Crashed and Damage GIMBALL phantom 2 vision plus +

heres the pictures

wqsm5l.jpg

28tb6sz.jpg

Yikes! I crashed and now my gimbal's top plate is bent (no problem) and the vertical arm is on a slight angle (big problem). My Vision would have laughed it off, but this one is a bit delicate. :(

From the photos it looks like you might be lucky that the only thing that looks like got damaged is the X axis motor shaft was broken.

I don't know if the shaft is replaceable like the prop motors are. but at most you will have to get the motor replaced,

I woud inspect the camera cable closely for any pinches or rips.
If there is any damage I would replace it.
As any abrasion that shows any conductors can cause a short.

At this point in time I don't think DJI is selling any parts if the gimbal. I don't even think they are selling the gimbal period.

and at this time your only choice for repair is sending it in to DJI.
And doing that will take a lot of time. (weeks) if not months. :cry:

akonisiya said:
heres the pictures

wqsm5l.jpg

28tb6sz.jpg

My motor shaft snapped exactly as yours has, and I have seen other posts with other snapped shafts (seems to be how the camera separates from the gimbal in a crash). You could try superglue if you take the motor out of the gimbal. I would have, but my ribbon cable also snapped.

These motor shafts and ribbon cables are quite weak.

i was tempted to fly it in very tight spaces :)
thats why it crashed

anyway hopefully my fix will work...
i disassembled the gimball and i use cyanoacrylite super adhesive

2m81ms4.jpg

HienoKaveri said:
what's up with all this crashing people? what do you do to crash the **** things? Fly to close to stuff?
I just got my + about 3 weeks ago installed prop guards with stock props. Also installed tall landing gear with acrylic extensions on bottom to prevent tip overs on landing. Have had about 20 successful flights at local country club and tested Rth several times from high altitudes. Last Sat. I launched from a farm to take some arial shots. Did a successful site calibration, took off 10' and verified new home. Went up 200' and took a bunch of stills. Weather was warm with 10-15 mph winds. Battery low alarm went off so I decided to do a Rth and things went bad. It started to descend normally but quickly went into uncontrollable wobble and came down too fast. All attempts to take over manually failed and it hit the ground hard!! Broke one skid on both legs and bent main gimbal support and destroyed two props. After repairs and staightening the gimbal support and upgrading to 3.04, was back in the air with everything working. I count myself very lucky!!! I think coming straight down in your own prop wash combined with the winds and prop guards had a lot to do with the crash. So I will be using Rth only when I have to. I bet DJI can program in a cone-shaped descent when doing an Rth. Think I will probably be taking off the prop guards unless I need to play it safe. Wonder if others have experienced this?

Hi Guys,

I crashed my drone yesterday from 10 meters height due to strong wind, it went into the branches, cut one of them and came down hard. Changed a set of propellers, clean it off and everything was fine with a few scratches here and there. Fly really smooth but the "gimbal motor error" is shown. Just wondering if the spare parts for the gimbal is available and wish to know the price.

syC said:
Hi Guys,

I crashed my drone yesterday from 10 meters height due to strong wind, it went into the branches, cut one of them and came down hard. Changed a set of propellers, clean it off and everything was fine with a few scratches here and there. Fly really smooth but the "gimbal motor error" is shown. Just wondering if the spare parts for the gimbal is available and wish to know the price.
They are almost impossible to locate since it's so new. One post mentioned DJI California was getting some. If you send it off, may be weeks for return. I'll bet your main gimbal support is bent against the top plate. I gently bent mine off the plate and gimbal error was gone. We just gotta remember to land easy as that gimbal is vulnerable.

Reactions: Serial Driller
Capt_quad said:
HienoKaveri said:
what's up with all this crashing people? what do you do to crash the **** things? Fly to close to stuff?
Broke one skid on both legs and bent main gimbal support and destroyed two props. After repairs and staightening the gimbal support and upgrading to 3.04, was back in the air with everything working.

How do you straighten the vertical gimbal arm? It looked solid aluminum.

yawnalot29 said:
Capt_quad said:
HienoKaveri said:
Broke one skid on both legs and bent main gimbal support and destroyed two props. After repairs and staightening the gimbal support and upgrading to 3.04, was back in the air with everything working.

How do you straighten the vertical gimbal arm? It looked solid aluminum.

I took mine apart and placed it in a vise. I was very careful to straighten it out. I did lose the screw that locked it on the shaft, so I will be making a trip to the hobby store to find a replacement.

Hi all,

I am new here. On my first flight, i crash it on some branches while concentrating too much on the phone screen. The cable connecting the gimbal to the camera snapped. How can this be repaired?

Capt_quad said:
I think coming straight down in your own prop wash combined with the winds and prop guards had a lot to do with the crash. So I will be using Rth only when I have to

Definately prop wash. When I first got the P2V+, I installed prop guards. I DO NOT recommned them. They completely changed the characteristics of the bird. On my second flight, I got a VRS (vortex ring state) or propwash problem and fluttered into the pavement. Broke 2 props, but no gimbal damage (thankfully). Took of the prop guards, and she's been flying like a dream ever since. Do yourself a favor... get them off.

You can purchase a replacement gimbal assembly now, but the price went up from $599 to $899. I suspect it will fall back again when supply catches up with demand. http://www.ebay.com/itm/DJI-Camera-Repl ... 3ce17550c5

Ezezeal said:
The cable connecting the gimbal to the camera snapped. How can this be repaired?
Short answer: It is not repairable. You require a replacement, but none are available. You may purchase a complete assembly (see above) or just search for broken gimbals with a good ribbon wire for sale on ebay, like this: http://www.ebay.com/itm/DJI-Camera-for- ... 2ed26bd4ff

Knocked the camera off of mine today and tore the ribbon cable. Pretty confident I can repair it if I can find the cable. Let me know if anyone has any luck finding the cable.

Capt_quad said:
I just got my + about 3 weeks ago installed prop guards with stock props. Also installed tall landing gear with acrylic extensions on bottom to prevent tip overs on landing. Have had about 20 successful flights at local country club and tested Rth several times from high altitudes. Last Sat. I launched from a farm to take some arial shots...

Had exactly the same accident today, but I think I should feel extremely lucky. All that happened during a crash - a battery fell off.
As it was my first such accident i searched internet and found out, that all users lost their cameras and gimbals. And also found out that every advice is to lose prop guards. Going to take them off immediately.

I'm in the club. Yippie!

Anyone happen to know how to repair a ribbon cable? NOT the film type cable that goes from the gimbal to the camera but the 4 wire cable that goes from the gimbal to the naza. I need to attached a the cable to a new connector that fits the connection on the left - see pics. I wonder if that is a DJI specific part?

Attachments

• FlashAnnotate.jpg
    FlashAnnotate.jpg
    179.7 KB · Views: 1,637
  • gimbal connections.jpg
    gimbal connections.jpg
    466 KB · Views: 1,626

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads