Crashes, Fly-aways and Problems, Oh My?

Reaction score
I am not here to stir up flamers, or disrespecting pilots, people nor DJI.

I did buy a Phantom 3 Professional and really enjoyed the sport. Never had a problem. The bird flew beautifully. listened carefully about the precautions and procedures. Did the software updates. Followed the FAA rules and regulations.

But I have not flown in over a year because a large number of problems posted here. I was about to sell my Phantom 3, and buy a Mavica Pro, hoping it was less plagued with problems, but the serious problems began to surface.

The outlay of about a thousand dollars and potential loss has stopped me from enjoying the habit and not attending this Forum.

I don't know where to go with this. DJI seems to be the King of quad-copters, so trying to find a less fragile quadcopter until technology makes these less vulnerable.

I would like to get back into flying. But whenever I see this Forum that I should stay away from a potential thousand-dollar-loss.

Can anyone help me with the best and safest to fly? I would appreciate not being flamed, but helped and supported.

Thank you, seriously, for your kind support.

If you are afraid of flying because you will have an accident. Why not just flying in a public park and open space without people around, where you can build the confidence you need.

Bill, You are not alone in your concern about fly-away and crash incidents that can happen with drones of any type, including the multi-million dollar military drones. These drones are very complex with lots of electronics and four motors that must be controlled perfectly. Most of the time they work flawlessly. Once in a while they fail and you can lose your investment. But remember, the incidents you read about here are the exception, not the rule.

The many thousands of people out there flying their DJI and other drones don't bother to post what a great flight they had. They are too busy charging their batteries and preparing for their next flight. A small number, certainly not all, of the incidents you read about happen because there is a certain percentage of the people flying drones are not proficient pilots, some take chances most would not, some do not update firmware, or follow rules or even common sense. Some don't bother to read the manual. Eventually, people like that are likely to have problems. Again, there are unquestionably failures not attributable to pilot error. There will always be a risk of loss. But most of us here find it worth the risk, and a lot more fun than flying a kite.

Don't give up. Enjoy your investment.

I would suggest that you fly what you have until you regain confidence. When you decide that you are ready for a newer model, choose one that has been out a while or wait for a few firmware releases to correct the early bugs that always happen with DJI products. In this hobby, don't spend what you cannot afford to lose.

Reactions: jcmarlow
But I have not flown in over a year because a large number of problems posted here. I was about to sell my Phantom 3, and buy a Mavic Pro, hoping it was less plagued with problems, but the serious problems began to surface.
The outlay of about a thousand dollars and potential loss has stopped me from enjoying the habit and not attending this Forum.
I don't know where to go with this. DJI seems to be the King of quad-copters, so trying to find a less fragile quadcopter until technology makes these less vulnerable.
I would like to get back into flying. But whenever I see this Forum that I should stay away from a potential thousand-dollar-loss.
Bill .. your thread title is crashes, flyaways and problems but if I read your post correctly, you haven't had any yourself.
You are just afraid you might if you fly?
Whenever a "flyaway gets reported, I'm one of the people that investigates it.
I don't think there are any more reported flyaways or crashes than there have ever been.
And investigating the reports, the usual cause is pilot error as it always has been.
Can anyone help me with the best and safest to fly?
The best and safest is DJI.
They make some fabulous machines with amazing technology.
I shot this two days ago and shoot pics like this every week:
DJI_0466a-X3.jpg

I couldn't do this unless my drone was 100% reliable and I couldn't do this with a drone from any other maker.
Ignore the negative posts on the forum, they are giving you a very false perception.

Your 'phobia' is quite understandable to me. I'm not an 'adventurous' flyer by any means - but I still often find myself wondering 'What if?'....

So if you want to be able to relax and not worry about totalling a load of cash, then take a step or so backwards and buy something like a Syma X5C-1 or similar.

It can't do all that a Phantom can, but at the price they sell for now, they're practically a giveaway.

Syma X5sc-1 Upgraded 6-axis RC Quadcopter Drone RTF Headless Mode HD Camera X5c | eBay

Throw the X5C-1 or whatever round a bit and have some fun! If you crash it, then it won't be that expensive and it'll be quite therapeutic too.

Then, after a while, come back to your Phantom... :)

Reactions: pomonabill220

I can certainly understand your concern.

If you are mostly concerned about the cost of REPLACING a lost / destroyed drone, then you might look into the possibility of insuring it. Some people have reported insuring their drone for approximately $70 a year.

As has been noted above Meta4 - who has yet to steer me wrong with his advice - is that a lot of "flyaways" are caused by the pilot's lack of familiarity with the drone.

Last edited:
Thank you for your kind replies. I realize that many people are quietly enjoying their drones. Hopefully, most people are doing well, why should they post? Since DJI is still selling a LOT of drones, primarily they are working well.

This Forum can be a great source of the need to be sure the drones are flying well, safely, and the best way of keeping them flying. I need to be looking at the side of the glass is full using an engineering metaphor.

I have not had a crash, flyaway or anything else. I will be using this Forum, make sure the best software is properly updated, following the latest regulations, and give it a flying time!

I say again, thank you for your kind replies. I now have a greater confidence. Will charge up my DJI Batteries and give it a go.

Thank you for your kind replies. I realize that many people are quietly enjoying their drones. Hopefully, most people are doing well, why should they post? Since DJI is still selling a LOT of drones, primarily they are working well.

This Forum can be a great source of the need to be sure the drones are flying well, safely, and the best way of keeping them flying. I need to be looking at the side of the glass is full using an engineering metaphor.

I have not had a crash, flyaway or anything else. I will be using this Forum, make sure the best software is properly updated, following the latest regulations, and give it a flying time!

I say again, thank you for your kind replies. I now have a greater confidence. Will charge up my DJI Batteries and give it a go.
I don't know if you have taken your 107 Test yet, but I highly encourage STUDYING for a 107 test, even if you don't plan on taking it.

I really like remotepilot101.com but I think it is $150, which is a lot of if you don't poan on getting 107 certified any time soon.

However, there are lots of FREE resources out there as well.

There are some people who claimed that they passed their 107 test just by watching this one free youtube video a handful of times:

I would say that I enjoy the HOBBY side of things much more now that I have my 107 certificate (plus I needed it for commercial use anyway, so for me it was justifiable).

And I used to be EXTREMELY worried whenever I tried flying my drone in the past. I am still CAUTIOUS now but I am no longer paranoid. Before, I guess I was scared because I didn't know what the risks were. Now I have a better idea of the risks and know what to do, when and where to fly, and it has added a lot of enjoyment and taken out most of the fear of flying.

I hope this helps.

Reactions: Russ43Phantom
Bill,

I mean no disrespect, but if you are worried about those issues then you will never enjoy the hobby. I can't believe the information here has stopped you from flying.

I have been flying R/C of one sort or another since the 70's and have lost count of how many times I have crashed and had a total loss. It's just part of the hobby.

As far as the Phantom are concern there are very few people have problem if they know how to fly. I am talking about flying in ATTI mode.

Just fly it and have fun. Put a tracker on it. I have the to-102 tracker on mine and use t-mobile for the gsm service so the only time I pucker up is going over water.

Good luck whatever you decide.

I would agree with Just Mark, go out and study for your 107, you will learn so much, gain confidence in your aircraft and in yourself, and probably learn all ablut pilot error and how it can be avoided. That in itself will limit considerably any problems you may have with your craft and it's flight.
I have just completed the UK equivalent and can vouch for its effects. I worried about what could happen. Now I worry how to make sure they don't.

Hi Bill,
I totally understand your fears. But think of one thing. If you don't fly your done you do this without any risk, of course. But you won't have any fun as well. And there will come a time when your done is outdated and will not give you any fun no more.
I recommend, fly carefully, make yourself a checklist and don't deviate from this. Then you most probably be on the save side.
From my own experience (last week I had my first crash in a tree): if you plan flights with Lichi etc. Do a first flight with the camera in flying direction and in the direction of the object you are going to observe. This way you won't fly into objects that haven't been there yesterday. Like trees that grow 35 meters overnight ;-)
Best wishes from Germany
Thomas

Now THAT'S the spirit!
My thoughts about these wonderful quads is to me, FIRST, they are an enjoyable sport, even though I can't just throw around $1K every day.
I bought my P3A after having a P2 for a while, and really enjoying it. I even get a thrill just flying out of my back yard!
I don't go for max distance / fastest speed / aerobatics.... I go for the thrill of just flying and learning.

Just don't get cocky and do stupid things (I don't think you will). That is where problems can occur and things go wrong.
Also, pay attention to your flying and don't try and "grandstand". Others will be impressed just like you are now!
Enjoy and have FUN!

Speaking of fears....mine is upgrading the firmware, not flying. My P3P flies great with the present firmware, but after reading all the woes of updating, afraid to proceed. Son had a P3S that was dead after update and warned me not to.

I am not here to stir up flamers, or disrespecting pilots, people nor DJI.

I did buy a Phantom 3 Professional and really enjoyed the sport. Never had a problem. The bird flew beautifully. listened carefully about the precautions and procedures. Did the software updates. Followed the FAA rules and regulations.

But I have not flown in over a year because a large number of problems posted here. I was about to sell my Phantom 3, and buy a Mavica Pro, hoping it was less plagued with problems, but the serious problems began to surface.

Can anyone help me with the best and safest to fly? I would appreciate not being flamed, but helped and supported.

Thank you, seriously, for your kind support.

Hi Bill,
I have over 429. air miles on my P3P. That is a lot of flying. I have not had a problem that I (or by calling DJI) couldn't solve. The P3P is a very reliable system. Why would you even want to buy another (or newer) Drone. The P3P does everything I want. I use Litchi most of the time to fly- not DJI go. See some of my flights in Colorado 2017 at www.tinyurl.com/JoeandJoyce Some flights as high as 13,000 feet ASL (still within 400 feet of the ground)
Cheers
Joe
KC7GHT

Reactions: jcmarlow
I agree with most of what is said here. My first post was about my Mavic crash (in DJI forum). My first post here was about my P4P flyaway (replaced by DJI). Now I’m posting my videos and enjoying my drones.

When my children began to drive, I was always very nervous until they had their first (and minor) accident. At that time, an no sooner, they developed a sense for defensive driving. A part of the defensive driving is a certain respect for anticipation of what can happen and taking pro-active steps to avoid an accident. Flying drones is exactly the same. The good news is that you seem to have studied or analyzed what can go wrong. Now make a check list of what can go wrong and adhere to it. Then you can go out and enjoy flying your drone.

Like driving, you WILL, at some point have an accident. Have you decided to avoid driving? I would guess not. But ... my bet is you have automobile insurance. Get drone insurance too. Then your accidents will be a learning experience, not a financial disaster.

Reactions: flyboy73
I would agree with Just Mark, go out and study for your 107, you will learn so much, gain confidence in your aircraft and in yourself, and probably learn all ablut pilot error and how it can be avoided. That in itself will limit considerably any problems you may have with your craft and it's flight.
I have just completed the UK equivalent and can vouch for its effects. I worried about what could happen. Now I worry how to make sure they don't.
I have my 107 and I don't think I'm more confident, that may just be me. It couldn't hurt to watch a few videos, but you'll be studying a lot of stuff that doesn't help with flying a drone. I gained confidence by flying. Find some wide open spaces, for me it was Jackson Hole, and air it out. It also helps to have a visual observer for those moments of panic when you lose sight of your Phantom in the sky. Understand how to use return to home. I also use control lock, at times. Practice.

Your 'phobia' is quite understandable to me. I'm not an 'adventurous' flyer by any means - but I still often find myself wondering 'What if?'....

So if you want to be able to relax and not worry about totalling a load of cash, then take a step or so backwards and buy something like a Syma X5C-1 or similar.

It can't do all that a Phantom can, but at the price they sell for now, they're practically a giveaway.

Syma X5sc-1 Upgraded 6-axis RC Quadcopter Drone RTF Headless Mode HD Camera X5c | eBay

Throw the X5C-1 or whatever round a bit and have some fun! If you crash it, then it won't be that expensive and it'll be quite therapeutic too.

Then, after a while, come back to your Phantom... :)
Ok Which is correct in your paragraphs or the Video X5SC-1 or X5C ? Please correct if you can

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20