Cheap GPS tracker : Anyone use this one.

Just to be sure that I have not sent anyone on a wild goose chase---

On a parallel topic I posted a link to a Paw Trak device. Everything looked good- weight, size, and subscription free.

However, in talking to their technical, I discovered that it is fitted with a non replaceable LiPo. End of!

With regard to the TK102- I suggest doing as I did. Buy from ebay from a seller offering free post, as it is not worth their while telling lies- a refund is the full amount, they lose the postage costs.

Before buying, ask 1/ is this a genuine Xexun tracker 2/ Is the device fitted with a GPS chip

Bear in mind that their are no genuine Xexun trackers on ebay, the real ones cost more than £70, and are shipped with 1 battery, no waterproof case and no magnetic back. All these items are packaged with clones.

But some clones are good, mine works perfectly.

The vast majority of sellers did not even reply to my 2 questions above. So that's the wheat sorted from the chaff.

The seller I was looking for replied that his was a clone, but guaranteed that it was a perfectly functioning copy. He was true to his word.

Thanks for the info.

To cut the chasing on eBay, can you tell us the sellers name?

Thanks

This is the guy I bought from, but it seems he is out of stock.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/TK102-B-Mini- ... 19e36d40f8

But I would not skip the step of asking the questions I outlined, his new stock might not be the same.

There is another question I forgot to mention. Ask if the tracker will validate on the Xexun web site. The answer will be 'No' - but this is unimportant. What your after is establishing that the seller is on the level.

jthorstad - Did you have to do anything initially other than just pop in your sim from your iPhone? I just got my tracker and sim adapter and put it in along with a microsd card. I text begin123456 as to my phone number to start the process and I get nothing back. The device has its own imei number, do I have to do anything with that with ATT? Wonder why I'm getting nothing back?

Make sure you're sending an SMS, not MMS or iMessage. My first few tries, nothing happened. Then I noticed I was sending an iMessage (it was blue on my iPhone).

After sending the message, I tapped it and was able to send as a Text Message. Then it worked!

jthorstad said:
Make sure you're sending an SMS, not MMS or iMessage. My first few tries, nothing happened. Then I noticed I was sending an iMessage (it was blue on my iPhone).

After sending the message, I tapped it and was able to send as a Text Message. Then it worked!
I definitely turned off iMessage. I assume its sending as an sms not mms but how can I tell. It's green, not blue, so I know its not iMessage. It's snowing here in VA (yes on march 25th :x ) so I didn't go outside and just put it in a windowsill. But even if I didn't have gps lock, it would respond right?

So you didn't need to do anything with ATT (or whatever provider) to register the device's imei? Did you have to format the microsd or anything? The green light comes on when I put in the battery. The on/off doesn't seem to do anything. Really hoping this thing is not doa.

Nope. Didn't have to do ANYTHING. That was why I went to the AT&T store, to see if something needed to be done. They said no, and just slapped the micro card in an adapter and away we went!

jthorstad said:
Nope. Didn't have to do ANYTHING. That was why I went to the AT&T store, to see if something needed to be done. They said no, and just slapped the micro card in an adapter and away we went!
Ok thanks. Sorry to keep asking, but it's frustrating when these things don't work. I've tried texting from 2 different cell phones so far with no response.

Figured it out. I took the sim and sd card out and reinstalled them. The sd card holder was very very slightly off level. I noticed it but thought it was for sure making contact. I guess it was off just enough. I reinstalled and it worked right away and was very accurate.

Accidentally hit the SOS button and it started texting "Help me!" to my wife and daughters phone because I enabled their #'s. Got a frantic call and text when I put my sim back in my phone :lol:

I got my sim from t mobile and called support and the attvated for me because I didn't have a phone the sim card would work on

I do have the TK102 and it sits on the side of my bird in a 3D printed carrier. Its not waterproof and the battery life is poor. It is highly accurate and I only used it once when the battery on my bird got too low and it landed in tall grass in a big field. Literally made the difference between finding needle in a hay stack.

Thanks for the advice!! Thats a great idea. I'm sure the TK102 can do all the things the Tagg/Whistle can but will require more hands on, and it still requires a SIM with some kind of credit card payment to add minutes.
The simplicity of the pet tracker I'd say wins over the TK102.
Not to mention the battery lasts several days and it is waterproof. The battery life wins it for me!
How long does the Whistle GPS battery last?
Although the battery in your tracker can last up to 30 days, a lot depends on how it is used and where your base station is.
The base station contains a short range radio. When your pet's tracker is close to the base station, the tracker "hears" that radio signal and automatically switches to power saving mode, reducing the load on the battery. But you should keep in mind that although the range of the radio signal is approximately 150 – 200 feet, the signal can be blocked by walls or large metal objects such as appliances.
The following is an estimate of the battery life you can expect:
upload_2016-1-10_16-7-45.png

Click here for more information on charging your Whistle GPS tracker.
If you have a Tagg GPS Plus, click here for information on how long the battery lasts. If you have a Whistle Activity Monitor, click here.

I'm new to this whole Phantom hobby so take this suggestion/idea with a grain of salt.

Has anyone ever thought of using a GPS Pet Tracker to locate their lost Phantom? There is a company called Tagg that makes a small devive which attaches to your cat or dogs collar and it can be tracked from a PC or Andriod device. It's small, lightweight (1oz), and costs just $99 through Amazon. Wouldn't something like this be an easy solution to the issue?

Whistle GPS Pet Tracker for dogs and cats | Whistle

U.M.

Last edited:
upload_2016-1-10_16-45-29.png

you're still going to have to buy a SIM. Anyone have a particular SIM for GPS they prefer?

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20