Compass Calibration

Reaction score
I have started the practice of calibrating the compass on my P2V+ before every flight. Today was my 3rd flight doing it. I am using the S1 switch to start the calibration. All 3 times I do the first 360 with the drone and get a green light that it took it. After that, I do not get a 2nd yellow light to do the calibration with the drone on it's side.

Am I doing something wrong?

Today was the 1st flight that seemed off. My phantom was dropping GPS mode and going into Atti mode then back to GPS mode. Due to the wind being up, I went ahead and set her down and scraped my planned flights.

Thanks in advance

Ok, maybe not every flight. I meant at every new location before flying. Sorry, I didn't really explain that too well.

Please review the compass calibration procedure in the manual. After the vertical calibration, the light pattern should be normal. In Naza mode that would be flashing green with possible flashing red based on number of satellites found. If calibration failed, it would flash red and yellow.

Postby StangLuvr » Tue Jan 06, 2015 8:00 pm

I have started the practice of calibrating the compass on my P2V+ before every flight. Today was my 3rd flight doing it. I am using the S1 switch to start the calibration. All 3 times I do the first 360 with the drone and get a green light that it took it. After that, I do not get a 2nd yellow light to do the calibration with the drone on it's side.

I don't have that model but when I do the compass calibration...flip S1 5 times to get yellow light...hold quad level and do at least 360 until light goes green. Point quad nose down...not side
do another 360 until light goes to slow green flashing....done

It's an expensive machine, take the 9 seconds and calibrate every single time you fly

bywalker said:
Do this every single time you fly http://youtu.be/WkFo9OHOTk4

Not true and not necessary. There is a school of thought that unless you are flying in a SUBSTANTIALY different area, miles away from where you have successfully done the compass calibration that to re do it risks doing in correctly. Once the correct declination is set, why re do it?

StangLuvr said:
I am using the S1 switch to start the calibration. All 3 times I do the first 360 with the drone and get a green light that it took it. After that, I do not get a 2nd yellow light to do the calibration with the drone on it's side.

You don't get a second yellow light for the second bit of the calibration.

1. Flick switch 5 times etc - light changes to steady yellow.
2. Spin horizontally 360deg - light changes to green.
3. (light still green) point nose down, spin 360deg - goes back to slow flashing green when done.

bywalker said:
Do this every single time you fly http://youtu.be/WkFo9OHOTk4
That's three times you've advised calibrating every flight - perhaps you'd care to explain why?
I'm reluctant to take advice from people that don't explain their recommendations.

DJI, although they are very conservative in the manual, didn't advise calibration every time.
I think if it was important or if it made a difference DJI would have mentioned it.
I suspect the people that suggest calibration every time do so because they have no idea what compass calibration does and have a superstitious belief that it will protect them from evil and the more they perform the ritual, the better the protection.

Your right. The 2 reasons I say to calibrate is 1: because it's better to be safe than sorry. 2:. If and when you have a crash at last you you can rule out compass calibration.

And those are the only two reasons I can think of. I've had two crashes and both are NOT as result of not calibrating my compass. Mine were pilot error, and I've learned from both. Do a compass calibration every time, it takes only seconds.

And it can't undo a successful previous calibration. If anything you will be wasting time doing another one, but like I said... Better to be safe than sorry. In my opinion, a compass calibration each flight can't hurt.

I still don't see any explanation of why?
"Because it's better to be safe than sorry" is not an explanation.
Even better is to have an understanding of what you are doing.

If you understood what compass calibration did you'd understand the calibrate every time strategy is wasting time.
It will not do anything to improve flight safety. You're just doing it because you think calibration is a good thing and more of a good thing must be even better. It doesn't work that way. The gods of Phantom flight won't reward you for ritual over-calibration.
Do you make up any other procedures that aren't in the manual?

I calibrated when I bought the thing. Never since - don't see the need as the craft flies perfectly.

On the switch flipping, I'd be cautious. I've seen many posts on these forums about switches failing and not properly engaging - maybe as a result of over-enthusiastic switching? Maybe not, but they're certainly not bulletproof.

I would use the app to initiate the compass calibration if I felt the need to do it. Maybe I will next time, just for the hell of it!

bywalker said:
And it can't undo a successful previous calibration. If anything you will be wasting time doing another one, but like I said... Better to be safe than sorry. In my opinion, a compass calibration each flight can't hurt.
Unnecessary calibrations do wear your s1 swith out though!

Meta4 said:
I still don't see any explanation of why?
"Because it's better to be safe than sorry" is not an explanation.
Even better is to have an understanding of what you are doing.

If you understood what compass calibration did you'd understand the calibrate every time strategy is wasting time.
It will not do anything to improve flight safety. You're just doing it because you think calibration is a good thing and more of a good thing must be even better. It doesn't work that way. The gods of Phantom flight won't reward you for ritual over-calibration.
Do you make up any other procedures that aren't in the manual?

SPOT ON. You will never convince bywalker that what he is doing is silly. He doesn't understand what the CC does...move on

It's really not that serious, I was just trying to make a helpful suggestion and I said it was my opinion, not fact. Which everyone is entitled to. If you don't want to do one every time then don't, it's that simple. Next time I will refrain from making any suggestions at all. I never said I thought I would be rewarded, but my reward is the peace of mind that if I have a fly away of something that cost over $1,000, I won't wonder if a compass calibration had anything to do with it, because I do one every time. Step number 6 in the pre flight check within the DJI app is a compass calibration, just sayin.

bywalker said:
It's really not that serious, I was just trying to make a helpful suggestion and I said it was my opinion, not fact. Which everyone is entitled to. If you don't want to do one every time then don't, it's that simple. Next time I will refrain from making any suggestions at all. I never said I thought I would be rewarded, but my reward is the peace of mind that if I have a fly away of something that cost over $1,000, I won't wonder if a compass calibration had anything to do with it, because I do one every time. Step number 6 in the pre flight check within the DJI app is a compass calibration, just sayin.

Now, now don't get all in a tizzy. But it seems from your posts you may not that much flight experience. Besides, these sites are filled with onions, good and bad and information, good and bad. Mostly, as stated, over calibration is unnecessary and may in fact lead to other issues. Do what makes you comfortable. Once I have good cali lock and I haven't moved far away and there has been no metal or other interference, I don't re -calibrate. Fly on

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20