Couple from this morning

Reaction score
IMG_0186.jpg
DJI_0023.jpg
IMG_0188.jpg
View attachment 110330View attachment 110331

Last edited:
What was the process for get authorization to fly in that airspace?

Like first pic having not seen in real live,that's one big statue of liberty
What's the barge,,is that for refueling or similar,

What was the process for get authorization to fly in that airspace?

Is there a legal process for being able to fly in such a way as to get these shots?

Reactions: JSKCKNIT
Yes, that one. Go ahead Fat Albert, show Ansia that you were more than 400’ in your flight record.

Yes, that one. Go ahead Fat Albert, show Ansia that you were more than 400’ in your flight record.

That was one of the things that I thought would be difficult to get a waiver for, to fly that close to the Statue of Liberty. Then again I thought it might be a telephoto lens. Anyway, I'd would never risk doing it without authorization. They are nice shots but nothing worth losing my license over.

Your the one that made the assumption that he broke the law and the FAA would come knocking. Why would you say that? Is it clear to you with out a doubt he was closer than 400 Ft?
Great pics FA.
From the look from the photo taken from the Statue of Liberty, he doesn't look to be more than 200' away from it. I could be wrong, but it's what it appears to be so. If he can prove that he wasn't and his flight was legal, then great and he should continue providing us with such great footage. I tried to verify the distance the drone had from the photo's EXIF data, but it appears he post-processed the photo, before posting.

Edit: Only the photo with the cruise ship is the only one that was left untouched and has it's EXIF data intact.

Last edited:
From the look from the photo taken from the Statue of Liberty, he doesn't look to be more than 200' away from it. I could be wrong, but it's what it appears to be so. If he can prove that he wasn't and his flight was legal, then great and he should continue providing us with such great footage. I tried to verify the distance the drone had from the photo's EXIF data, but it appears he post-processed the photo, before posting.
Yes. I often zoom in to make my photos look better and show detail.

Reactions: grego122
Yes. I often zoom in to make my photos look better and show detail.
Well that is a valid argument I never considered. Upon checking all the photos, it appears that he did zoomed in.

Edit: Would love to see the original photo to determine how far was he from the statue.

Last edited:
Those are great pictures and are perfectly legal as long as the statue of liberty shot was farther than 400 feet from the island.

Also important is that he should have taken off from the NJ side of the river. NYC prohibits (illegally most would say) drone flights within city limits.

Reactions: Fat Albert
Hopefully done legally otherwise just one more that will screw it up for the rest of us.

That being said the shots are great. Which drone you using ?

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jrl