Class D airspace

Reaction score
Hi All,

Happy new year to all the drone pilots around the world.

I’ve had a phantom first a p3 and now a p4 for the last two years. I’m a very conservative pilot, always fly in line of sight etc (the thought of my p4 being out on it’s own, scares the pants of me). Always fly in deserted areas around local fields and rivers etc.

On the on occasion I have taken my drone to the coast, if the go app has thrown up any warning about airspace whatsoever, I’ve not flown it.

I was down at hengisbury head last week and although there was no warnings in any of the apps I run, dji app said class d airspace fly with caution.

I always fly with caution, but should I have not flown at all?

I always fly within the drone code, so am I ok to fly in class d airspace with the phantom?

Cheers

smithy

Yes. class D is allowed provided you can satisfy this:
CAP 722 UAV operations UK
1.36 Under ANO 2009 Article 166, operators of SUA with a mass of 7 kg or less are not required to gain an NSF approval from Air Traffic Control (ATC) to operate within Class A, C, D or E airspace or within an active ATZ. However ANO Article 166 states that a person in charge of a SUA ‘may only fly the aircraft if reasonably satisfied that the flight can safely be made’ and that they ‘must maintain direct, unaided visual contact with the aircraft … for the purpose of avoiding collisions’.

Reactions: scoobylou1530
Did I misread? Where is Airspace B? Also, you will not be flying in Airspace A and you would not be able to see it anyway... I can't believe your post but PLEASE fill me in if I'm missing something.

Yes. class D is allowed provided you can satisfy this:
CAP 722 UAV operations UK
1.36 Under ANO 2009 Article 166, operators of SUA with a mass of 7 kg or less are not required to gain an NSF approval from Air Traffic Control (ATC) to operate within Class A, C, D or E airspace or within an active ATZ. However ANO Article 166 states that a person in charge of a SUA ‘may only fly the aircraft if reasonably satisfied that the flight can safely be made’ and that they ‘must maintain direct, unaided visual contact with the aircraft … for the purpose of avoiding collisions’.

Many thanks for the clarification. Most appreciated

Reactions: PaulSouthport

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wkflysaphan4