Controlled versus Legitimate Fail safe actions

Reaction score
I run my Phantom with my DX6i and a Nazza Wookong Machine with my T8 Futaba. Everything runs great, very happy, but somebody mentioned something to me the other day which actually got me thinking and now I'm very worried about it.

I set my machines up with the fail-safe switch position, and they both respond to that great. BUT, this other person related a story to me about his friend who had a genuine radio failure and the Phantom basically freaked out and came down hard. He said that despite this guy having set up the "controlled" failsafe option on a switch, he had failed to check the auto failsafe in the case of a legitimate transmitter failure.

Now, I honestly never thought about that, I assumed that setting up the actions of failsafe in the Nazza assistant was all I needed to do but now it seems that isn't the case... ?

When we employ a different radio system Does the Nazza take full control in the case of L.O.S regardless of any other settings, or do we have to specifically program the Nazza to listen to a channel and if it goes into a failsafe state, respond to that instead?

You must set the Fail Safe on your receiver. That way if/when your receiver loses radio communication with your transmitter it will drive all channels to the values you assign. Generally receivers default to hold last command which would make the aircraft "freak out." You must explicitly set up your fail safe according to your receivers instructions. Generally it involves a modified binding procedure where you set the transmitter sticks and switches to the positions you want them to go to in the event of a signal loss. After you do this you will want to verify your settings using the Naza Assistant by turning off your transmitter and making sure the Naza gets the proper signals in order to kick it into failsafe mode.

I connected to both my quads and I saw that the flight mode switched to fail safe when I killed my transmitter in both cases. I hadn't explicitly set anything on the transmitter or run through the fail-safe-position-bind so I guess the Nazza does it all when it sees a bad receive signal...

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wkflysaphan4