Controller Tablet Cord

Reaction score
So, I'm new to Phantoms, having spent the majority of my time with the Parrot Bebop 2 before this. That said, I've always had to run a USB to MicroUSB cable from the Skycontroller 2 to my tablet in order to configure it correctly.

When I started using the Phantom 3 Standard, I wasn't required so have a physical connection like this for it to work. But I keep seeing people flying Phantom 3 Standard aircraft with what looks like a USB cord to their display device.

What's the deal, does this offer more functionality?

You just use wifi to connect to the standard. no cord to my knowledge I have the standard my dad has the P3P and he has to use a cord. Honestly I like the wifi better.

Yup p3s uses wifi only,not the wifi like in your house,it has it's own wifi module on board,,your device wifi just pics up its signal...cant agree on wifi being better because the p3p uses lightbridge technology, it puts wifi to shame that's why it runs a USB cable,,,you can not run USB cable with p3s..its like a night and day comparison

You would be surprised how well my Wifi in my phantom 3 standard does in town compared to light bridge. From actual experience lightbridge has more interference in the town I live in than my Wifi module P3S. Also I fly my dads light bridge phantom 3 pro and it has alot more trouble with image transmission in town. But it varys I also have the biggest garbage corporation sitting above my town (Facebook) god I wish they would shut down.

I'm suprised by your reply,,lightbridge is 10 times better than wifi

It is but it seems to be weird in town or city idk maybe it's just the time of day and its getting more interference... but i also did magic powers mod in my P3S so the video transmission is better.

You would be surprised how well my Wifi in my phantom 3 standard does in town compared to light bridge. From actual experience lightbridge has more interference in the town I live in than my Wifi module P3S. Also I fly my dads light bridge phantom 3 pro and it has alot more trouble with image transmission in town. But it varys I also have the biggest garbage corporation sitting above my town (Facebook) god I wish they would shut down.
Shhhhh[emoji2958] Especially being that close, the Zuckerdick can hear you through the InterWebs. He has been known to don his skinny jeans/black t-shirt/Converse Lowtop uniform and steal more of the identities of those who don't praise him and pray 5 times daily to him whilst facing in the direction of Mountain View, CA. They say even those who use LinkedIn and MySpace are required to do so or be doomed to a life of irrelevant online ad campaigns. You'll know it's too late if you start seeing tampon and AARP ads displayed in your browser whilst you surf the information superhighway known as the World Wide Webs.

Lmao ur too funny no but hes on his 8th building here. The buildings are brighter than my entire town it's quite depressing

And to the discussion at hand, the range and performance of the old school, single antenna, poor people version, DJI Phantom 3 Standard WiFi connection uplift and downlink streaming performance. My only basis for comparison is my trusted Parrot Bebop 2 linked through the Skytroller 2 automated Wifi channel (2.4 Ghz up and 5.0 down link.).

So, I'm not in a city, pee se (technically a Census Defined Area, or CDA), but there are plenty of residential dwellings offering their own distinct WiFi signal interference bubble to get in my way. However, by biggest obstacle(s) is/are these dang wooden poles sticking out of the ground, like, everywhere, which the locals have designated 'trees'. Far too many to remove myself, so they are here to stay.

With my Parrot, at max FAA height, of 400' (±100 feet... Well +100 feet in reality), I can get just about ½ mile away before lost-link d RTH is initiated. That's in the direction of least trees.

Today, I tried a max range (within visual sight ± seeing it and not seeing it.... In reality not seeing it, but very safely) with the Phantom 3 Standard. It surprised me, because the down-link stream was far less tolerant of distance, even when maintaining a true, no tree blocking, line of sight. It seems that my P3S has a far more ridged slant range limitation, irrespective of other factors. This was because I ascended to the FAA max height of 400' (± 1,200'.... Actually + 1,200 feet, but very safely) and even inside a ½ mile X-axis distance, the down-link was very sketchy anywhere above 400' (± 200'... So 600', but done so very safely).

I'd even be so bold as to make the bat-poop crazy claim that my constantly under-rated Parrot Bebop 2 (despite having a stupid 4 year old given name) Skycontroller 2 data linkage performed better than the Phantom 3 Standard data linkage in all categories, but especially when the aircraft was located directly above the controller, at any height, FAA compliant, safely executed, or otherwise.

Which was the actual driver behind the USB Cable question. There must be something I'm missing or doing wrong which is inhibiting my Phantom from performing as next-level as I expected. At a minimum, it shouldn't be outperformed on any metric by the likes of a Parrot Bebop 2, or even Anafi (a better name, but at still some nonsense made up by one of the designer's 4 year old kids). Is my Bebop 2 actually better in these categories than the Phantom 3 Standard, which would be both a surprise and disappointment? Would the SkyLightning Bridge version (or whatever it's called) be the system I was expecting the Standard to be?

Discuss amongst yourselves....

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31