Couple from this morning

Very irresponsible The Statue of Liberty is a National Park. You can't fly there no exceptions the NPS does not allow flying in the National Parks unless you take off and land outside the park. Then we wonder why the FAA and others are putting more and more restrictions on drones. Nice pics though.

Many on here are so quick to judge not knowing the circumstances of the flight nor which bird was used with the shot. It could be that he had a zoom or fixed 2000mm lens, how do you know? Maybe he launched from the barge or a home made raft, how do you know? Maybe he did everything legally and maybe he didn't, how do you know?
Nice photos!

Very irresponsible The Statue of Liberty is a National Park. You can't fly there no exceptions the NPS does not allow flying in the National Parks unless you take off and land outside the park. Then we wonder why the FAA and others are putting more and more restrictions on drones. Nice pics though.
I launched from outside the park , thank you for looking...

Reactions: grego122 and Gervin
Many on here are so quick to judge not knowing the circumstances of the flight nor which bird was used with the shot. It could be that he had a zoom or fixed 2000mm lens, how do you know? Maybe he launched from the barge or a home made raft, how do you know? Maybe he did everything legally and maybe he didn't, how do you know?
Nice photos!
When I commented I knew he used a P4P. As a fellow P4P owner, I know the limitations of it's camera. You can see that information in the EXIF data from the cruise ship photograph. The Statue of Liberty is a NFZ. It doesn't matter if you took off from it or not. You simply aren't allowed to fly within 400' that island. It is also not the only regulation he violated, but is the one he might get in trouble for. In all honestly I don't care of he flew legally or not. I just would hate to see a fellow drone pilot get stuck in the legal system and make precedence for the rest of us.

All that being said, I see your point in the matter. Next time I will keep my opinions to myself.

Reactions: JSKCKNIT
When I commented I knew he used a P4P. As a fellow P4P owner, I know the limitations of it's camera. You can see that information in the EXIF data from the cruise ship photograph. The Statue of Liberty is a NFZ. It doesn't matter if you took off from it or not. You simply aren't allowed to fly within 400' that island. It is also not the only regulation he violated, but is the one he might get in trouble for. In all honestly I don't care of he flew legally or not. I just would hate to see a fellow drone pilot get stuck in the legal system and make precedence for the rest of us.

All that being said, I see your point in the matter. Next time I will keep my opinions to myself.

I am not saying that Fat Albert flew legally or not. As you rightly mention @Ansia there's no way a Phantom 4 Pro can take that shot legally UNLESS the image was digitally zoomed in post. We just don't have enough information since he only says he was 100% legal and does not provide any details.

Reactions: Ansia
I am not saying that Fat Albert flew legally or not. As you rightly mention @Ansia there's no way a Phantom 4 Pro can take that shot legally UNLESS the image was digitally zoomed in post. We just don't have enough information since he only says he was 100% legal and does not provide any details.

By “ digitally zoomed” do you mean cropped ?

I’ve had the privilege to sail those waters. It’s the best way to view NYC. Even civilian boats traffic is restricted around Liberty Island.

In addition to the FAA monument restriction noted above, the statue of liberty also sits squarely in a horendously busy VFR corridor and is also in the busiest Class Bravo airspace(s) east of the Mississippi. It's hard to tell exactly the surface of the Bravo shelf surface designation on the section cause it's so heavily marked ...

Most likely some 107ers will report, as they should when (and if) encountering rule breakers.

Well I think the pictures are great! And I've learned one thing from this forum!
I'll keep it to myself but onions are like you know best kept out of sight!
That is as politely as I can say it!

In addition to the FAA monument restriction noted above, the statue of liberty also sits squarely in a horendously busy VFR corridor and is also in the busiest Class Bravo airspace(s) east of the Mississippi. It's hard to tell exactly the surface of the Bravo shelf surface designation on the section cause it's so heavily marked ...

Most likely some 107ers will report, as they should when (and if) encountering rule breakers.

Incorrect. In fact, flown correctly, he would only need to notify a heliport operator (NY Skyports) as long as he didn’t get within 400 feet of the Statue of Liberty. A Mavic 2 Zoom could do some great shots there. And even then, it’s possible to stay on the south side and not even notify the heliport.

Entirely possible to run that mission legally. 100%.

Reactions: Maddy and grego122
Nice. I have P3 standard but looking at the Mavic Air. No decision made yet
IMO you should spend a few more dollars and go for a bird with better signal transmission. You will be open to a whole new world compared what you are used to with the P3S.
And to Fat Albert, you images are beautiful. I wish I could thumbs down all of the "ruining it for the rest of us" spirited comments. You stayed low, were not over anything but water, and in good weather apparently aanyway). If all we do is fly over corn fields then what's the point?

holy$hit, do you call the cops when you see someone going 56 in a 55? If someone is racing in a neighborhood, swerving, and blowing stop signs then yes, call him in because it is UNSAFE. Otherwise Fat Albert, drive 56 all you want, IDGAF. Nice Pics.

Who you kidding your a natural born snitch, be my guest

Reactions: Dallas Drone Guy
IMO you should spend a few more dollars and go for a bird with better signal transmission. You will be open to a whole new world compared what you are used to with the P3S.
And to Fat Albert, you images are beautiful. I wish I could thumbs down all of the "ruining it for the rest of us" spirited comments. You stayed low, were not over anything but water, and in good weather apparently aanyway). If all we do is fly over corn fields then what's the point?
Decision is made. Thanks for the input. Have heard similar comments from others.

Reactions: Dallas Drone Guy

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic