Class B Airspace - Notifying Tower

Reaction score
I called the the tower for San Diego Intl to notify of my intention to fly and was told that because it was class B airspace it was not permissible, ever, short of exemption for emergency/COA because of need to properly space a/c, which my UAS (P3P) was considered by FAA to be. This runs counter to what I've been told and have read around the forums. She referred me to JO 7210.891 in which it states only under standard or emergency COA.

Drone U guys said you only need to notify so long as NoTAM or TR's prohibit at that time.

Anyone have experience notifying their local towers in class B?

Where are you wishing to fly exactly? Not all SAN control is surface to 10k. You may be in their 1800-10000' or 3000-10000' controll area.
It depends on where you will fly.

Are you positive you are within 5 miles?

Last edited:
upload_2016-3-14_18-14-46.png

Good Point Air Ontario!... the upside down cake! Forgot about that for a moment, was fixated on the 5 mile radius. Pt Loma Nazarene area, off Sunset Cliffs Blvd/ Ladera St. The area in yellow was my target area, half in and half out of classB. What's the best way to figure out whether I'll be in that layer cake at that location? The tower said, "I know exactly where that is and you are definitely in Class B at that location" but now I'm not so sure. Looks like 3 miles to end of runway.

Where are you wishing to fly exactly? Not all SAN control is surface to 10k. You may be in their 1800-10000' or 3000-10000' controll area.
It depends on where you will fly.

Are you positive you are within 5 miles?

Last edited:
Lambert, St Louis is class B and with me calling the tower when I plan to be in the air and then notify when I'm done, there is no problem. One exception is if there is low flying helo traffic they will call my cell and instruct to land.

Lambert, St Louis is class B and with me calling the tower when I plan to be in the air and then notify when I'm done, there is no problem. One exception is if there is low flying helo traffic they will call my cell and instruct to land.

So it would appear it's more about the personalities you find in the tower and/or airport.

Lambert tower management was great to work with. Very professional group to work with!

So it would appear it's more about the personalities you find in the tower and/or airport.

I'm visiting KC in July and planned to fly around the Liberty Memorial tower. From what I can see that's Class D controlled by Charles Wheeler Downtown. I called the number listed on airmap.io and the gentleman had no idea what I was asking about. Called to the WWI Memorial folks and they said it was OK so long as I followed the guidelines. You have any knowledge that would say otherwise?

Reactions: Ashby1
View attachment 47111

Good Point Air Ontario!... the upside down cake! Forgot about that for a moment, was fixated on the 5 mile radius. Pt Loma Nazarene area, off Sunset Cliffs Blvd/ Ladera St. The area in yellow was my target area, half in and half out of classB. What's the best way to figure out whether I'll be in that layer cake at that location? The tower said, "I know exactly where that is and you are definitely in Class B at that location" but now I'm not so sure. Looks like 3 miles to end of runway.
It looks like you are in Halsey airport airspace, 2800-10000'
however I am lost on the ground there so look at Skyvector.com VFR chart and see whose airspace you affect and move or fly depending on jurisdiction and airspace/permission.

Yes, and that is what I attempted, and what Drone U guys said to do.... not sure your point
Dude did you eat a tiger or something? Only reason I wrote this is because to me you weren't clear so I wanted to make sure I understood for my own good as I live within 5 miles of a Class D airport as I am new to the hobby.

Drone U guys said you only need to notify so long as NoTAM or TR's prohibit at that time.
From what you wrote, I understand that Drone U said you only need to notify if there's a Notam or TR that prohibits flights. So instead of spitting up a tiger maybe you could explain for the new members so that there is no confusion.

I was intending where the green line is. I'm not familiar with how to read these yet but I'm thinkin it says SFC for SAN but not Halsey? So if I keep further down the point I should be fine?

sectional.JPG

Check the sectional. If it's class B to the SFC, it's no go.

Last edited:
I was intending where the green line is. I'm not familiar with how to read these yet but I'm thinkin it says SFC for SAN but not Halsey? So if I keep further down the point I should be fine?]
Let me help you read this chart. The area in green, the top half is in Class B airspace from surface to 10,000 feet. Not sure what the FAA says about UAV operations (which is why I tried getting clarification) in Class B airspace, but as a student pilot I know I cannot go into this airspace without a Mode C transponder, two way radio communications and an endorsement from my CFI. The bottom half of the green line is also in Class B airspace from 2800 feet to 10,000 feet. However, it is also within Class D airspace which generally extends from surface all the way to 2500 feet. The "-28" basically means that the Class D airspace extends from surface up to but not including 2800 feet, at 2800 feet Class B airspace takes over to 10,000 feet.

There is a VFR corridor where the magenta arrows run along the dashed magenta line to the right of KSAN going from 3300 feet to 4700 feet, but our drones are not allowed there unfortunately. :-(

The big numbers in the center of each quadrant, the one for your quadrant "0 and then 8 slightly raised above" is the maximum elevation figure which means that the highest point in that quadrant is 800 feet or slightly below. The calculation is the highest elevation plus 100 feet and then adding the height of the highest point or 200 feet, whichever is greatest and rounding off to the next hundred.

My home is within Class D airspace and I generally have to notify the airport security and tower per my airport's instruction if I want to fly there.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3TailsMedia
I called the the tower for San Diego Intl to notify of my intention to fly and was told that because it was class B airspace it was not permissible, ever, short of exemption for emergency/COA because of need to properly space a/c, which my UAS (P3P) was considered by FAA to be. This runs counter to what I've been told and have read around the forums. She referred me to JO 7210.891 in which it states only under standard or emergency COA.

Anyone have experience notifying their local towers in class B?
I have gotten the exact same response from SD airport, did you speak to some woman after a couple of transfers? Basically, fiesta island, PL, etc is out of limits. Theres one spot I know in PB thats good but SD is pretty blanketed.

Basically any box containing blue letters "SFC" on the bottom means class B to the ground. So, south of that box, you're OK as long as you get the verbal from the tower. The easiest way to tell them what you want to do is this:

Identify your location of operation by providing the heading and distance measured from the center of the airport. Google Earth is good for this. Tell them your max altitude in AGL (I would suggest staying under 200ft) and operating radius (e.g. 1/8 mile) and tell them your start and end time (keep it as narrow as possible).

P.S. That's the sectional for the airfield where I learned to fly, KMYF.

Reactions: 3TailsMedia
I have gotten the exact same response from SD airport, did you speak to some woman after a couple of transfers? Basically, fiesta island, PL, etc is out of limits. Theres one spot I know in PB thats good but SD is pretty blanketed.

Yes and yes.

First, I would use an app that can show your location, then you'll have a much better idea, Looks like you're wanting to fly right in line with the runway from your pic, here is the map from uav forecast and Hover app

219ebe51af8541451d657bb8d254fc06.jpg

db4a4d2045aaff9c99858479b777c55d.jpg

Last edited:
For your box, the north end is in San Diego KSAN Class B (100/SFC) and the south end is in North Island Naval Air Station's KNZY Class D. Because of KNZY proximity to KSAN it is a pie wedge extending from the airport to the south. KNZY Class D [-28] goes from the surface to but not including 2,800 feet, at which point KSAN Class B takes over to 10,000 feet (100/28). You are also on the approach end of KNZY runway 11.

Last edited:

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj