Confused with buying options

Reaction score
Hi,

I currently have an ar drone and I'm looking to increase the quality of my video footage and capabilities in flying.

I have a few questions as I'm a little confused with the options available, I already have a go pro 4 black and I'm wondering how to utilise this camera.

I can get the phantom 2 with gimbal mount 2d version. With this setup and a go pro 4 what can I expect? Would be able to use my iPad to view footage from the camera while flying or would I be flying line of sight only. Is there any conflicts between the wifi connection of the go pro and the drone? And also does this version of the ability to fly route plans and have the return home functions?

Also I am looking at the FC40 how does this perform compared to the phantom 2

The vision version is a little out of my price range and I already have a camera so it seems a little silly to spend the extra money

I just want to film realistically I'm not so much interested in a gimbal, I can turn camera on while on the ground and just edit the footage later I don't really need professional camera controls while flying.

Any advice would be appreciated

Kind regards

Richard

Scampaboy said:
Hi,

I currently have an ar drone and I'm looking to increase the quality of my video footage and capabilities in flying.

I have a few questions as I'm a little confused with the options available, I already have a go pro 4 black and I'm wondering how to utilise this camera.

I can get the phantom 2 with gimbal mount 2d version. With this setup and a go pro 4 what can I expect? Would be able to use my iPad to view footage from the camera while flying or would I be flying line of sight only. Is there any conflicts between the wifi connection of the go pro and the drone? And also does this version of the ability to fly route plans and have the return home functions?

Also I am looking at the FC40 how does this perform compared to the phantom 2

The vision version is a little out of my price range and I already have a camera so it seems a little silly to spend the extra money

I just want to film realistically I'm not so much interested in a gimbal, I can turn camera on while on the ground and just edit the footage later I don't really need professional camera controls while flying.

Any advice would be appreciated

Kind regards

Richard

If you want to use your gopro 4 you'll have to get the phantom 2 non vision with a gimbal.

That rig will require you to get a FPV system to see what you're camera is seeing while you fly... An additional cost 200 to 500 dollars more...unless you get a lightbridge which is even more expensive but might be overkill for you based on your commentary.

The vision models give you everything you need in a total package,..but,,, you're stuck with their camera (which isn't a bad camera...just not quite as good as a go-pro

You're not stuck with the DJI camera if you buy the Vision+. The QuickRelease allows you to attach a GoPro and still use the DJI Vision app.

Welcome to the forum!

Definately a Phantom 2, V 2.0, but don't buy a 2D gimbal, buy a 3D gimbal. :)

Edit: You don't have to buy First Person View (FPV) to begin with. You will probably be very excited by the video your GoPro takes and to begin with, you need to focus on flying. IF you want to add it down the road, you can.

I'm assuming you wish to take a GoPro up, since you have one. If you didn't have one or didn't want to use it, then the vision, V3 would be the way to go. If you go that route, don't spend too much time (to begin with) looking at the monitor and don't try to fly by FPV until you have experience with your Phantom.

Thanks for the replies I'll be wieghing up my options over the next few days.

As far as FPV I'm not too sure about it, I've been using my AR drone a lot and something that really distracts me is looking at the video on my iPad and not the drone itself I've actually been trying to break the habit. I don't plan on flying such an expensive drone out of my sight as such. Although setting a route would be really good if it an option without the FPV. My problem also is my supplier only supplies kits or packages and you can't really update later as they don't sell separate parts. And they are the only official supplier in the country

msinger said:
You're not stuck with the DJI camera if you buy the Vision+. The QuickRelease allows you to attach a GoPro and still use the DJI Vision app.

Oh that's good to know! Thanks

I read your post again and I wanted to add this: I highly suggest using a 3D gimbal, but you mentioned in one place that you didn't want to use one. If you are sure, at least add a vibration reducing mount. Your photos will be fine without it, but your video won't look good.

If you use a Phantom 2, non-vision, yes the WiFi output of the Hero Camera will interfere with the control signal as both operate on 2.4 GHZ. You will need a FPV set-up, which will take the camer's output and transmitt it on 5.8 Ghz with a monitor/receiver attached to the transmitter or on a tripod. Since you want realistic footage, you can see what is being filmed but you would have to move the bird to get your shot. Since you won't have a gimbal.

The FC40 is based on the original Phantom. It's motors, ESC's are not as powerful as the P2 and the flight time is less. Batteries are cheaper, but there are at least two aftermarket P2 batteries. The lowest price that I've seen is $60 on Amazon.

I'm a bit confused by a few things you said. You said you wanted to use your Hero 3 on a P2 with a 2D gimbal. But, later you talk about using a Hero 4. Then, you mention that you don't want to use a gimbal.

Finally, IF you want to use a Hero camera, I suggest the Phantom 2, non-vision. You CAN use a GoPro mount and just stick it one the bottom of the Phantom. But, it seems that you want to see what is being filmed though you don't want to control it with a gimbal.

IF it isn't a big deal,whether you use your Hero, then the FC 40 will be the cheapest route. Or, a P2 vision, but you said that was too expensive. And, it will be expensive to add FPV, to a P2 non-vision.depending on whether you want RF amps and better antennas.

If you are open to buying a used Phantom, you should look at the classifieds here. Used ones go for a lot less than new ones.

I know the amount of information we have all given is staggering. But, if you clarify your question, it would be simpler to answer. Start with gimbal, yes or no. Hero, yes or no, etc.

I hope we all have helped. :)

Edit: I just read about your supplier's limited options. Are you opposed to buying overseas? In the USA, you have Amazon, EBay, the Classifieds here, etc.

Btw he also mentioned way points and no one said anything. If u buy the phantom 2 non vision then u will need the dji ground station which will connect with ur ipad and u can set the way points there. I F u get any of the visions they are integrated within the app.

Hi sorry if I was being a little confusing.

I will clarify. I have a Go Pro 4 black version. I have read and seen a little about adding some tape and or coins to balance the gimbal.

I will be flying line of sight at first so the FPV version is not so important to me right now. I will add that at a later date, also the ground station I think.

As for ordering through eBay etc. I live in Russia and the customs are very strict regarding the import of certain electrical devices and I could run into trouble, its better to order from an official dealer here and avoid any questions or even lose the thing in transit.

I hope I have cleared up my questions, and thanks for the answers you have really helped me make my decision I will go and speak to the missus and show here its really important that i have one of these.

Eltrochaphantom said:
Btw he also mentioned way points and no one said anything. If u buy the phantom 2 non vision then u will need the dji ground station which will connect with ur ipad and u can set the way points there. I F u get any of the visions they are integrated within the app.

Okay, I missed one. Shoot me! :)

Scampaboy said:
Hi sorry if I was being a little confusing.

I will clarify. I have a Go Pro 4 black version. I have read and seen a little about adding some tape and or coins to balance the gimbal.

I will be flying line of sight at first so the FPV version is not so important to me right now. I will add that at a later date, also the ground station I think.

As for ordering through eBay etc. I live in Russia and the customs are very strict regarding the import of certain electrical devices and I could run into trouble, its better to order from an official dealer here and avoid any questions or even lose the thing in transit.

I hope I have cleared up my questions, and thanks for the answers you have really helped me make my decision I will go and speak to the missus and show here its really important that i have one of these.

I understand better now. Although there are 3D printed Hero 4 mounts, that won't help you there. I don't own a Hero 4, but yes, it is smaller so you will have to shim it, like you said.

Tell the missus that I agree that it is really important for you to have one! :)

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl