Choppy / intermittent video

Reaction score
I ran through a couple of battery packs this evening just messing about, and the Phantom was performing perfectly, except for the FPV feed.

It was laggy, and quite a few times I lost it altogether - the only way I found would bring it back would be to disconnect WiFi, close the app & re-open. It was quite annoying to have to do this, and it made focusing on filming objects quite problematic.

My range extender was showing 70% battery, and the top of it was pointed towards the phantom at all times. There didn't seem to be any pattern to the signal loss - it could happen three metres away, or 200 metres away.

All of my kit is still completely standard.

Any ideas?

what are you using app wise?

IOS or Android?

did you set for CE or FCC in assistant.

If an P2V2 plus you may have an issue with wifi module , they can overheat due to limited heat sinking of some components. many videos on how to online.

That was my last fix and when I went totally crazy with aluminum shield tape on everything including around wifi seams and plugs

My handset is in FCC mode (I turned the pot on the back clockwise & it beeps twice when turned on).

Do I have to configure it via the PT app as well?

I'm using Android on a Galaxy S5, I have an Nvidia Shield ready to go, I'm just waiting for the mount & sunshade to arrive :)

My handset is in FCC mode (I turned the pot on the back clockwise & it beeps twice when turned on).

Do I have to configure it via the PT app as well?

I'm using Android on a Galaxy S5, I have an Nvidia Shield ready to go, I'm just waiting for the mount & sunshade to arrive :)

Mine is set default to fcc in states here. worth looking at in assistant

your phone and tablet are perfect , the shield seems to be a P3 favorite for android

when I was testing the new gps antenna and comparing to the undone P2 I often had them on my table for 10 15 minutes on. A few times I noticed no wifi signal in app yet I was nearby. Not often but a couple times . then on aflight I had it happen and that was it it.
WIFI fix was on,
so far its been good on flights out 300 m or so .

I'm curious to know if anyone on here has done the Wifi heat paste mod, and if so, did it fix?

I'm looking at a brand new WiFi module on ebay for 110 quid, my mouse pointer is hovering over the buy-it-now button.... but I've also ordered the Arctic Silver paste.

I'm curious to know if anyone on here has done the Wifi heat paste mod, and if so, did it fix?

I'm looking at a brand new WiFi module on ebay for 110 quid, my mouse pointer is hovering over the buy-it-now button.... but I've also ordered the Arctic Silver paste.

so far mine has.
saw many many others that had success. That prompted me to do so when I had short drops in wifi signal

I would say that the sooner one gets this done the longer life the module will have. If it has already been damaged by the heat it wont fix it but may delay total failure.

Most likely they all will over heat if our quads survive long enough....

I replaced the WiFi unit with a brand new example, but only after taking it apart & applying the Arctic heating paste. And just now I was able to go to 1300 feet without losing video, which is frankly incredible.

I did suffer loss, interestingly, when adjusting the vertical angle on the camera, but it would return - so I wonder if there's something going on with the motor there.

But regardless, I'm pretty **** chuffed.

EDIT: I forgot to take pictures of the new unit after opening it up, but there wasn't much paste in there. And what was in there looked decidedly low-grade. I guess it's a cost cutting thing... but this must surely backfire on DJI when they end up replacing the entire module under warranty after it fails due to inadequate heat dissipation.....?

Last edited:
Update:

I flew for a total of 25 minutes last night & went to 1500 ft range, and I didn't lose the FPV feed once. The ambient temp was 18 degrees C.

Interestingly, on one occasion I flew beyond the range of the control signal but still had FPV (!). That's a first for me. Bonkers.

I had some serious problems with my FPV feed yesterday - P3 with iPad Mini (gen 2) running the iOS pilot app. I'm wondering if maybe the temperature outside has a lot to do with the system overheating and not being able to stay cool. The temperature outside when I was flying was about 95 degrees F.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic