Crew members injured as plane avoids near collision with suspected drone

LuvMyTJ

Admin
Premium Pilot
Reaction score

I would like to know how it went from a balloon to a sUAS. o_O

Two cabin crew suffered slight injuries during the incident, Porter said.
“The pilots’ initial assessment was that it looked like a balloon. After debriefing, there is potential that the object was a drone,” said Porter Airlines spokesman Brad Cicero.

SOURCE: Crew members injured as plane avoids near collision with suspected drone

Sounds like a load of crap to me. They were +- 9000 feet AGL when it happened? I HIGHLY doubt it was a drone/quad/anything RC. Probably a runaway moored balloon. Just another news source fear-mongering about RCs.. :nomouth:

Reactions: Mikepoo
I listened to the radio chatter and there were several reports of a group of balloons in the area... where or how a group of balloons at 5000' turned into to a drone is beyond me.

An investigator stated it was definitely not a bird because it eas at least 3 meters wide. A drone? Maybe a military one?

An investigator stated it was definitely not a bird because it eas at least 3 meters wide. A drone? Maybe a military one?

EDIT: I apologize as I was mistaken on the source of this audio. It was not from the flight near Toronto. It was another flight that had a similar experience. It was within the article I read about the Toronto incident. Here is the link to the incident the audio came from - Lufthansa reports near miss with drone over Los Angeles

They are talking about balloons in the cockpit. Listen to the audio here, it will download the file - http://www.liveatc.net/forums/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=13092.0;attach=8763 …

Last edited:
Reactions: captainmilehigh
Yes, pilots initial assessment was balloon...AFTER DEBRIEFING it could be a drone. Hmmm,...??

There was already a thread on this topic. Please check to be sure you're not posting duplicate content.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20