DBS Mod on my P3S, installed and tested. New Personal Best 5425' in high WiFi interference area

Today i went out for my 2nd test.. Got 4,300 feet. Me personal best so far. But it was so windy, i decided not to push it, plus i started loosing both radio and wifi signal right about 4,300'.
Im very happy with the results, especially in my residential neighborhood...
74111.jpg

Reactions: dirkclod
Thanks for that link...me be trying to go back now !

Added / Nope..that didn't work :(

No issues with the app today. Very happy about that. Apparently there is another major iphone update in the works. Not sure if i will be comfortable with updating tho.
Every time i hear "update" it gives me a very uneasy feeling..:expressionless:

Reactions: dirkclod
No issues with the app today. Very happy about that. Apparently there is another major iphone update in the works. Not sure if i will be comfortable with updating tho.
Every time i hear "update" it gives me a very uneasy feeling..:expressionless:
That issue I have seen is not all the time but has happened . I tried to go back but no good . I kinda hope for the next one if it fix's that .
If that is in fact what is causing it .
I didn't used to mind updating but am like you now :)

Just installed my DBS mod this weekend. Better performance all around well worth the time and money. First distance test was impressive at 11,224 feet. Second distance test was same location same night fresh battery but opposite direction 10,621 feet. I flew both flights until I lost connection and this is when things got a little weird. Usually DJI go will initiate Go Home in both cases FPV was lost and connection was lost shortly after. I had to manually activate RTH by toggling switch. Like OP my FPV would not reboot. I would have to power down my bird and remote to reconnect. A word of caution when attempting long range test be familiar with manual RTH and start flight going upwind. Those long range RTH are a little nerve wracking, especially with a headwind.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

Just installed my DBS mod this weekend. Better performance all around well worth the time and money. First distance test was impressive at 11,224 feet. Second distance test was same location same night fresh battery but opposite direction 10,621 feet. I flew both flights until I lost connection and this is when things got a little weird. Usually DJI go will initiate Go Home in both cases FPV was lost and connection was lost shortly after. I had to manually activate RTH by toggling switch. Like OP my FPV would not reboot. I would have to power down my bird and remote to reconnect. A word of caution when attempting long range test be familiar with manual RTH and start flight going upwind. Those long range RTH are a little nerve wracking, especially with a headwind.

Great distance!! Without a doubt well worth a little over $100+ to double or triple the stock distance. Now my Standard doesn't suck anymore.. I had fun installing the mod and testing how far i could go. But you are right about the RTH. In my case, something caused the app to crash, and at that time i was in RTH mode and had to think quick to cancel it as my bird was attempting to land. Otherwise it would've landed on top of my house or crashed into a tree. I fly from my back yard next to my house and a few trees, there are a lot of obstacles, so i always have to land it manually.
If dont think the app crash was caused by the mod. Thinking maybe it was the recent phone update. Do you also use an iphone?
Actually today i was in manual RTH mode after loosing FPV link, i used the S2 switch to initiate it, so my remote beeping as usual as i waited for the drone to come back to me, all of the sudden the beeping stopped. i looked at the screen, it was still grayed out/not connected. it usually reconnects after drone gets closer to me and picks up the signal. today it did not. so i had to do a manual RTH again, for the 2nd time, and then a few minutes later my drone came back to me. That was kinda strange... Just gotta be careful and think quick.

That's a bit never
Great distance!! Without a doubt well worth a little over $100+ to double or triple the stock distance. Now my Standard doesn't suck anymore.. I had fun installing the mod and testing how far i could go. But you are right about the RTH. In my case, something caused the app to crash, and at that time i was in RTH mode and had to think quick to cancel it as my bird was attempting to land. Otherwise it would've landed on top of my house or crashed into a tree. I fly from my back yard next to my house and a few trees, there are a lot of obstacles, so i always have to land it manually.
If dont think the app crash was caused by the mod. Thinking maybe it was the recent phone update. Do you also use an iphone?
Actually today i was in manual RTH mode after loosing FPV link, i used the S2 switch to initiate it, so my remote beeping as usual as i waited for the drone to come back to me, all of the sudden the beeping stopped. i looked at the screen, it was still grayed out/not connected. it usually reconnects after drone gets closer to me and picks up the signal. today it did not. so i had to do a manual RTH again, for the 2nd time, and then a few minutes later my drone came back to me. That was kinda strange... Just gotta be careful and think quick.

That's a bit unnerving. When the beeping stopped and you toggled S2 again to restart RTH, did the beeping resume? How far were you out when that happened?

That's a bit never

That's a bit unnerving. When the beeping stopped and you toggled S2 again to restart RTH, did the beeping resume? How far were you out when that happened?

Year for a second i thought that was the end.
I was out approx 3,600', lost WiFi video link/screen went gray, i toggled S2 RTH, it beeped for about a minute than stopped! Screen was still gray/ disconnected.
I waited for a few seconds...Nothing, silence. Thats when all them crazy thoughts went thru my head. I toggled S2 again, and thank god the beeping resumed, and a couple of minutes later it came back.. I dont know how far I was out when RTH dropped, because i had no FPV connection and no visual. I dont know if its a big deal or not but certainly a very unpleasant feeling, since it has never happened before, but before i was flying 'local' within 1500' feet. Just recently i got the mod and started going far. I just thought that was odd. Im still confident in my drone, its a great flying machine, but gotta stay cautious!

When I lose FPV I switch to satellite view I can monitor my drones location from that. I initiate RTH manually by toggling switch on remote. Once drone is overhead I cancel RTH and manually land. I am currently using an iPhone 6s with iOS 9.2.1.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

Other than these distance test flights, both mod and app have been solid. Two miles exceeds both my expectations and needs for my flying purposes.

When I lose FPV I switch to satellite view I can monitor my drones location from that. I initiate RTH manually by toggling switch on remote. Once drone is overhead I cancel RTH and manually land. I am currently using an iPhone 6s with iOS 9.2.1.

Thats a good idea.. I usually wait for my drone to get closer, pick up signal and reconnect, and then i land. Never thought of tracking it on the sat view. again it only happened to me once where i coudn't reconnect because of the app crash. If it happens again , then its probably some kind of a recent iphone update issue.. Im also thinking of trying that Litchi app as a back up, or maybe even replacing Go app if i get better stability and no crashes. Also i've been reading it has a pre-plan way point feature, im thinking it could be useful if i can set up way points on my computer and then fly.
This way i can probably get some better video footage. It probably be helpful for you also if you are doing a lot of filming of fishing, boating etc., set it up to fly in a circle or square so you dont need to worry about actually flying it...

I totally agree with you. I just want to be completely familiar with Go app before introducing any third party apps "variables". To be honest I have been considering paying a little extra for the Autopilot app. Autopilot seems to take camera control to a level above Lichi. However I do knot know this firsthand this is only what I have gathered through web research. I think the Satellite view is under utilized in most cases but it sure does ease the nerves on those LONNGGG RTH periods.

test #2 with my new DBS mod went great today I never lost signal at all and had full bars all the way. went out just over 5,000 ft before a got chicken **** and went home. Could of gone who knows how far.
Wow you are doing better than me with my range mod. I think interference has everything to do with distance you must be in a good area. Great Job!
Im still waiting for my GPS Tracker to come in the mail. Going long without a tracker is risky and you might lose your quad. God forbid you hit a bird or a sudden solar flare disrupts your GPS things can go wrong. Even a $20 tracker from Ebay is cheap insurance just wire tie it on and fly with confidence!

I also use UAV Forcast app everytime to see the KP number, wind, rain etc. KP is solar interference that can disrupt GPS signals. Find it free at the app store!

On the bright side, i got my new persona best today = 5415' in high WiFi interference area. I know a lot of guys get way over 5K' with their non-modded Standards, so its probably not a big deal,
but to me it is :) lol.. Losing signal right at 1,300' gets old very very fast.. It was a scary flight tho. The local weather forecast was showing 10mph winds, well the actual wind was 2-3 stronger.
My RTH took forever to get back. With full throttle, it was barely moving. When checked Healthy Drones flights, man, it was battling 28-30mph head winds. Thank god i didn't really push it this time.

FlightRecordFeb27.jpg

HDWindFeb27.jpg

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers