cleaning motors after a crash?

Reaction score
Hey Fellows. After 16 months operating my 4Pro I finally crashed.

I was on an island on Lake Huron's Georgian Bay, launching from a relatively flat lawn surrounded by forest. About 12 or more minutes into the flight the aircraft dropped into ATTI mode. I flew it home visually but had a heck of a time keeping it inside the tree bowl as I descended.

I've read here that any horizontal movement should only be wind drift but in my case the machine seemed determined to fly southwards at about 3 or 4 m/s, more than what the prevailing wind seemed to be.

Anyway- I brought it down hard. It skidded and flipped with the props still spinning in a dusty, sandy, grassy area (see photo). The props continued to spin for about 3 or 4 seconds, enough to coat the entire drone in a layer or dust, fine sand and dry, grassy material. The props, of course, are toast- having hit enough rock to be badly scarred, but that's the least of my concern.

So- I've cleaned the machine by hand and had a moderate amount of debris fall out of the motors. They turn okay by hand but I'm sure there's still gritty dust inside.

So- question- would blowing the motors out with a can of compressed air be sufficient or is there anything else I could consider before powering the drone back up?

Thanks!
DJI_0138.JPG

Hey Fellows. After 16 months operating my 4Pro I finally crashed.

I was on an island on Lake Huron's Georgian Bay, launching from a relatively flat lawn surrounded by forest. About 12 or more minutes into the flight the aircraft dropped into ATTI mode. I flew it home visually but had a heck of a time keeping it inside the tree bowl as I descended.

I've read here that any horizontal movement should only be wind drift but in my case the machine seemed determined to fly southwards at about 3 or 4 m/s, more than what the prevailing wind seemed to be.

Anyway- I brought it down hard. It skidded and flipped with the props still spinning in a dusty, sandy, grassy area (see photo). The props continued to spin for about 3 or 4 seconds, enough to coat the entire drone in a layer or dust, fine sand and dry, grassy material. The props, of course, are toast- having hit enough rock to be badly scarred, but that's the least of my concern.

So- I've cleaned the machine by hand and had a moderate amount of debris fall out of the motors. They turn okay by hand but I'm sure there's still gritty dust inside.

So- question- would blowing the motors out with a can of compressed air be sufficient or is there anything else I could consider before powering the drone back up?

Thanks!View attachment 101984

Yeah compressed air is the best thing, don’t use any type of liquid or oil etc

Reactions: Quadular
Skinny vacuum tube over and around the motor and suck it out

I Think that might PULL the lube out of the sealed bearings And NOT a Good Idea !.You would be In worse shape then you were !

Does your vacuum have the suction to do that? I have a Dyson and its not gonna do that...ever. Unless our beloved Phantoms have awful motors, i cant see moving air affecting them.

Well Thats a mighty small ball bearing and some ittby bitty seals...Im sure any old vacuum could Do a great big bunch of destruction to them...Ok Gee go on and try it and hope mid air on a nice flight......all your rapidly spinning don't props stop..because all the lube out of them is in your vacuum cleaner....I would never ever try that. moving air is what they work in Not suction !

Hey guys- all opinions are appreciated, no need to get cranky with one-another. I've been out of the country for 3 days but later today I'll get a can of compressed air and household vacuum to see what I can clean out before testing the machine.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl