Configure Phantom 4 controller for receive-only ops?

Reaction score
Hello Phantom Pilots, I am new to the forum and request your help... I am using a Phantom 4 (Adv) for filmmaking, and also wish to use it for livestream broadcasts. Am going to purchase an HDMI output module for that purpose. However, I would rather not have the controller I am using to fly be teathered to my livestream setup by the HDMI cable. Was theorizing that if I had a second controller, and that controller could be put in a "receive-only" mode, I could perhaps put the HDMI output module on that second controller and place it right next to the livestream equipment. I would be able to move around a bit with the primary (fully two-way) controller, and the second controller would receive and forward the video stream but not be able to interfere with the flying control at all. I've read lots of posts and blogs on forums, etc. but have not seen anything like what I am proposing, or any way to disable the transmit function on a controller while leaving its receive capability intact. We did this with drone controllers in the military to allow multiple units to receive downlink video while only one had control of the drone. Any thoughts?

Welcome
Trouble with what you ask is phantom can only have one remote linked at any one time,,the Inspire drone can use 2 but not the phantom, you can get long hdmi cable nowadays,, I use a 3mtr from remote to TV in back of car while back which gave me bit of room to move around,,you can get longer ones,,these worked well,depends how far you want to walk
Screenshot_20210524-205320_Chrome.jpg
Screenshot_20210524-205209_Chrome.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Capt KO
Thanks ianzone. Yep, that's my plan at this point. I have a nice 10 meter HDMI cord (with fiber internally) that I will use in the way you've described. But boy would it be nice if DJI had incorporated an ability to configure the controller for "receive-only" mode. That way, an infinite number of controllers could receive the video downlink from the Phantom without having any effect on the flying control. Virtually all military radios and RF comms equipment have "receive-only" settings that allow this sort of thing. Doing so with the standard (Lightbridge 1) P4 controller would give us legacy users some of what Lightbridge 2 allows - without the whole daisy-chaining or "primary-secondary" scheme used by Lightbridge 2. Oh well, I suspect that DJI would not consider retrofitting such a capability via firmware update as it would reduce the incentive to upgrade to newer hardware. Would be nice if someone knew how to "hack" a receive-only capability into the legacy controller. Hope you have a great day.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers