Crashed P4pro

Reaction score
Screen Shot 2017-05-07 at 08.48.36.png
After recording my RTH point I took off yesterday evening and ascended. After 50 seconds of going straight up I reached 60 feet or so then the rotors turned off and it plummeted to the ground smashing the gimble completely off, ruining the landing gear and damaging the shell. I have a magic pro and p3 and have been flying for 2 years and never had this before. Looking at flight log it says ATTI mode kicked in but that shouldn't disengage rotors should it. I don't have DJI care as I never used it on my p3 so I'm stuck with a ruined p4pro which is going to cost a fortune to fix !

Attachments

• IMG_2101.JPG
    IMG_2101.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 493
  • IMG_2106.JPG
    IMG_2106.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 466
  • IMG_2107 2.JPG
    IMG_2107 2.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 442
  • IMG_2108 2.JPG
    IMG_2108 2.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 468
Last edited:
Please upload your TXT flight log here and post a link back here so we can see your flight data.

It would also be helpful to see your DAT flight log. You can find instructions for location your DAT flight log here. Upload it to a site like Dropbox.com and post a link back here.

Reactions: saraivac
here is the flight record.txt. I will try and do the dropbox bit as well .

Attachments

• DJIFlightRecord_2017-05-06_[19-41-20].txt
    159.1 KB · Views: 234
Im not sure I am doing this right ?

Attachments

• DJIFlightRecord_2017-05-06_[19-41-20].txt
    159.1 KB · Views: 204
View attachment 81785 After recording my RTH point I took off yesterday evening and ascended. After 50 seconds of going straight up I reached 60 feet or so then the rotors turned off and it plummeted to the ground smashing the gimble completely off, ruining the landing gear and damaging the shell. I have a magic pro and p3 and have been flying for 2 years and never had this before. Looking at flight log it says ATTI mode kicked in but that shouldn't disengage rotors should it. I don't have DJI care as I never used it on my p3 so I'm stuck with a ruined p4pro which is going to cost a fortune to fix !
Your P4Pro had an abrupt power loss. The method used to see this is to look at the motorVolt data which is 50 Hz. (The battery data is only 1 Hz and has a 1.5 second delay). At the end of the .DAT motorVolts were around 16 volts and then dropped to around 7 volts when the .DAT ends.
upload_2017-5-7_15-58-11.png

This incident is very similar to several Mavic incidents. Maybe there is a common manufacturing problem. IMHO you have a good warranty claim.

You might want to check out
Does the Mavic Have a Karma Problem? (Inflight Shutdowns)
Mavic Pro dropped out of the sky
Will my Mavic fall out of the sky?

Reactions: With The Birds
That is worrysome . . Just got my P4P+ Repaired and upgraded firmware . . going for a test flight . . please let us know if you find anything . . .at all
Flew it for about 25 min today basic stuff no fancy mode switching . . . all perfectly normal surface to 400ft about 1200ft distant. Camera did well also . . and got some nice stills and 4kUHD video. . . no issues at all

Thankyou bud for that info . Never suffered any power loss before . I was just about to go across the water on the map so was very lucky . I have sent the logs off to Dji so fingers crossed they agree that it is a manufacturers fault . Will keep you posted.

I'm glad your bird was ok David too !

Reactions: tak5501
Do you think the battery had a fault. Im afraid to put that in once I get it repaired ? The battery volts dropped so low I'm concerned. Its a new official DJI battery that has only been charged 8 times .

Do you think the battery had a fault. Im afraid to put that in once I get it repaired ? The battery volts dropped so low I'm concerned. Its a new official DJI battery that has only been charged 8 times .
IMHO it could be the battery or something inside the bird. Some of the posters over on the threads I referred to are convinced the incidents were caused by the battery not being seated properly. I don't find that very compelling though since the power loss incidents seem to be associated with an interval of manufacturing dates.

We have P4 Pro replacement shell, legs and cameras in stock. Let us know if we can help.
OhioDroneRepair.com

Sounds to me like a faulty battery . . possibly an internal wiring fault and you lost half the cells all at once(hence the 7.6v on all motors all at once). If it was a loose battery connection it would have gone to zero. Have not seen the data file but I can't think of anything internal to the machine that could cause that simultaneous behaviour on all four motors. Software maybe . . but rather unlikely. Did you get any further analysis back.

Reactions: BudWalker
Sounds to me like a faulty battery . . possibly an internal wiring fault and you lost half the cells all at once(hence the 7.6v on all motors all at once). If it was a loose battery connection it would have gone to zero. Have not seen the data file but I can't think of anything internal to the machine that could cause that simultaneous behaviour on all four motors. Software maybe . . but rather unlikely. Did you get any further analysis back.
That's interesting. Looking a little closer at the very end.
upload_2017-5-9_6-41-26.png

There are 2 samples between 16 volts and 7.6 volts.

The minimum voltage required for records to be written to the .DAT must be lower than the normal operating voltage. I had always assumed that the volts drops to 0 but there is some capacitance in the system. That's why a few records can still be written after the volts drop.

There are a few Mavic incidents where it was clear the battery became loose. (These occurred long before the recent spate of power outage incidents). Those incidents exhibited the (relatively) gradual motorVolts decline at the end.

My pet theory is that there is some safety circuitry in the battery that's supposed to prevent an explosive discharge. It's better to shutdown the battery than having a battery explosion. Just spit balling here; I don't know much about lipo batteries

So far I have had an email from Dji asking for details, data logs, details of what happened etc and am awaiting their verdict on possible causes. I hope they can repair free down to manufacturer fault. Will keep posted.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic