Considering the Crystal Sky Ultra, but how does it stack up?

Lastly, the iPad Mini 4 has been the biggest disappointment, because although it's the perfect size, and plenty bright with a minimal sun shade, it has in my experience been an absolutely unreliable video feed, with constant green screens, and total blackouts constantly in every situation I've flown in.
Try turning off the Wifi on the iPad. When Wifi is left on and not connected to an access point, it will ping every Wifi frequency, hunting for an access point connection. This will disrupt the video feed from the drone to the RC, even at close range. Optionally, try flying on 5.8Ghz. For some reason the Wifi doesn't affect the video feed when flying on 5.8Ghz. You'll get the best range with P4P using 5.8ghz too, 4+miles, assuming a clear LOS connection.

Reactions: Ripper7620
Try turning off the Wifi on the iPad. When Wifi is left on and not connected to an access point, it will ping every Wifi frequency, hunting for an access point connection. This will disrupt the video feed from the drone to the RC, even at close range. Optionally, try flying on 5.8Ghz. For some reason the Wifi doesn't affect the video feed when flying on 5.8Ghz. You'll get the best range with P4P using 5.8ghz too, 4+miles, assuming a clear LOS connection.
I found that using a Custom channel and lowering the code rate to 4mbps helped alot also

Wow the specs say it’s 3000 nits , it sounds like it’s just a monitor though can the App be loaded to it?
No. It's just a monitor. That's the strength and weakness. No dodgy software. No apps.

The idea is that you use a relatively small tablet / phone (I use an old mini) and attach the monitor above it. I have taped an Arca-Swiss clamp (the dominant way photographers clamp bits together on tripods, etc) to the top of the tablet holder with Scotch VHB (Very High Bonding tape - my new best friend - better than duct tape). The SmallHD monitor, like most photo gear, has a 1/4 threaded mount to which an Arca-Swiss plate is attached. Pops on and off quickly.

It is definitely not as cool and sleek as the Crystal Sky. However, it doesn't have the DJI-can't-do-software-to-save-their-lives issue (along with the bad screens and digitizers).

My take with the Crystal Sky series is that DJI has tried to cheap out on components and development. Close, but no cigar. I've returned two of the larger monitors, still have my 5.85 incher attached to the Mavic. That one is working spectacularly.

Thank you very much for the recommendations, I appreciate it.

No. It's just a monitor. That's the strength and weakness. No dodgy software. No apps.

The idea is that you use a relatively small tablet / phone (I use an old mini) and attach the monitor above it. I have taped an Arca-Swiss clamp (the dominant way photographers clamp bits together on tripods, etc) to the top of the tablet holder with Scotch VHB (Very High Bonding tape - my new best friend - better than duct tape). The SmallHD monitor, like most photo gear, has a 1/4 threaded mount to which an Arca-Swiss plate is attached. Pops on and off quickly.

It is definitely not as cool and sleek as the Crystal Sky. However, it doesn't have the DJI-can't-do-software-to-save-their-lives issue (along with the bad screens and digitizers).

My take with the Crystal Sky series is that DJI has tried to cheap out on components and development. Close, but no cigar. I've returned two of the larger monitors, still have my 5.85 incher attached to the Mavic. That one is working spectacularly.
If it cant run the Go app its useless what good is it ?

I found that using a Custom channel and lowering the code rate to 4mbps helped alot also
Yes, on P3P and P4 that helped a lot, especially using the 32ch hack and flying on ch30 or 31. The low bit rate transmission extends range on P3P and P4 quite nicely. However when I starting flying P4P on 5.8 AUTO, the connection seemed to work no worse than using 4mbps bit rate and a custom channel (using least busy ch). It's almost like DJI optimized the "AUTO" functionality of the P4P so it actually works better now. With my 4+ mile range using 5.8Ghz AUTO and windsurfer, I've never needed to use the custom channel anymore. Please compare and let me know your findings.

I'm curious how P4P V2 Ocu-Sync compares to P4P Lightbridge. I'd like to hear detailed comparison from someone that has a year experience with P4P, flying both in the same area, same range, etc. I've noticed my Mavic Pro Ocu-Sync to be consistently more stable with video connections than my P4P. I'll see my P4P signal strength bars go from 5 to 2 and back up to 5 with a simple pan around, 360 yaw. At similar range the Mavic doesn't do that, it remain consistent with the same signal strength during a yaw. I see the same behavior when at long distances past 2mi, without yawing the signal bars go up and down in the P4P, but the Mavic is way more steady, gradually weakening as you fly farther away, with a consistent signal strength bar decline. I've always assumed that was the key advantage of Ocu-Sync, other than multiple video connections to the ground.

Yes, on P3P and P4 that helped a lot, especially using the 32ch hack and flying on ch30 or 31. The low bit rate transmission extends range on P3P and P4 quite nicely. However when I starting flying P4P on 5.8 AUTO, the connection seemed to work no worse than using 4mbps bit rate and a custom channel (using least busy ch). It's almost like DJI optimized the "AUTO" functionality of the P4P so it actually works better now. With my 4+ mile range using 5.8Ghz AUTO and windsurfer, I've never needed to use the custom channel anymore. Please compare and let me know your findings.

I'm curious how P4P V2 Ocu-Sync compares to P4P Lightbridge. I'd like to hear detailed comparison from someone that has a year experience with P4P, flying both in the same area, same range, etc. I've noticed my Mavic Pro Ocu-Sync to be consistently more stable with video connections than my P4P. I'll see my P4P signal strength bars go from 5 to 2 and back up to 5 with a simple pan around, 360 yaw. At similar range the Mavic doesn't do that, it remain consistent with the same signal strength during a yaw. I see the same behavior when at long distances past 2mi, without yawing the signal bars go up and down in the P4P, but the Mavic is way more steady, gradually weakening as you fly farther away, with a consistent signal strength bar decline. I've always assumed that was the key advantage of Ocu-Sync, other than multiple video connections to the ground.
Agreed, I get better performance out of my Mavic PP flying the same routes in 2.4GHz with the Titan Drones Atlas antenna system.

Well when I had video transmission issues when I first started flying the P4P which was my first drone it was suggested to me here on this forum and it solved my green screens and static images on my ipad mini 2 I never looked back at 5.8 Auto, Custom channels just work better for me it may have to do with the area I'm flying in which is in the city, I dunno.

I should be receiving my Crystal Sky 7" high brightness monitor tomorrow. I shied away from the ultra bright model due to reading reports of the screen over heating and burning out. This one should meet my needs as far as brightness goes. The plus side for me is being able to transfer video files and reviewing footage from the sd card while in the field. No more laptop to bring along.

The screen could be as bright as the sun and it wouldn't matter to me. Dji does not do well with an android app. I thought it would be different with their own device but no, they will never get a grip on Android. I'm getting along with the osmo mobile 2 with Android but it's not easy at times. With dji, best to stick with ios. Ripper, your issues with your ipads may not be the app or the ipads themselves. If a couple of different ipads don't work reliably it could point to a different issue, such as the USB port on the remote or any number of other things.. I know with my p4p, something about 5.8 isn't good. All can be going ok and then I have signal issues with 5.8. Entirely unreliable for me. In 2.4, it's all good. Anyway, no way I'd drop a G on an android device with dji. Bright screen be damned.

If it cant run the Go app its useless what good is it ?

You have your tablet / phone for control and the monitor as, well, a monitor. IMG_9410.JPG

Not perfect - more weight and complexity and you need HDMI out. But - no having to deal with DJI's inability to push out decent software to the Crystal Sky monitor series.

I had high hopes for CS to replace this set up, but alas, at least for the moment, I'm back to this method. The newer SmallHD monitors are up to 3000 nit which ought to be bright enough for anybody....

Attachments

• image.png
    image.png
    12.9 KB · Views: 334
You have your tablet / phone for control and the monitor as, well, a monitor.View attachment 99820

Not perfect - more weight and complexity and you need HDMI out. But - no having to deal with DJI's inability to push out decent software to the Crystal Sky monitor series.

I had high hopes for CS to replace this set up, but alas, at least for the moment, I'm back to this method. The newer SmallHD monitors are up to 3000 nit which ought to be bright enough for anybody....

Hmm looks a little bit much I’m looking as well as others are interested in a simple yet reliable solution instead of trying to hack things together but whatever works for you , as of recent things have been working great ,I’m a city dweller and I enjoy flying distances without any worries , here’s one from this morning
IMG_0818.jpg

Hmm looks a little bit much I’m looking as well as others are interested in a simple yet reliable solution instead of trying to hack things together but whatever works for you , as of recent things have been working great ,I’m a city dweller and I enjoy flying distances without any worries , here’s one from this morning View attachment 99823

Indeed. That is what I think most of us were hoping for with Crystal Sky. Hasn't happened yet.

Since DJI tries to emulate Apple it is not hard to believe that a few more point upgrades will fix most of the problems and yield a reasonable product.

And then DJI will drop that version and start all over again.....

EDIT: I would be remiss in not pointing out that the 5.85 inch version appears to be nearly flawless - at least with a Mavic Pro. That might be an option.

Indeed. That is what I think most of us were hoping for with Crystal Sky. Hasn't happened yet.

Since DJI tries to emulate Apple it is not hard to believe that a few more point upgrades will fix most of the problems and yield a reasonable product.

And then DJI will drop that version and start all over again.....

EDIT: I would be remiss in not pointing out that the 5.85 inch version appears to be nearly flawless - at least with a Mavic Pro. That might be an option.
So your thinking they're only capable of making the small screen work properly,:confused: to me it seems your already invested in your double screen thingy and have no use for it and I totally understand hopefully they'll correct any issues your having or issues your reading about on the web.. Good luck with your quest...

Well when I had video transmission issues when I first started flying the P4P which was my first drone it was suggested to me here on this forum and it solved my green screens and static images on my ipad mini 2 I never looked back at 5.8 Auto, Custom channels just work better for me it may have to do with the area I'm flying in which is in the city, I dunno.
Try 5.8 AUTO again.

Over suburban areas, two of us here in So. Calif have over a 4mi range when flying with a clear LOS connection, 200ft above homes galore, using a windsurfer. Here are the reasons I think 5.8 AUTO seems to work better:
1. 5.8ghz frequency is twice the frequency of 2.4, able to carry the high video data bandwidth easier, which may be why AUTO works on 5.8Ghz
2. Less penetration from home WiFi sources, inside homes and buildings. Since 5.8 doesn't penetrate walls as good, the outdoors is better shielded from rogue signals from homes, making the air cleaner in that band where we fly.
3. Less people use 5.8Ghz for WiFi than 2.4, less interference sources means less to conflict.
4. P4P puts out slightly more RF power on 5.8 than 2.4Ghz.

Reactions: Basspig
Try 5.8 AUTO again.

Over suburban areas, two of us here in So. Calif have over a 4mi range when flying with a clear LOS connection, 200ft above homes galore, using a windsurfer. Here are the reasons I think 5.8 AUTO seems to work better:
1. 5.8ghz frequency is twice the frequency of 2.4, able to carry the high video data bandwidth easier, which may be why AUTO works on 5.8Ghz
2. Less penetration from home WiFi sources, inside homes and buildings. Since 5.8 doesn't penetrate walls as good, the outdoors is better shielded from rogue signals from homes, making the air cleaner in that band where we fly.
3. Less people use 5.8Ghz for WiFi than 2.4, less interference sources means less to conflict.

I’ll give it another try in the morning and see what I get , I agree on 5.8 working better then 2.4 it’s just that the Custom channel allows you to lower the code rate while Auto does not

Try 5.8 AUTO again.

OK I went for two flights using the same flight path and altitude and 5.8 Auto started giving me the "Weak transmission warning" and choppy video at 6-7k ft I get flying till 10k ft when it just became terrible and unsafe so I turned around but when using the Custom channel I passed that distance by 5k ft before I received my first warning...
Today it was a little hazy compared too the last two days which to me also slightly decreases the distances I'm able to fly.. Have you noticed this too

Last edited:
Can someone clarify whether changing the channel settings affects only the video feed, or whether it also affects the remote control of the aircraft?

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Johnboy94