Compass Error

Reaction score
Went to fly my phantom and keep getting a compass error and can’t fly. Tried the compass calibration at least 5 times. Turned off drone and tx many times. Still having compass issue. Maybe I messed something up.

Could it be magnetic interference causing it, in the location you are in with the drone? Search compass calibration issues in the search tool at the top of this page or on the Phantom pilots site. You should find lots of helpful information, also YouTube may be of help.
Good luck with getting it resolved.

Went to fly my phantom and keep getting a compass error and can’t fly. Tried the compass calibration at least 5 times. Turned off drone and tx many times. Still having compass issue. Maybe I messed something up.
A problem with a compass error that won't go away is often caused by a disconnected compass - usually a broken wire close to the compass sensor.
To confirm whether this is your issue, go the Sensors section of your app settings and see what it tells you about the compass.
If it shows numbers, the compass is connected, if it shows nothing, you need to install a new compass.
i-3L2jQdP-L.png

Thank you both. I have been flying from my driveway in a small residential area. I have not had any issues in previous flights but had a hard landing recently. I will check the compass status in the app. Didn't realize the app had this much info available.

Looks like I have a bad compass. Not sure how a crash could cause this since it’s covered.

Attachments

• 3620E419-0647-4B05-B22A-4A3CDFF47250.jpeg
    3620E419-0647-4B05-B22A-4A3CDFF47250.jpeg
    77.3 KB · Views: 303
Looks like I have a bad compass. Not sure how a crash could cause this since it’s covered.
The problem is probably a break in one of the very fine wires right at the sensor which is down in one leg.
Otherwise the connection to the mainboard is loose. (That's quick and simple to check on a P3).

If it's broken, replacing the landing gear - just the compass side, should fix it.

I've ordered a new landing gear set with compass. Hopefully this will fix the issue.
did u check if the connection to the main board was loose or discinnected?

Yes. I've checked the connection. Disconnected and reconnected a few times. Checked compass in the landing gear and I had 2 of the 3 wires come off the board. Didn't even look like they were soldered very well. New landing with compass came in today.

Last edited:
So I bought new landing gear that came with the compass. Installed the gear and compass.

Last edited:
I can't get the new compass to calibrate. I have to click on calibrate many times before I see the pic of the quad on the app. I turn the quad counter clockwise but it never tells me to turn the quad up. All connections on the board are good. Checked and rechecked. Not sure to try next.
The first time I replaced a compass, I broke a wire installing it.
Does the sensors section of the app, confirm that the compass is connected?

I finally got this resolved. Not really sure what it was. Just reconnected the new compass to the board a bunch of times. I think I also have a lot of interference in my area. Tried different locations away from metal and magnets.

Reactions: KachemakDiver

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31