Copter encounter

Reaction score
Tonight I was flying at about some 30 feet high when a copter flying at some 300 m from me appear to had detected me and change direction toward my bird. I don't want that class of encounters and decided to land inmediately. The copter came very close and change direction again and continue its flight. For what I have read it is very improbable they can detect a phantom but may be in the night we are more visibles. Here is the vid for your opinion.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pvaEcdz ... e=youtu.be

That looks higher than 30 feet

Same happened to me a while back. I wouldn't sweat it. You were higher than 30 feet but nothing unsafe. I think often times it's just curiosity.

I live about 50 minutes from the closest airport besides the air life. Planes in my area are often at 5,000 to 15,000 feet and higher, yet it never fails every time I am up flying in front of my house some freaking low flying plane comes out of nowhere and flies overhead. Usually around 500" but enough for me to have to descend. I often cruise around 250 to 300 feet.

PhantomFanatic said:
It wasn't related. Chill. :)

I also think it wasn't. Maybe, if such a thing happens again, I will hold my position and see what happens.

Simple to figure out. The copter pilot thought he saw a UFO and wanted to see for sure so he could get on the news. ;)

Didnt get that close, but still close enough for you to land. I would of done the same.

He probably saw the flashing lights and went to have a look.. must be pretty nerve racking for pilots... seeing lights on a drone and worrying what its upto.. i.e operator crash it into them... would need to constantly watch it then get worried when it disapears.

Its funny when people say quad would do no damage to small aircraft or heli... if it crashed into anything on wing or tail it could easily damage ailerons or elevator... I suspect most people who think no damage are armchair pilots with 10,000 hours behind them :/

I'm sure if they went towards it means they did not see it there or notice it even being there. Being that to go towards some thing even if its only a limited risk that it could cause damage and cause the hello to crash would be pretty reckless and pretty of the pilot to do willingly. esp when they are supposed to be extra careful and afraid of things that could cause them to crash rather then to be under cautious..

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl