DBS Antenna - Any Reason NOT To?

Reaction score
I've been doing some distance flying and getting over 2 miles on my stock antennas but have been considering the DBS antenna. Other than the risk of an issue while installing the antenna, is there any reason NOT to get the DBS antenna?

I've been doing some distance flying and getting over 2 miles on my stock antennas but have been considering the DBS antenna. Other than the risk of an issue while installing the antenna, is there any reason NOT to get the DBS antenna?
The majority of the reports have been very positive and it adds distance and/or signal penetration-- I have mine, but haven't installed it-- still waiting on the DJI HDMI out board-- want to do both.

Any idea if it requires more directionality?
Of course. It's a directional panel. The one I have on my V+ is pretty sensitive... a couple degrees left or right of LOS and signal degrades rapidly, and if you don't get it back quickly by doing the DBS Dance , you get to fight off RTH a lot. However, if you're just flying out and back in a straight line, they can't be beat for the price.

Reactions: rrmccabe
Of course. It's a directional panel. The one I have on my V+ is pretty sensitive... a couple degrees left or right of LOS and signal degrades rapidly, and if you don't get it back quickly by doing the DBS Dance , you get to fight off RTH a lot. However, if you're just flying out and back in a straight line, they can't be beat for the price.

Well that's why I asked in the first place - to find things like this out. How does the directionality compare to the stock and other antenna options out there?

When you say a few degrees out of line of sight, do you mean pointed dead on at the drone or in the same direction? Just thinking logistics of when it's a few miles out.

Well that's why I asked in the first place - to find things like this out. How does the directionality compare to the stock and other antenna options out there?

When you say a few degrees out of line of sight, do you mean pointed dead on at the drone or in the same direction? Just thinking logistics of when it's a few miles out.
I've only tried stock and DBS on my V+, so can't compare to FPVLR (though I'd imagine it would be similar), however, the stock setup is much more lenient irt direction. P3 characteristics would be similar. Obviously the further out you get the more dead-on you have to be, and the only real way to tell is by the signal strength meter fluctuating. I spent a lot of time slowly turning myself left and right while watching the signal strength meter to find the sweet spot. I mean, for the price it's kind of a no-brainer. However, I also have a 2nd controller for times when I just wanted to fly around and not have to worry about keeping myself pointed at the bird. I won't be getting one for my P3 because I feel the distance is sufficient for my needs. But if you decide to go for it, I highly recommend a second controller... there's no turning back once you install the panel.

I find that the directionality is about the same as the stock antenna. But I can easily have trees or houses in front of me and not even get a flicker in the screen. As long as you are not flying behind you I see no problem. With the old antenna if I went straight up I might loose video unless I move the controller. I have yet to notice this with the DBS.

I have the DBS Mod for my P3P and honestly I am on the fence about the distance gained vs the videos people are showing. So to put it bluntly I am no even close to the 500% or so distance gained that videos are showing. I might be close to the 180% mark with no obstructions, no power lines or other broadcasting antennas. The bad I am not sure you can turn back to stock once the modification has been done. Anyone else having the same results?

I think it depends on where you'll be flying. I got 3.4 miles with the stock antenna and there was a post here somewhere showing 6+ miles with the stock antenna and a battery mod for the P3.

I'd say if you're flying over flat rural areas mostly it's not needed. My 3.4 miles was in the city but I stayed a few hundred feet away from houses and fly over undeveloped land.

I figured it's relatively cheap and there might be a time when I'm flying over wooded areas with hills etc.

I find that the directionality is about the same as the stock antenna. But I can easily have trees or houses in front of me and not even get a flicker in the screen. As long as you are not flying behind you I see no problem. With the old antenna if I went straight up I might loose video unless I move the controller. I have yet to notice this with the DBS.
I can tell you flat out that the signal penetration in wood areas have been much better for me. I didn't get it for extra distance, but for better signal in wooded areas. The distance gain is a bonus for me if I benefit from it.

I sent my rc in to have it done, can't go wrong! More distance, and I am actually controlling from behind trees and other obstacles with no degradation - amazing - it also fits nicely in a ThinkTank case with my P3P - a perfect match!

for me not worth it, with a windsurfer you can get to where the battery permits,
Its funny you mention the windsurfers, I had a nice pair, it was one piece and fit over antennas nicely - the downside I found was that the windsurfers provided a much narrower field with a sharp falloff - only once did i lose signal behind some trees on a 3km flight! The dos I have found has just as powerful but far more dispersed field, where I even flew completely behind me about 200 mm and never lost any signal! Just my thoughts - also much better at breaking through trees, etc

p

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shimuafeni fredrik