Copter dumps over on motor shutdown?

Reaction score
Well I flew my P3A with no problems 3 nights ago. Have not done the most recent upgrades in firmware or RC. I had not flown for a couple of months until 3 nights ago. Things were fine. Now tonight I flew and upon landing and giving the motor shutoff command my copters motors sped up and dumped the copter over on its side. It has never acted that way before. I am wondering if DJI upgraded firmware on the RC or copter without my permission. Something is now messed up with my copter software. I retested it and the motors speed way up before shutting down now... about half the time the copter dumps over onto the props giving me a motor obstruction and screwing up my props. Anyone else had a similar experience when refusing an upgrade? Last time I flew (3 nights ago) the red upgrade firmware banner never came up but tonight it did... so I know they did something to my equipment. I am going to call them in the morning I expect them to send me a new set of props.

Reactions: rockstardvnt
We have been telling people since the P3 was introduced to not use the CSC to shut down the motors because it often causes flip overs. We recommend using only the left stick down method to stop the motors.

My point being that if you are saying you did a CSC to shut down the motors after landing, a flip over is common and has been for years.

How, exactly, are you trying to shut off the motors?
down + forward + heavy punch.

On the flip side, DJI should have corrected it in manual. In the manual, the first option to shut off motors is CSC. DJI should have published down stick for 3 seconds as the only method for landing. They then should have added CSC as an emergency shut off mode on another page to clear up confusion.

down + forward + heavy punch.

On the flip side, DJI should have corrected it in manual. In the manual, the first option to shut off motors is CSC. DJI should have published down stick for 3 seconds as the only method for landing. They then should have added CSC as an emergency shut off mode on another page to clear up confusion.

Method 1 in the manual is not the same as the emergency CSC though. From page 46:

Method 1: When Phantom 3 Advanced has landed, push the throttle down, then conduct the same CSC that was used to start the motors, as described above . Motors will stop immediately. Release both sticks once motors stop.​

Done properly, that should not flip the aircraft, whereas the regular CSC (no throttle down first) will.

Reactions: BillyN
Method 1 in the manual is not the same as the emergency CSC though. From page 46:

Method 1: When Phantom 3 Advanced has landed, push the throttle down, then conduct the same CSC that was used to start the motors, as described above . Motors will stop immediately. Release both sticks once motors stop.​

Done properly, that should not flip the aircraft, whereas the regular CSC (no throttle down first) will.

This is what i mean by confusion.
They should have said: hold down (descend) for 3 seconds when craft has landed. FULL STOP. Clearly this would have prevented so many flippies.

Reactions: Neon Euc
They should have said: hold down (descend) for 3 seconds when craft has landed. FULL STOP. Clearly this would have prevented so many flippies.

Maybe so, but I don't see anything confusing about the instructions. There's not much to be done if people don't bother to read them.

When hand catching the AC (which is now my favoured "landing" method) unless you're a contortionist, the only option is to use "left stick down" to kill the motors. Mind you, even prior to getting the balls to hand catch, I'd never CSC'd.

Reactions: hutch
We have been telling people since the P3 was introduced to not use the CSC to shut down the motors because it often causes flip overs. We recommend using only the left stick down method to stop the motors.

My point being that if you are saying you did a CSC to shut down the motors after landing, a flip over is common and has been for years.
Thank you.... I finally figured out my mistake. Guess I should fly more so I don't forget how to operate it. lol. You are correct.

Reactions: Numone and Neon Euc
Yes I held down the stick landed the craft then did a CSC... about half the time it flips over. I kept holding down the throttle and that killed the engines properly. I nicked a prop but no big deal.

Reactions: pomonabill220
Yes I held down the stick landed the craft then did a CSC... about half the time it flips over. I kept holding down the throttle and that killed the engines properly. I nicked a prop but no big deal.

Replace the damaged prop even if only a small/minute nick.

The CSC on the ground is a recipe for disaster because if you don't have perfect timing you will initiate a ground loop (aka flipping over). Thank goodness they updated the manual to include "Throttle Down" prior to CSC.

We hand catch and just use full down throttle. I would like the more advanced Tx to have the "Throttle Hold" detent like the P3S Tx does.

Replace the damaged prop even if only a small/minute nick.

The CSC on the ground is a recipe for disaster because if you don't have perfect timing you will initiate a ground loop (aka flipping over). Thank goodness they updated the manual to include "Throttle Down" prior to CSC.

We hand catch and just use full down throttle. I would like the more advanced Tx to have the "Throttle Hold" detent like the P3S Tx does.
What will a small nick do? Can I fly with it for a week or so till I get a new set? I already flew with it once and didn't notice any heating of the motor or anything.

What will a small nick do? Can I fly with it for a week or so till I get a new set? I already flew with it once and didn't notice any heating of the motor or anything.

Your props are balanced to allow for smooth safe flights. Even the smallest of nicks "can" cause an imbalance in the prop. Imbalance can go from minor vibrations leading up to potential system failure as something could be "vibrated loose" in the aircraft.

We carefully balance brand new UN-nicked props for this reason. While many will say "Yes you CAN fly with a nicked prop" it's not a good idea and not something I would personally do or allow someone who flies for me to do. It's pretty much a failure looking for a place to happen.

Now realize I'm the type of person who errors WAY on the side of caution.Also realize that with our QUADs (four rotors) there is zero redundancy so if you lose a single prop/motor/ESC that aircraft is going to reconnect with TerraFirma in a very dramatic fashion.

As I understand, CSC during flight is the ONLY way to shut the motors down if you needed to do so in an emergency. In my opinion , CSC was really never intended for shutdown during landing since left-stick down is provided. Remember who probably wrote the manual.

Has anyone ever used CSC during a flight in order to avoid a tragedy like hitting a person or aircraft or whatever?

Reactions: Mako79
@Brian: when your A/C flipped how did you get the A/C motors to turn off? That happened to me and holding the left stick down did nothing. The A/C had motors at top speed. I had to take the battery out.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wkflysaphan4