Congressional Hearing on Drones

Reaction score
Many of you may have already seen this, but for those that have not, this is a link to a site that has a report on the House subcommittee on drones. I found this on the AOPA (Aircraft Owners & Pilots Organization) website. Its a chance to hear what Congress is saying about the "near misses". The link is: http://www.aopa.org/AOPA-Live?cmp=ALTW:L2

It's well worth the time watching. Some interesting points of view presented by the various groups with both vested interests and regulatory interests.

Making an aerial video and posting it on YouTube your act of flying becomes a commercial enterprise when YouTube places an ad on top of your video and generates ad revenue. That to me seems so far afield from the real issues as to be laughable.

I have had ongoing conversations with my local Senator's (Tim Scott) staff about Congress or the FAA imposing regulations based solely upon the arbitrary 55 pound limit they have been discussing. As technology advances lightweight aircraft will be able to handle some of the same tasks as today's much larger UAS can handle. For example, look how camera and video technology has advanced in the last 20 years. Remember the bulky camcorders we used to carry around for video?

I have asked that commercial UAS regulations also take into account the task of the aircraft and not just the size of the aircraft. If I want to sell photos and videos taken from my Phantom I should not have to face the same licensing and restrictions as Amazon does flying heavier payloads. Even if I fly a larger UAS I should not have to adhere to the same regulations as someone flying cargo if I am only taking photos and video. I compare this situation to VFR and IFR pilot licenses for small aircraft, then additional licensing and testing required to fly larger aircraft.

I have also discussed with Senator Scott the need for an additional classification and regulation of UAS under 10 pounds (with payload). Unfortunately I think that Congress will ultimately impose blank regulations for commercial UAS over 55 pounds and under 55 pounds regardless of the task they serve.

Lastly, I have discussed the fact that despite our laws regarding licenses to operate cars and trucks there are still plenty of people that drive without a license and plenty of people that have a license but still drive in an unsafe manner every day. Enacting strict regulations on UAS will not deter idiots from flying like idiots. What we need are common sense laws for a wide range of classifications and stiff fines and penalties for those that ignore the laws. Don't kill the hobby, the industry, or the commercial possibilities.

Koz said:
Unfortunately I think that Congress will ultimately impose blank regulations for commercial UAS over 55 pounds and under 55 pounds regardless of the task they serve.

Congress will not very likely do this. Under P.L 112-95 they specifically authorized and instructed the FAA to implement rules for the safe integration of UAS into the NAS. It is unlikely, especially in the short term, that Congress is going to do anything to mess with that. And if they do, it will cause the FAA to reset their clock in order to go back and integrate any changes into the sUAS Rule that is on the verge of being published (NPRM due end of year.)

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj