Confusing dji article

Yes, the main problem here is (as always seems to be the case with DJI) poor communication, and as a result this is already perhaps being blown out of proportion. I don't think DJI will ever learn, not sure they are even capable of it.
I believe there is a higher authority behind these changes that are forcing DJI to make changes.
It seems certain authorities have stuff to hide and the fact we've taken back a fraction of our power in the name of fun and freedom we've rumbled some cages somewhere.
I've one comment for them [emoji111]

IIt seems certain authorities have stuff to hide and the fact we've taken back a fraction of our power in the name of fun and freedom we've rumbled some cages somewhere.
I've one comment for them [emoji111]

I also have a "comment" for these shadow authorities who are spying on our flight logs and restricting our heights & distances --- but it involves an emoji like yours with only one finger in salute ;)

You guys sure are good at winding each other up to ever higher levels of paranoia.
HI yes interesting subject ,,,,was very concerned at first ,,,,reason being here p4 cost $2000,,,,don't want no restrictions on my drones,,,,using litchi app but watching like a hawk,,,still hooked on phantoms and hope all be good:)

HI yes interesting subject ,,,,was very concerned at first ,,,,reason being here p4 cost $2000,,,,don't want no restrictions on my drones,,,,using litchi app but watching like a hawk,,,still hooked on phantoms and hope all be good:)

I understand the concern, but it may be unrealistic to expect that there will be no further restrictions. As these become more popular they will probably need to be more regulated for all kinds of reasons - safety, privacy, noise, nuisance etc.. The new UAVs really are a paradigm shift in terms of airspace use.

If I had to guess, at this point, I think that all except the real toy aircraft will end up with transponders along the lines of ADS-B, not in order to spy on or track the users but to avoid conflicts with other traffic and to keep them out of TFRs and other restricted airspace. Maybe there will also be some kind of flexibility introduced for very low-altitude flights of limited range.

Smells like....Apple. You buy their hardware but they dont give you a choice on what operating system to run, iOS only. Then they offer security updates as an entire version update,Along with god knows what other unwanted "features". Im still running iOS 9.3.3 Jailbroken,DJI go 3.0.1 According to their flight records the last flight I took was last year. It was a beautiful day flying yesterday

You guys sure are good at winding each other up to ever higher levels of paranoia.
Very true, but it's also true that a lot of the paranoia is due to DJI's own action of putting 'something' potentially significant (onerous or harmless, we just don't know) out there with virtually zero information on which to judge. In Chinese culture this may be normal behavior but in most western cultures 'refuse to say' is usually interpreted as 'something to hide.' Time and time again it seems that DJI just does not understand this (or simply doesn't care.)

I believe when I first got my Phantom 4 six months ago I had to do some kind of activation process by creating an account with DJI and signing into it before I could even use my P4. I believe this is the same thing.
Here is what I believe they are trying to say in MY OWN WORDS. When I update to the newer versions of the apps (DJI Go 4 for my quads & DJI Go for my OSMO mobile) I will be in a logged out/new user type status when I open them for the first time. The apps will require me to complete the application activation process by me logging in with my existing account or new users will need to setup an account and log in. If I do not re-log my existing account the apps will treat me IN MY OWN WORDS AGAIN as an "unknown type user (UTU)" because the app activation is not complete just yet. If you do not complete the activation, the devices that use the 2 apps will be most-likely in what I call the UTU status and the device's functions will be limited because the person connected to the device before the entire process (application activation) has been completed.
I believe if I just log in with my existing credentials everything will be fine. I don't read any sneakiness here, not yet. I believe that if you are skeptical you should be one who waits until others complete the process and posts their experiences. I have had numerous apps do this, not just DJI. How many people have downloaded a trial version of an app, opened it and found many of the features are limited or disabled? Those features are completely usable once you create an account or buy the full version depending on the app. How many apps have done a complete overhaul, crippled the functions of the old app and then charge you a discounted rate to get the "new and improved" app where those functions work? How many times has an operating system (OS) been upgraded leaving apps from an older OS to be crippled? Now the browser has limited capabilities because security updates are not up to date? How many times has a gaming console company come out with the "newer generation" model and people continue on with older game systems only to have issues with games not connecting to servers? This could be the same thing but DJI just didn't communicate it properly. Just my $0.02.

Last edited:
I believe when I first got my Phantom 4 six months ago I had to do some kind of activation process by creating an account with DJI and signing into it before I could even use my P4. I believe this is the same thing.
Here is what I believe they are trying to say in MY OWN WORDS. When I update to the newer versions of the apps (DJI Go 4 for my quads & DJI for my OSMO mobile) I will be in a logged out/new user type status when I open them for the first time. The apps will require me to complete the application activation process by me logging in with my existing account or new users will need to setup an account and log in. If I do not re-log existing my account the apps will treat me IN MY OWN WORDS AGAIN as an "unknown type user (UTU)" because the app activation is not complete just yet. If you do not complete the activation, the devices that use the 2 apps will be most-likely in what I call the UTU status and the device's functions will be limited because the person connected to the device before the entire process (application activation) has been completed.
I believe if I just log in with my existing credentials everything will be fine. I don't read any sneakiness here, not yet. I believe that if you are skeptical you should be one who waits until others complete the process and posts their experiences. I have had numerous apps do this, not just DJI. How many people have downloaded a trial version of an app, opened it and found many of the features are limited or disabled? Those features are completely usable once you create an account or buy the full version depending on the app. How many apps have done a complete overhaul, crippled the functions of the old app and then charge you a discounted rate to get the "new and improved" app where those functions work? How many times has an operating system (OS) been upgraded leaving apps from an older OS to be crippled? Now the browser has limited capabilities because security updates are not up to date? How many times has a gaming console company come out with the "newer generation" model and people continue on with older game systems only to have issues with games not connecting to servers? This could be the same thing but DJI just didn't communicate it properly. Just my $0.02.

I don't think anyone is questioning the semantics of the login procedure or ramifications of not completing the procedure. The big question is - what is DJI's ultimate reason for insisting on the procedure in the first place? Because according to their own press release, it's to ensure you will use the correct flight functions as determined by your geographical location and user profile.

They're not going to spend time and money on taking the equivalent of a global class attendance just for the fun of it. There is a reason, and everyone wants to know what it is before they put their hand up and say 'here sir'.

This might well be a storm in a tea cup; but based on their choice of words, I think pilots have the right to be concerned until it all becomes clear.

Even if everything carries on as normal, I'm now wary about their end game. Release a couple more firmwares here and there and then one day... bam... you could be stuck following all the rules, with no ability to roll back.

bueller...bueller...bueller?

I agree with TekSone. I always delete my old Go App before I install the new one. I get less problems with a fresh install on my Go App with my android device. And then I always sign back into my Dji account before I use it. I think this is all that this is. I have never flown my phantom on the Go App without being logged in before I leave the ground. I dont really think this is a big deal.

Omg... please stop crying! Update the app AND re-register and you will be fine. IF you are in the US AND you are used to flying over 400 ft high and/or near airports without notification, and/or without line of sight... then you *might* see some restrictions... but IF you already fly responsibly, then it is doubtful you will notice a difference...

I don't think anyone is questioning the semantics of the login procedure or ramifications of not completing the procedure. The big question is - what is DJI's ultimate reason for insisting on the procedure in the first place? Because according to their own press release, it's to ensure you will use the correct flight functions as determined by your geographical location and user profile.

They're not going to spend time and money on taking the equivalent of a global class attendance just for the fun of it. There is a reason, and everyone wants to know what it is before they put their hand up and say 'here sir'.

This might well be a storm in a tea cup; but based on their choice of words, I think pilots have the right to be concerned until it all becomes clear.

Even if everything carries on as normal, I'm now wary about their end game. Release a couple more firmwares here and there and then one day... bam... you could be stuck following all the rules, with no ability to roll back.

bueller...bueller...bueller?

Thanks, The Flying Swan. You said, "pilots have the right to be concerned". If I came across as saying that they didn't have that right to be, I apologize as that was not meant at all. I am concerned as well, that was the reason for choosing to read this thread. Just like others I offered my two cents and said if others are skeptical that they should be one who waits until others complete the process and posts their experiences.

Flying Swan I have a question, I am still fairly new to this...With my P4 you can download the firmwares to an SD card still, right? If so, I think it would be a wise thing to start using an SD card to put all firmwares on now in case one wants to roll back. I think you can roll back via SD card through DJI Assistant. I thought I saw someone doing it on YouTube. Going to go look now.

Thanks, The Flying Swan. You said, "pilots have the right to be concerned". If I came across as saying that they didn't have that right to be, I apologize as that was not meant at all. I am concerned as well, that was the reason for choosing to read this thread. Just like others I offered my two cents and said if others are skeptical that they should be one who waits until others complete the process and posts their experiences.

Flying Swan I have a question, I am still fairly new to this...With my P4 you can download the firmwares to an SD card still, right? If so, I think it would be a wise thing to start using an SD card to put all firmwares on now in case one wants to roll back. I think you can roll back via SD card through DJI Assistant. I thought I saw someone doing it on YouTube. Going to go look now.

We're on the same page :)

As far as I know, you can only roll back one version. You don't need to use an SD card, it's built right into Assistant now. Whether there are unofficial ways to roll back further, I've never investigated - because I've had a largely pleasant experience with my P4 updates so far. I'd happily stay where I am.

Omg... please stop crying! Update the app AND re-register and you will be fine. IF you are in the US AND you are used to flying over 400 ft high and/or near airports without notification, and/or without line of sight... then you *might* see some restrictions... but IF you already fly responsibly, then it is doubtful you will notice a difference...

I hope you're right. You probably are. But I frequently fly past LOS when I'm out at sea. 6, 7, 8+ miles/ Sue me, but the ocean isn't going to get hurt so the only thing at risk is my bird and maybe some plankton.

I'd like to know if my P4 is going to perform as expected now, rather than when I'm in the field.

It's a second hand drone, so I'd like to know if I'm going to have issues registering it.

And I travel with it, so I'd like to know if its behaviour is going to change based on location.

Not crying. Just hoping some clear answers might present themselves before any changes; not after.

Reactions: 80Aerial and JWH
We're on the same page :)

As far as I know, you can only roll back one version. You don't need to use an SD card, it's built right into Assistant now. Whether there are unofficial ways to roll back further, I've never investigated - because I've had a largely pleasant experience with my P4 updates so far. I'd happily stay where I am.

ok

I'd like to know if my P4 is going to perform as expected now, rather than when I'm in the field..

I hear you... and it makes sense to put it through the paces after any update. Maybe in a safer environment than over the water (sounds like very cool flights though).

It's a second hand drone, so I'd like to know if I'm going to have issues registering it.

The way I read it, you aren't registering the drone, you are re-registering your account.

And I travel with it, so I'd like to know if its behaviour is going to change based on location.

If anything, you should be in better shape. The changes sound like updates to the geo location functionality. If it works as expected, it should help you not break rules you didn't know about. :)

Fantastic... I finally have plans for next weekend... update Go4 and Go on a couple of devices. Update the firmware on my P3S, P4, and MP... Then sit back. With a beer and munch some popcorn, while watching all the whiners continue to make mountains out of molehills...

The way it sounds to me is that they are planning to force geofencing on us as well as whatever arbitrary altitude or other restrictions the country has.

Here are the problems with that:
It sounds like they are removing the ability to override an NFZ so if you DO have authorization to fly there you are out of luck.

It may be that the drone, or DJI, are planning an automatic tattletale system.

DJI cannot possibly keep an up to date realtime database of all restricted areas, the current system is already screwed up, add in the possibility of no overrides and automatic tattletale and that is a real problem. Example, the local hospital has a helipad, the entire time I have lived here I have never seen it used, and there is no helicopter present that I have ever seen, would their new system interpret that as an airfield and set a 5 mile exclusion zone around that? I live right across the border from Canada, my drone (Phantom 4) would be illegal under Canadian law, I have no interest in flying over the border, but might their new system draw a 9km exclusion zone from the Canadian border because a sea plane could theoretically land in the river and the Canadian law would spread a restricted zone across the border? What about height? The FAA does not actually limit us to 400 feet, but they hate admitting that and they have people repeating as if it's law, could DJI arbitrarily limit us to 400 feet?

What if you don't have GPS lock, could you still fly?

What if you can and then the GPS locks in flight and thinks it's in a restricted area, would it force a landing and potentially destroy the drone or put it down where it can't be retrieved?

Fantastic... I finally have plans for next weekend... update Go4 and Go on a couple of devices. Update the firmware on my P3S, P4, and MP... Then sit back. With a beer and munch some popcorn, while watching all the whiners continue to make mountains out of molehills...
Thankyou for being our guinea pig, let us know if the update messes up your drone. The rest of us, myself included, will have updates turned off until then.

Someone has to be the first to step into the minefield, the rest of us will retrace your steps assuming you don't get blown up.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl