Could I fly my P3p in Niagara Falls (Canada)

Reaction score
Hey there!

I plan on going to Niagara tomorrow with my camera gear and drone, I was wondering if I could fly my drone above the falls or maybe near a park there. If not, could I possibly someone at Niagara and ask them for permission? Really want to take some nice aerial shots of Niagara at night. I've tried looking online but I want to see what you guys have to say.

Much appreciated!

Thanks

I'd be VERY surprised if you could fly in that area. Keep in mind that manned helicopters will be in close proximity wherever you go. Also the Flying Over People issue may come into play.

Here's a post I found from last year:
Niagara Falls Canada Drone Regulations
Aerial traffic is generally regulated in Niagara Falls. On the Canadian side, the rule of thumb is that the airspace up to 3500 feet above sea level and 3000 feet above ground level is restricted space. This restriction extends from Welland River, south of the falls, to the Niagara Whirlpool.

The reason for this is twofold. First, Canada has general restrictions in place for unregistered flying craft, either piloted or unmanned, within any township – the above limitations basically covers the Canadian side of the town of Niagara Falls. Second, helicopter traffic for tours and private flights makes any unanticipated aircraft a major hazard.

Under Transport Canada Federal Regulations, the airspace above Niagara Falls on the Canadian side of the Niagara River is designated a restricted area.
There are a lot of helicopter tours of the falls. You can read more on the Niagara Parks Site

Reactions: BigAl07
I'd be VERY surprised if you could fly in that area. Keep in mind that manned helicopters will be in close proximity wherever you go. Also the Flying Over People issue may come into play.

Here's a post I found from last year:
Niagara Falls Canada Drone Regulations
Aerial traffic is generally regulated in Niagara Falls. On the Canadian side, the rule of thumb is that the airspace up to 3500 feet above sea level and 3000 feet above ground level is restricted space. This restriction extends from Welland River, south of the falls, to the Niagara Whirlpool.

The reason for this is twofold. First, Canada has general restrictions in place for unregistered flying craft, either piloted or unmanned, within any township – the above limitations basically covers the Canadian side of the town of Niagara Falls. Second, helicopter traffic for tours and private flights makes any unanticipated aircraft a major hazard.

Hmm I see. Do you both think I could try and contact someone to try and see if I could fly in the area? If not, do you know of any areas around Niagara where I could fly my drone in that is allowed as I need to take some pics for my class.

Thanks!

Hmm I see. Do you both think I could try and contact someone to try and see if I could fly in the area?

Restricted areas pretty much means just that and not open to interpretation. Honestly I'd leave my sUAS and home and enjoy the trip without worrying about violating laws, endangering manned aircraft, and even possibly getting my AC confiscated for flying in a restricted area. It's just not worth the hassle IMHO.

If not, do you know of any areas around Niagara where I could fly my drone in that is allowed as I need to take some pics for my class.

I'm just a Keyboard Warrior able to Google pretty good. I am clueless about locations to safely and legally fly except here local to me in Western North Carolina USA.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20