Concerning FAA regulations and practically no one obeying them

Reaction score
On this thread and on YouTube, all the time I see people breaking the FAA regulations whether it be flying over 400', flying out of sight, or flying within 5 miles of an airport. Obviously I am in the same boat as everyone else and break a rule here or there (LoS) but what gives? Does everyone just not care because its nearly impossible to get caught unless someone looks at your flight log? I'd love to hear everyone's two cents.

Flying above 400' and out of line of sight is not a regulation, it's a recommendation. Out of the tens o thousands of videos online, how many have you seen where the person is flying within 5 miles of an airport? It's not illegal... as long as you have permission. I've done it (though you'd not know from the video). I called the tower and obtained permission.

never fly above 400 feet but always fly out of los just have to know your area that you are flying in and listen and pay close attention to the skys

Flying above 400' and out of line of sight is not a regulation, it's a recommendation. Out of the tens o thousands of videos online, how many have you seen where the person is flying within 5 miles of an airport? It's not illegal... as long as you have permission. I've done it (though you'd not know from the video). I called the tower and obtained permission.

Ahh, I see that now on the FAA site. " Individuals flying for hobby or recreation are strongly encouraged to follow safety guidelines"

I think the FAA has better things to worry about. They've set the "recommendation" and if an accident were to occur, at whatever level, the FAA and the authorities now have some things to check for that can land the pilot in trouble. If you're not registered, you will be in for some penalties and if you were flying within 5mi and unauthorized, or above 400ft then this will be on the pilot to prove himself innocent. But now the "recommendations" are set and it is up to the pilot to be responsible. If there was no effort to make rules then there would be no repercussions or legal authority for anyone to come at you if something were to happen. But I also feel that the LOS and 400ft altitude could be something disputed in court with an attorney. Because like it's been said, it's not a law.

I think the FAA has better things to worry about. They've set the "recommendation" and if an accident were to occur, at whatever level, the FAA and the authorities now have some things to check for that can land the pilot in trouble. If you're not registered, you will be in for some penalties and if you were flying within 5mi and unauthorized, or above 400ft then this will be on the pilot to prove himself innocent. But now the "recommendations" are set and it is up to the pilot to be responsible. If there was no effort to make rules then there would be no repercussions or legal authority for anyone to come at you if something were to happen. But I also feel that the LOS and 400ft altitude could be something disputed in court with an attorney. Because like it's been said, it's not a law.

Thanks for the great information. Just to be clear, if I were flying in within 5 miles of an airport that, lets say, doesn't have a tower, I wouldn't be in any kind of trouble if someone accused me of "breaking some rules" as long as I dont cause an accident? Like if I'm flying 2-4 miles away and under 400'. Just making sure in case someone approaches me out in public about me flying, I want to make sure I am giving correct information.

you should be good to go just watch skys for aircraft

Thanks for the great information. Just to be clear, if I were flying in within 5 miles of an airport that, lets say, doesn't have a tower, I wouldn't be in any kind of trouble if someone accused me of "breaking some rules" as long as I dont cause an accident? Like if I'm flying 2-4 miles away and under 400'. Just making sure in case someone approaches me out in public about me flying, I want to make sure I am giving correct information.
Personally, if someone approaches me who is not an authority then I feel I don't owe them any explanation.

you should be good to go just watch skys for aircraft

Alright thanks. And lastly, as far as flying over stadiums and over people are also only strongly suggested? I dont think I would ever fly over a filled stadium because I think that probably is illegal. But one or the other is ok if I am a responsible pilot?

that is the key word responsible pilot

There are also many local ordinances that may or may not override the FAA "recommendations". It's perfectly legal to use a skateboard, ride a bicycle, walk a dog, or play a radio in most places. But many urban parks have signs that say "No skateboards, bicycles, pets, or loud music", and people respect that. It's about common sense and safety.

Someone who isnt me says this "Why do I drive 75 when the speed limit is 55? Because I feel that is still well within my ability to safely operate the vehicle and not increase danger to yourself or someone else. No one consulted me when they made these rules. Stupid rules are meant to have pushback. Our country was founded by people who didn't like a governments stupid rules. If every time a new law was enacted every US citizen conformed to it and didn't push back we would be a pathetic robot society mainly used as a source of taxes. WAKE UP, GO TO WORK, GO HOME, PAY TAXES AND DON't QUESTION THE RULES. F That. If I have enough common sense to not fly my bird around airports and go slightly higher than 400 feet then I shouldn't have to suffer because of someone else's stupidity. There will always be stupid people whether or not there are laws about being stupid. I shouldnt have to suffer because of someone else"

My friends rant is over

... But I also feel that the LOS and 400ft altitude could be something disputed in court with an attorney. Because like it's been said, it's not a law.
Yeah but it gets complicated. For example, if you look at Public Law 112-95, Sec 336, it defines a model aircraft as one that is flown within LOS. So if you're out of LOS, you're apparently not flying a model aircraft, which opens up a huge can of worms.

https://www.faa.gov/uas/media/Sec_331_336_UAS.pdf

I think the bottom line is, if it can be determined you're endangering the safety of the National Airspace System, all bets are off.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic