City Council spared Austin RC Pilots...

Reaction score
Talk about good news for some of you Southern boys..

City of Austin lifts ban on drones after hobbyist and business owner speak out
If you start to see more drones flying around, don't be alarmed.

The City of Austin has lifted a ban on them in the city's limits.

Henry Wurzburg is like the many people who relocate to Austin, he embraces technology.

He was punished for flying something he enjoys, his toy drone.

"I was given a warning citation and told to cease or my property will be confiscated," said Wurzburg.

Austin Police issued the citation under a violation of City Ordinance 13-1, which prohibits drones or any remote-controlled aircraft. According to Wurzburg, police overstepped their boundaries.

"In its paragraph it says police are not to interfere with model aircraft unless they're specifically directed by air traffic control," said Wurzburg.

Wurzburg would not be the only person to cause an uproar over the ordinance.

"HobbyTown north and south here in Austin sold over 3,000 small drones for Christmas this year. Fry's sold thousands of them, and all the other retailers in town combined probably sold ten thousand or more," said Youens.

Robert Youens says Wednesday night he got the call he was waiting for.

"9:05 pm last night surprised me, I got a call from David Douglas and the City of Austin's no longer going to use 13-1," said Youens.

What was intended to be a cry to the city council to allow drone use, turned into a celebration for hobbyists, at Thursday's meeting.

"It was clear that it was an overstep," said Youens.

"It's a big relief that I won't be stopped and threatened with confiscation of my private property," said Wurzburg.

Private property that Wurzburg says he can now continue to enjoy with peace of mind

"During the week I can go fly through the trees, underneath the trees, and play around."

"Austin is a tech town that loves drones," said Youens.

Well done guys, show us the light and path to follow, if we should ever get lost in red tape.

RedHotPoker

Reactions: GoodnNuff
Got the same type 'approval' in my South Florida city.
The lobbying of the City Council was 'spearheaded' by the local 'HackLab' and other Technology companies in the city.

We also have three micro-breweries in operation too.

There are progressive governments out there.

Well you better check your politics, the liberal democrats are in firm control in Austin TX

Reactions: GoodnNuff
so it aint about republican and democrats-- it is about politics and money--- the parties don't mean a thing in this decision

Reactions: RichWest
Dude, its Texas. Are you that out of touch with current politics? If it were any redder, it would be black.
Dude, once again you're showing your ignorance about politics and gross over-generalizations. Austin is one of the most liberal cities in the country! And they were just covering their arse on this, because they were about to be shown the light of day, constitutionally.

As in, "We the People", eh? Hahaha

I used to visit Austin City Limits every Saturday night, on our local PBS affiliate, KSPS. What a great city for awesome music... ;-)

Anyway, I was very happy to see that change can also be reveresed and fellow constituents feel listened to, once again... Yay.

RedHotPoker

Reactions: snerd
The sky is not falling. Great news.

Travis County is the most liberal county in the state of Texas. There are a few of us "good old conservatives" around but not many !

Hhg
Austin, Texas

Reactions: RedHotPoker
Greetings Horace,
Well come on in, to the forum... It's always nice to see new members are joining this awesome forum... Please post some pics if and when you can.

Enjoy your valuable spare time, well spent, while on the forum...

RedHotPoker

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
argues