Cheap GPS tracker : Anyone use this one.

OK, so I take it I could probably buy the cheapest prepaid phone at Target that has a SIM card and just activate it in the phone and then move it over (I'm on Verizon so I don't have any cheapo SIM/GSM phones laying around)? Are all you guys using velcro or some other method to attach to the outside of the phantom: so you can charge it? I guess there's not enough room to put it inside the shell and run a charging cable out? That'd be the most aesthetically pleasing.

Mike

I attached the velcro to the back of my GoPro's waterproof back door, and to the back of the tracker. I then attach the tracker to the GoPro. I did that only because the only surface option on the Phantom was where the serial number is, and I didn't want to cover that with velcro.

I'd assume you could get a cheap pay-as-you-go phone and use its SIM card, but I'm no expert. My local AT&T store was very helpful in helping me get my spare iPhone SIM card to work in my tracker. It was a piece of cake, and they charged me nothing for their assistance.

For you guys looking for SIM's you can get them at Amazon for a penny. http://www.amazon.com/H2O-Wireless-...e=UTF8&qid=1394144788&sr=8-1&keywords=H20+sim

22222-500x500.jpg

Again, a reminder...

Make sure the sim cards that you're using has good coverage of areas you will be flying at. That is of utmost importance.

Remember that this little dongle is what will be beaming the location of your precious craft in case of failure. It needs to get good gps signal and good cellular coverage to contact you.

(Same with the phone you'll be contacting it with. Otherwise you may have to drive away from the area to get cellular coverage on your phone before attempting to contact the gps beacon).

jthorstad said:
I take the SIM card out of one of my iPhones whenever I want to use my tk102 tracker. Works great, and I'm using a line I'm already paying for!
I guess you have an older iPhone. I just got my tk102 and the sim from my iPhone 5 is way too small. Apparently the tk102 takes the largest sim size. Even the iPhone 4 is too small.

I'm using a SIM from an iPhone 4S - I have to use an adapter to make it big enough for the tracker. my local AT&T store made the adapter for me for free.

CJ31 said:
jthorstad said:
I take the SIM card out of one of my iPhones whenever I want to use my tk102 tracker. Works great, and I'm using a line I'm already paying for!
I guess you have an older iPhone. I just got my tk102 and the sim from my iPhone 5 is way too small. Apparently the tk102 takes the largest sim size. Even the iPhone 4 is too small.

jthorstad said:
I'm using a SIM from an iPhone 4S - I have to use an adapter to make it big enough for the tracker. my local AT&T store made the adapter for me for free.

CJ31 said:
jthorstad said:
Thanks. I realized that was probably the answer after I posted. I just went to the ATT store and they said they don't have adapters :( Looks like you can get them online for $2, so I'll order one.

Again, there's no issue using your phone iPhone sim in the tk102? My other option is to just get the H20 wireless $10/3 months plan. But if my regular phone sim will work fine, then that's even cheaper.

Thanks.

BTW - when I told the ATT guy what it was for he got excited and started asking all the questions. I finally had him bring up the DJI website. I think he will be a phantom owner soon!

Yep, I have no issues using my AT&T iPhone SIM card. I swap it back and forth between the tracker and phone with no problems.

CJ31 said:
Again, there's no issue using your phone iPhone sim in the tk102? My other option is to just get the H20 wireless $10/3 months plan. But if my regular phone sim will work fine, then that's even cheaper.

Thanks.

BTW - when I told the ATT guy what it was for he got excited and started asking all the questions. I finally had him bring up the DJI website. I think he will be a phantom owner soon!

jthorstad said:
Yep, I have no issues using my AT&T iPhone SIM card. I swap it back and forth between the tracker and phone with no problems.

CJ31 said:

Thanks.

Thanks.

jthorstad said:

CJ31 said:

Thanks.

Thats good news,I need to try it

jthorstad said:
I considered all the possible trackers out there, but wanted to avoid any additional monthly costs. For me, using a SIM card I'm already paying for makes sense.

This Tagg device has an $8/mo service price. That's not outrageous by any means, and would be nice peace of mind. I'd like it even more if I can cancel the subscription for months I wouldn't be using it. Perhaps you can, I didn't look closely.

I looked on ebay and found that Tagg pet tracker for $45.

HoverMan said:
jthorstad said:
I considered all the possible trackers out there, but wanted to avoid any additional monthly costs. For me, using a SIM card I'm already paying for makes sense.

This Tagg device has an $8/mo service price. That's not outrageous by any means, and would be nice peace of mind. I'd like it even more if I can cancel the subscription for months I wouldn't be using it. Perhaps you can, I didn't look closely.

How much does it weigh?

CJ31 said:
HoverMan said:
jthorstad said:

How much does it weigh?

Not sure but it cant weigh much.

$_3.JPG

I would remove the collar part, obviously, and just place the square someone on the mc. Its $8/mo and I'm still not sure how it works. Like, can you just see where it is on your iphone anytime? Not sure.

It weighs in at 1.16 oz. Let us know if you buy one and how it works out for you. I have looked at them in the past but didn't want to waste my money. I suppose if it doesn't work out as expected you could always resell it on chinabay. It relies on cell service to report so make sure you have coverage where you live... theres a map on their site so you can check.

LuvMyTJ said:
It weighs in at 1.16 oz. Let us know if you buy one and how it works out for you. I have looked at them in the past but didn't want to waste my money. I suppose if it doesn't work out as expected you could always resell it on chinabay. It relies on cell service to report so make sure you have coverage where you live... theres a map on their site so you can check.

Ok. 1.16oz probably includes the whole collar too. I'll be removing as much as possible. I already know my dogs activity level and their meter doesn't go low enough, I assure you! She sleeps all day.

My dogs are also professional couch surfers. :lol:
That weight is what you have pictured, no collar. So the center part and the grey part.
Looks like the center part would easily separate from the grey part. Probably weighs a third less after that. If the center components are not molded in you could lose the cover maybe cutting the weight in half.

HoverMan said:
How much does it weigh?

Not sure but it cant weigh much.

$_3.JPG

I would remove the collar part, obviously, and just place the square someone on the mc. Its $8/mo and I'm still not sure how it works. Like, can you just see where it is on your iphone anytime? Not sure.

I actually emailed their tech support and specifically asked about removing the collar portion. I was told you can't because the integrated antennae runs though it.

U.M.

Uncle Meat said:
I actually emailed their tech support and specifically asked about removing the collar portion. I was told you can't because the integrated antennae runs though it.

U.M.

Good to know!
..at 32g it's not a deal breaker as well.

After my F450 flyaway earlier this week (at a potential loss over over $1500!@# F!@#$), I'm gladly going to be paying $8 a month to ensure I never lose a quad again.
never though I'd experience a flyaway, but they do happen, so if you're flying with a gimbal and go pro, it's worth it I'd say!
learn from my mistake!@#

Mmmm I have still yet to see a post from anyone who has used one of these to find their quad in a real life situation yet they are getting as common as gimbals. You would have thought by now that it would have been a common thing. I reckon real flyaways are now very rare indeed.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers