Confused about Failsafe "20 meter radius"

Reaction score
My P3 is being delivered on Wednesday but I'm taken advice I've seen on this forum and have read the manual a couple times already. However, there is one paragraph that I can't wrap my head around regarding the fail safe. The grammar ain't perfect... But I don't think that's the only thing that's unclear.

"Aircraft automatically descends and lands if RTF is triggered when the aircraft flies within a 20 meters (65 ft) radius of the Home Point. Aircraft will stop ascending and immediately return to the Home Point if you move the throttle stick if the aircraft reaches 20 meter (65 feet) altitudes or beyond during Failsafe". ????

"Automatically desends" does it go directly down if RTF is pushed within 20 meters?? So RTF only works outside of 20 meters? That seems like a long way away to just land... The second sentence is confusing as well. Can someone "dumb this down" for me!?!

Thanks!

My P3 is being delivered on Wednesday but I'm taken advice I've seen on this forum and have read the manual a couple times already. However, there is one paragraph that I can't wrap my head around regarding the fail safe. The grammar ain't perfect... But I don't think that's the only thing that's unclear.

"Aircraft automatically descends and lands if RTF is triggered when the aircraft flies within a 20 meters (65 ft) radius of the Home Point. Aircraft will stop ascending and immediately return to the Home Point if you move the throttle stick if the aircraft reaches 20 meter (65 feet) altitudes or beyond during Failsafe". ????

"Automatically desends" does it go directly down if RTF is pushed within 20 meters?? So RTF only works outside of 20 meters? That seems like a long way away to just land... The second sentence is confusing as well. Can someone "dumb this down" for me!?!

Thanks!
If RTH is initiated within 20m of your recorded home point it auto lands.

You can cancel it.

Seems to be a safety feature. Last thing you may want would be an auto ascent to set height if RTH triggered with the AC in close proximity to you.

Normal RTH process first ascends the AC to set height, gets it to home point and then auto lands. But in case the distance of aircraft is within 20 m of home point, aircraft will just auto land it.

DJI never explained why this is but the only people it ever affects are nervous new flyers experimenting with RTH right next to themselves.
Using RTH when the Phantom is within 20 metres isn't something that happens in normal flight.

nervous new flyers experimenting with RTH right next to themselves.

so... that would be me... I'm going to do the first couple of flights with PLENTY of room to test out all the features that I am unfamiliar with.

Thank you gentlemen, this was extremely helpful!!

Thanks!

To the second part of the paragraph, consider the following scenario. I have my RTH altitude set at 60m. I'm currently flying low at 10m approximately 500m away from the home point.

You hit RTH.

The drone will begin to ascend to your 60m preset altitude. There is a built-in 20m threshold that can't be changed. Once the aircraft is above that 20m threshold, any movement of the throttle stick will cancel the remaining ascent and begin to return home at the current altitude.

So - if the drone reached 40m on it's way to 60m and you KNEW that was high enough to clear any obstacles in its path - you could tap the throttle and have it come home when it hit 40m. This would save time and the battery required to unnecessarily climb to the full 60m.

got it! Just picked up my AC. Going out today to test it out. BIG field, FAR away from anything/one... can't wait!

Thanks All.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers