looking for and what you want to spend. If you later are deciding to go for more distance then it would make sense to spend the money up front.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers