CRASH with Happy Ending and a couple of questions

Reaction score
Welp, five years and literally thousands of flights and finally got the thrill of getting stuck in a tree for the first time.

Flying P4P V2 in a Pix4D mission.
Was flying at 100' and usually extremely careful and keep everything LOS.

Somehow, I managed to fly into a tree while flying sideways.

This happened on Monday.

I figured out pretty closely from flight path, last photo taken GPS to know which tree it was in.
But the canopy was so thick and was impossible to actually see it.

I flew my Mavic in a grid just several feet above the tree line and still no sign of it.

Nevertheless, after MANY calls and internet searches, finally found a tree climber to attempt a rescue.
He called me back on Thursday and it had rained a bit one night.
I wasn't worried about the rain as I figured it was already damaged and just needed it for replacement with DJI Care.
(6th drone, first time I bought the insurance!)

James, my tree climber arrives.

I walk through the trees and point to the one that I think holds my drone.

James puts his gear on, sizes up the tree, takes a deep breath and before I know it has disappeared into the canopy.
The drone was flying at 100' but the trees were on a slope and maybe 10' - 15' above where I took off so maybe 85'.

I don't hear anything for 15 minutes or so. FAINTLY (because he is so far up) he's asking me again the size of the drone.
I had shown him a photo and reiterated the size. He says he sees something much smaller, but white, and it isn't this tree... it is the tree next to the one I thought.

James drops a rope down and asks me to go to his truck and grab a pole saw and tie it on.
Up goes the pole and saw.

Five minutes later, he screams, "STAND CLEAR!".....and the battery drops to the ground.

So I figure the drone can't be TOO far.

Five minutes later.....he says, "I SEE IT".

About ten minutes later, he slowly emerges from the canopy and comes down the tree with the Phantom 4 attached to one of his carabiners.

We had agreed to: $200 to go up the tree. $300 to get the drone down in any condition so I didn't expect much in terms of care with handling.

BUT HERE'S THE THING: Despite the impact causing the battery to EJECT to a different tree. Despite the battery dropping nearly 100'. Despite the drone being in the tree for 4 days with some rain. Everything is working perfectly!!!

Flew 20 minutes. GPS. Sport Mode. Took photos. Took video. Tested all sensors. Everything is miraculously fine!
I did decide to ditch the battery even though I flew ten minutes with it. Better safe than sorry. And it was one of my oldest batteries and near end of life anyway.

So, couple of questions:

1) Battery is not an issue since I am discarding it but is there anything else that may not be obvious with long term issues? Anything to be worried about after this? Should I just crush it and get a replacement with DJI Care anyway? My term ends in November and doubt I will have to use it again....I can live without it for several weeks as I have another drone to use for work.

2) Do the side sensors really not work with Pix4D? I thought they were always active but some people suggest only in beginner or tripod mode?

Pics attached of the rescue!

BTW, it was TOUGH to find a tree climber near me (in MA). If anyone in New England needs contact info for James, I would be happy to pass it along. He was great in a pretty challenging situation.

Attachments

• J2.jpg
    J2.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 324
  • J1.jpg
    J1.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 315
Should I just crush it and get a replacement with DJI Care anyway? My term ends in November and doubt I will have to use it again....I can live without it for several weeks as I have another drone to use for work.
You have a perfectly good P4 pro.
A drone that's been out of production for nearly a year and is in much demand because of it's superior performance.
DJI might have trouble finding a replacement.
If you don't want it, pass it on to someone that will appreciate it.
2) Do the side sensors really not work with Pix4D? I thought they were always active but some people suggest only in beginner or tripod mode?
Some people?
maybe they are the folks that actually read the manual.
p29 from the manual seems pretty clear:
The 3D Infrared Sensing System is only active in Beginner mode and Tripod Mode. Fly with caution.

You have a perfectly good P4 pro.

Well, I guess that was the question....do I?
I probably got a little wet, though tough to know really.
It took a big impact and something might have gotten damaged that isn't apparent now?
I guess I'll keep a close eye on it.
Pass it on to someone? Jesus Christ, that was hardly that intent or spirit of the question.
I paid for 2 replacements, have never used it and seemed like a logical question given the circumstances of the crash. Not sure how in the remotest stretch of your imagination you came up with the notion that I don't appreciate this drone.

Some people.

Yes and thanks for another snarky reply.
I know what the manual says but the confusion lies in with apps other than DJI Go.
Not sure if Pix4D uses the sensors differently than DJI Go.
That was the question.

As long as the battery ejected prior to the rain and the drone was dry when you inserted the battery to test fly, you should be somewhat ok. Water by itself is not detrimental to electronics. It's when you mix water, electricity, and contaminants together that can destroy electronics. I suggest that you get someone that has experience with cleaning dirty electronics (ex. dust removal, water spots, and such) off of the motherboard.

Seems to me, based on your tests the drone is fine. I have all my equipment insured so, in the event of a crash, my insurance co will pay for the repair or replacement. The only question I have, is you mention the mission was set at 100' and the tree was 85' how did it manage to hit the tree if it was flying 15' higher? Maybe I missed something.

Pass it on to someone? Jesus Christ, that was hardly that intent or spirit of the question.
I paid for 2 replacements, have never used it and seemed like a logical question given the circumstances of the crash.
Not sure how in the remotest stretch of your imagination you came up with the notion that I don't appreciate this drone.
Says the guy who asked if he should just crush the drone.
I took that to indicate a certain lack of appreciation.
These things are hard to come by and in demand.
Intentionally damaging it takes another out of circulation for no good reason.
Passing it on to someone does not exclude the possibility of selling it.
It took a big impact and something might have gotten damaged that isn't apparent now?
Not necessarily. Hitting a tree trunk at full speed would be a big impact.
Being caught on smaller branches and leaves can be a much softer impact.
If it's working properly, that suggests the impact was not too bad.

Yes and thanks for another snarky reply.
I know what the manual says but the confusion lies in with apps other than DJI Go.
Not sure if Pix4D uses the sensors differently than DJI Go.
The only snarkiness was in the way you read my answers and the way you have replied.
I simply quoted the manual as it's the definitive answer to your question.
The behaviour you asked about is baked into the drone's firmware just like RTH is.
Your drone will act that way regardless of what app you are using.
Excuse me for assuming a pilot of your great experience would have understood that.

Thanks for the appreciation you showed (not) for the effort I went to to answer your questions.

Great tale of rescue of a P4P v2. But I submit the survival of the fully functional gimbal assembly is what’s MIRACULOUS!

Cool!

Reactions: dronesky
Great tale of rescue of a P4P v2. But I submit the survival of the fully functional gimbal assembly is what’s MIRACULOUS!

Cool!
you put no effort or understanding into the questions.
obviously there was a big impact if the battery was ejected.

"a pilot of your great experience"

your snark knows no bounds, just amazing the way you go out of your way to treat people like ****

• Wow
Reactions: dronesky
It would appear that you are replying to me rather than SthTexasFlyer.
you put no effort or understanding into the questions.
I understand your questions fully and gave you thoughtful and accurate answers.
obviously there was a big impact if the battery was ejected.
Not necessarily .. a mild impact in the right place is enough to deform the case just enough to release the battery.
Inertia explains the distance thrown much more than the impact strength.
You said yourself that the drone flies perfectly so it can't have been a big crash.
"a pilot of your great experience"
You introduced yourself as having five years and literally thousands of flights.
I was just paraphrasing.
your snark knows no bounds, just amazing the way you go out of your way to treat people like ****
I went out of my way to answer your questions, only to be accused of being snarky twice.
The only snarkiness I see in this thread is coming from you, and without any justification.
I hope you treat people better face-to-face than you do online.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20