Compass issue after firmware ugrade

Reaction score
Hoping someone can help - I upgraded to the latest version of the firmware today (3.16), and now the lights flash alternating red and yellow when the copter is powered on. I attempted to follow the instructions on the DJI website to recalibrate the compass (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vo7Kf3uo93I), but toggling the GPS switch 10 times doesn't put the copter into calibration mode - it just continues to flash red / yellow. I know the transmitter is working because when I fire up the NAZA software, I can see the numbers change when I move the stick. Any ideas? Thanks!

Try 6 times and land it on Atti.

See what happens.

E

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ipelly said:
Hoping someone can help - I upgraded to the latest version of the firmware today (3.16), and now the lights flash alternating red and yellow when the copter is powered on. I attempted to follow the instructions on the DJI website to recalibrate the compass (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vo7Kf3uo93I), but toggling the GPS switch 10 times doesn't put the copter into calibration mode - it just continues to flash red / yellow. I know the transmitter is working because when I fire up the NAZA software, I can see the numbers change when I move the stick. Any ideas? Thanks!

Regarding the persistent compass issue, see item 6, below.

Some might consider this overkill, and perhaps you've already done all these steps but I suggest doing the following along with any firmware upgrade:

1) Consider carefully whether you want to be a pioneer early installer vs. waiting to see what experiences others are having. Remember that the conclusions drawn by others, based on their personal experiences may or may not be representative or correct. Thoroughly review whatever new information DJI provides regarding the upgrade, including special steps, warnings, etc. Take a look at the new features to determine as this could affect your eagerness to upgrade ASAP.

2) Archive the 'old' version of the Assistant software (so you can downgrade to the prior firmware version should you need to do that. Then download and install the new Assistant version. This new version should automatically point to the new firmware as an available upgrade. If it does not, there may be a problem with DJI's firmware servers and/or with your connection to the internet. The software looks for DJI servers and may not behave as expected if they are not available.

3) Use the new Assistant software version to save a 'fresh' copy of your current Phantom parameters. Also review these settings so you know what things should look like in the end.

4) Take note of DJI special instructions while you complete the firmware upgrade itself. Restore parameters (using your saved file or DJI's default install, or methodically update all setting to match you're configuration and desired options. Double check these! Save a new copy of the parameters so you have a record. I suggest naming these config files in a manner that identifies firmware version, date, and a file version number. You may also want to specially identify saved config files that you have proven successful, in case you need to revert to them in the future.

5) Do a hardware recalibration of your transmitter (this may not be necessary but doesn't hurt either.

6) Do a GPS/compass recalibration. Note that persistent failures at this point may call for resetting the Phantom's compass using an external magnet (see this post for info http://www.phantompilots.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1890&p=13854#p13854.

7) Do basic and advanced IMU calibrations.

8) Review *all* Assistant SW configuration entries.

9) Proceed to reboot, followed by flight testing if no problems are evident. Make sure you understand and remember configuration changes that you make, and make sure you know the flight modes corresponding to the various switch positions. If you have enabled new flight modes (like IOC, for example) consider evaluating these under controlled conditions to avoid surprises later.

I'd appreciate any advice/corrections/clarifications on these steps as I want a solid set of steps to follow to reduce the chances that the FW upgrade result is suboptimal.

Steve

Thanks so much edunwody, that did the trick for me as well!

To clarify, after upgrading to firmware 3.16 on my older model (Naza v1) Phantom, I couldn't get it to enter calibration mode - just kept flashing yellow/red.

Seems that flipping it exactly 6 times between GPS/ATII and then stopping on ATTI is what does it - you can't just keep flipping the switch until it does, which is sorta what the instructions lead you to believe. I remember having this problem when I first calibrated it earlier this year (haven't had to do it again since) but couldn't remember how I had fixed it.

Jeff

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jody.paugh@fullerandsons.