Crashed in a city

Let's stop it right now with the criticism. Seriously. Next critic gets a reply ban.

In any case please post the logs here man so that we can do an analysis

There's no need for analysis. This is an open and shut case. Compass interference. Without question. As for a fool proof drone, this is not it. There is no such thing. Yet.

The consensus is that you don't have to calibrate after every flight. Check you compass MOD-- should be around 1500..

MOD value is not a reliable criteria for whether or not to calibrate.

You've added to the bad rap we already have by flying in an area you had no right flying in!!!

You know not of what you speak. The OP's only mistake was to fly in the city without knowing how to do it safely.

To late Ian, I was issuing a warning as you were posting. Theres more where that came from if need be. There has been more than enough chances given here today.

Reactions: ianwood
Let's stop it right now with the criticism. Seriously. Next critic gets a reply ban.

There's no need for analysis. This is an open and shut case. Compass interference. Without question. As for a fool proof drone, this is not it. There is no such thing. Yet.

MOD value is not a reliable criteria for whether or not to calibrate.

You know not of what you speak. The OP's only mistake was to fly in the city without knowing how to do it safely.
Paying customers are not fools.... people save to buy these. A 1000 pound product should have at least cleverer SW or FW . E.g. the Yuneec Q500 that i used to own before i bought the P3A did not let u take off if there was any error the motors would not start.

I had full trust in this drone after my 2km flight over hk victoria harbour. I took off on the street in front of my friends n coworkers to show off my baby ..after a minute of climbing it turned by itself n just lost control n flew sideways towards a residential building almost hitting a window but luckily hit the concrete and fall on the podium luckily no one was there otherwise there will b lawsuit. I will demand a new drone as i am 100 % sure this is not human error .. Pls someone teach me how to post the video here so i u guys can judge.
Thanks for reading.
One main thing is you flew around and over buildings, traffic etc; when your asked not to do so. You are leaving yourself open to all sorts of problems with a huge number of radio signals around you, no clear path to satellites to help guide your aircraft, so that's just a couple of things you loaned yourself too. We all perhaps learn by our mistakes so hope this is a lesson well learnt.

Hey Aren I had a similar issue a month or so ago when I tried to calibrate and fly from a marina. Most definitely the problem was interference from all the boats and radios and metal around me. I had completely clear sky no bullrings around apart from a 1 story Carpark behind me. I kind of smelt something could go wrong but against my instinct I took off anyway and as I always do after take off I let it hover for around 10 seconds at 2-4meters high that's when I realised that something is definitely wrong with it as it started drifting uncontrollably. Lucky for me I somehow managed to land it safely with just narrowly missing the parking lot behind me. I even opened a tread about it here.

I find it that I had 2 advantages. One I was kind of expecting it to go wrong so was extremely alert.
Two I was still flying very low.

If I was in your situation I doubt I would have been able to save it. Believe me I speak from experience once this thing starts flying its own mind it kind of panics you a bit especially if taken by surprise even myself having read about so many times to switch to ATTI mode I still didn't do it as I was fully concentrating in counteracting the phantom drifting movements not playing with buttons and what if's putting it in ATTI might have made me loose that split second of concentration to save it from crashing into the Carpark. So everyone for them selves really and I bet half of the people that insulted you here never had a compass error in flight. But I would most definitely be the last person to put someone down something like this as I know how stressful it could be.

Now to finish off before anyone jumps on to me I am fairly new to drones only started since last June but I can tell you I know a lot about flying and responsibility as I fly real humans in the air since I am a qualified commercial pilot with instrument rating and the lot in the UK, and I had to deal with a few emergencies in my short time as a pilot including engine failures to say the least.

Here's a couple of photo to cheer you up a bit. I took this photo yesterday while at the Great Wall of China. Today I'm in Mongolia but I doubt I'm going to have some time to fly it here. PS I didn't yet have time to download the photos of the drone it's self but as soon as I do I will post them somewhere.

Enjoy
ImageUploadedByPhantomPilots - DJI Phantom Forum1443464639.144148.jpg
ImageUploadedByPhantomPilots - DJI Phantom Forum1443464668.569255.jpg

Reactions: JB-I
Wow that drone looks sexy.. I miss it so much rilly.. Started watching unboxing videos n reviews again to cheer me up . Did u stop over hk?

I am not surprised you had weak gps = you are basically flying down a canyon between all those skyscrapers!!

And the winds will swirl around all the buildings, So much electrical interference - possibly the very worst place you can find to fly a drone!!!

Classic case of why DJI warns "Dont fly by tall buildings".

What does this guy do? Fly by tall buildings then comes on here wanting answers... Im laughing. But, in all honesty I flew my Phantom all around Downtown Miami the other day. No problems.

I was in Hk last December but did not own the phantom at the time. Was planning to come to Mongolia via HK instead of Beijing but then I thought the Great Wall might be a bit more interesting since I had already been in HK. I was wondering in HK are you allowed to take off the drone in that park on top of the mountain which over looks the city. I cannot remember the name of it. It's like the roof top of a shopping mall on top of the mountain. I wonder if ur allowed to takeoff from there and then fly another 100m up from there. Can't remember if it's in the airport approach path.

Last edited:
ImageUploadedByPhantomPilots - DJI Phantom Forum1443467698.366725.jpg
ImageUploadedByPhantomPilots - DJI Phantom Forum1443467830.867969.jpg

A couple more photos for the record. The marina on the right hand side of the yellowish looking photo is the one I was talking about when I had my compass problems and saved it by a tread! Those photos are taken one in Malta and one in Gozo both flying over water.

Last edited:
Looks like toilet bowl due to compass error.

Dji will not help on any way since it was your error.

How bad is the damage. Can you repair it?

Glad no one was hurt by this falling projectile

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Classic case of why DJI warns "Dont fly by tall buildings".

What does this guy do? Fly by tall buildings then comes on here wanting answers... Im laughing. But, in all honesty I flew my Phantom all around Downtown Miami the other day. No problems.
Hey buddy.. Ur the first to tell me that!! Thanks ill keep that in mind.
Dji should put a no fly zone in whole of hk then right??? Stupid me

I was in Hk last December but did not own the phantom at the time. Was planning to come to Mongolia via HK instead of Beijing but then I thought the Great Wall might be a bit more interesting since I had already been in HK. I was wondering in HK are you allowed to take off the drone in that park on top of the mountain which over looks the city. I cannot remember the name of it. It's like the roof top of a shopping mall on top of the mountain. I wonder if ur allowed to takeoff from there and then fly another 100m up from there. Can't remember if it's in the airport approach path.
I think u r talking about the peak??
Yes ppl do fly there n then over taller buildings on the way down the peak.. U can search on utube how ppl fly over buildings here. Thats wt made me so confident..

Aside from the unnecessary personal insult content, Now YOU insult those who have a negative opinion of your action(s)?

Kettle... Pot here, you're Black.
Seriously enough with the bickering.
Also the guy is from HK and you're using a pot/kettle saying that most Americans don't even get.

Seriously enough with the bickering.
Also the guy is from HK and you're using a pot/kettle saying that most Americans don't even get.

Until now, I have not commented on this thread since ian and TJ spoke up.

If you want to play moderator, ask Jacob as I previously turned down an offer to be one. Otherwise go look for something else to do or put me on 'ignore'.

Until now, I have not commented on this thread since ian and TJ spoke up.

If you want to play moderator, ask Jacob as I previously turned down an offer to be one. Otherwise go look for something else to do or put me on 'ignore'.
I don't want to "ignore" anyone. It's just this thread is so pointless at this point. He got a lot of crap and frankly it's his prerogative to fly where he wants. All the shaming and bashing on here is really uncalled for IMO.

It's so pointless you just had to make another one and me your 'poster child' at the same time.

It's so pointless you just had to make another one and me your 'poster child' at the same time.
I'd rather us debating this thread to obscurity than reading more hate/bash posts. At least there's only love now :)

Peace!

Reactions: bobmyers
Hey buddy.. Ur the first to tell me that!! Thanks ill keep that in mind.
Dji should put a no fly zone in whole of hk then right??? Stupid me

Ok so when DJI clearly warns you about not flying around tall buildings. What were you thinking when you did it anyways? Im not trying to blame you. I fly around tall buildings too. Its just if my bird were to crash I wouldnt be on here asking why it crashed thats all.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jakob08z