Day one crash and burn

Reaction score
Crashed and burned my first flight. Hello. I just joined and this is my first post. I wish it could be better news. Flying in an opened field I ventured a little too far and lost a fight with a tree. My brand new Phantom 2 Vision went. down. Unfortunately before I could find it the motors kept running and overheated. I'm pretty sure I need at least two motors and a new shell. The overheated motors melted the motor mounts slightly so I assume the lower shell will have to be replaced. Seems to me the motors could have been fuse protected to prevent this. On the bright side the props were not damaged. I wish the props had broken away. It would have worked out better. Oh well. Any thoughts on the shell replacement and maybe somehow adding fuse protection?

You may want to replace the ESC's with those bad motors. They are normally damaged if the motors run long enough to melt the shell. When you get ready to do the swap take lots of pictures and tag the wires or make yourself a wiring chart or diagram. Look at you tube video on the shell replacment and you can see what you need to do to free the components for the swap.

My brother suggested the same thing. He's been flying his made from scratch quads for a few years. All of the motors will turn but two are in a bind, (turning slower) when I did a quick check. I don't think the swap over to the new shell will be too difficult. I'm used to working on camera equipment so circuit boards and soldering are not a problem. I've already photographed everything with the top shell removed and made a few notes. I'm trying not to replace anything I don't need to keep the cost down. What do you think of the idea of fuse protection on the motors. It seems like DJI would have thought of that. Thanks for your response. Maybe I'll be back in the air by the end of next week.

Sorry to hear this pounder !! Did the same thing as you awhile back to one of my arms when I had a minor crash but had lost contact and couldn't stop the motors quick enough
motor d1.jpg
I have never heard of anyone doing what you suggest . Good luck with the project and do as RoyVa suggest and do take Lots of photo's !! I wish those pads had been separate from the shell and I would only had to replace the motor and esc .

And welcome to the forum !!

This pic shows the deformation of the screws that hold the motor in place. At first glance I thought maybe it was as simple as shifting the motor back into position but we all know it can't be simple with any mechanical or electronic problem. I hope the file uploads.

Attachments

• DSCN0544.JPG
    DSCN0544.JPG
    3.2 MB · Views: 790
This pic shows the deformation of the screws that hold the motor in place. At first glance I thought maybe it was as simple as shifting the motor back into position but we all know it can't be simple with any mechanical or electronic problem. I hope the file uploads.
Yea I believe yours got way hotter than mine :eek: Mine was caused when it crashed or just landed and 1 prop couldn't turn as the rest
were and my pads melted .
All part of it bro !!!
Sucks though huh !

Yeah it sucks alright. :( Three out of four look like that but only two motors are spinning bad. I'll order two motors and the shell and go from there. As far as the motor control circuits I'm not sure how to evaluate damage, if any to the circuit boards. As in my 20+ years in camera repair you start with the simplest solution first. Too many people jump ahead and end up wasting time and money. I think I'm going to like this forum. Thanks for your input.

Ya this place is the best !! It has taught me a lot ... well let me rephrase that .. All I know about these things and From what I have learned If I was you
I wouldn't stop with just the motors and go ahead with the ESC's also cause they not that high and instead of finding out they are bad when up a few hundred feet :eek::eek: That few dollars spent might save you several hundreds if not your whole bird ! Been there done that !! A camera is in your hands when this thing is up in the air . I do see what ya saying though ;)
That's just what I would do and hope ya the best with it and look forward to reading about your progress with this and do hope you share it with us as we always learning . I am anyway ! :)

Now that I have reread this whole thread I know what I would do and am doing this to the Vision I now have . Did it to the last one ..Mia...RIP :(
Already have the motors and esc's in hand . I would upgrade all my motors to the V3 one's ..2312's and the 2.1 ESC's ! You will IMHO really see a difference with them as I did . I also installed the V3 GPS and compass . I like adding to what I have is why I do what I do to mine and isn't really necessary but is one heck of a good feeling flying it knowing what I have done !
Ya see... me easily amused :D:D
I've just basically made mine into a P2V V3 .
See :D
Show it every chance I get ;)

Reactions: Hughie and Fplvert
Unfortunately for me cost is a factor. By the time I add four new motors and four new motor control circuits as well as the shell I might as well buy a new one. Just joking of course. I could do all of the above for about $225.
Bout right . I just like messing with em .

A set of 15.00 prop guards would have saved some grief.I blasted the trunk of a tree at full tilt with my V2.My depth perception is a little off.The bird sat out for a week in the rain before I could find it in tall grass I let it dry out and it was good to go.My other tree experience with my Vision .It sat 90' foot up a tree for a week before I was able to get it down.That was in my back yard with a fly away.Now that one was hanging by the prop guards.

Gotta remember to kill the motors when you drop.

To further troubleshoot it may be worth disconnecting the problem motor wires from the ESC and seeing how they turn? Shorted/damaged FETs on ESC will make motors hard to turn.

Obviously with melted plastic no doubt the motors got hot but they may have survived and the ESC could be the hard-to-turn problem.

I'm unsoldering the the motor wires now. I have a pic of the wiring and and a hand drawn diagram to keep track of the wiring differences between the different motors.(CW; CCW; Left and Right; Front and Back. I'm glad I noticed that. I'm ordering two motors, two ESC's, and the frame. The ESC's might not be necessary. Maybe I should hold off. What do you "experts" think? I consider everyone who has had to go through events with trees, buildings, cliffs, etc. to be an expert. :):)

That's what I keep hearing. I'll probably order them. Not expensive so why not. I might try using the old ones for a trial run and I can always have them as spares for next ordeal with Mother Nature.
I hear ya !! Just hope your trial run isn't very high and then ya find out ya should have changed them !!
Hey Me not trying to convince you to just change em just saying while you have it open do it . Save some time and maybe your bird .
Your trail run is not gonna be on the ground . I fly high and several thousand feet away . Me not chancing a few dollars to have one go out like that bro . You might not need to change them . Take the chance and I do hope ya the best and this Is just my opinion as I have said .

Last edited:
Reactions: dirkclod
Dirk. Could you show me a gif of your P2V V3. You know that one where it rotates on a table ;)
Ya funny too :D I like that in a fellow member :D:):D:)o_O

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jody.paugh@fullerandsons.