Changing my Connections

Reaction score
So I recently purchased two 6400mAH 3S 40C Nano-Tech batteries with Traxxas connectors and I'm thinking about changing all of my batteries and F550 over to Nylon XT60.

It seems like the best connection to change over to, and I'll probably buy more Nano-Techs in the future depending on how they fare, but I'd love to have your feedback.

Absolutely. Unless you expect to use any other connectors on your PDB (the lower frame board) or PMU, then switching to XT60's is a no-brainer. The other option is to have an adaptor for each connector type your various batteries come with, or two...one for flying and one for charging. I can tell you from experience that gets real tedious real fast.

If you've never put new connectors on a battery before, just be sure to familiarize yourself with the precautions you need to take, like not snipping both wires at once ;)

OI Photography said:
Absolutely. Unless you expect to use any other connectors on your PDB (the lower frame board) or PMU, then switching to XT60's is a no-brainer. The other option is to have an adaptor for each connector type your various batteries come with, or two...one for flying and one for charging. I can tell you from experience that gets real tedious real fast.

If you've never put new connectors on a battery before, just be sure to familiarize yourself with the precautions you need to take, like not snipping both wires at once ;)

Fantastic. Yea I defiantly considered using adapters but the less connections the better. Haha, I'll try my best not to :roll:

OI Photography said:

I learned that lesson the hard way, however with 240v mains :(

Why not keep the Traxxas connectors? I find them very easy to solder on. The XT60s I found very tight and difficult when changing out the battery on my Phantom v1. Just saying. I guess it comes down to a matter preference.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

FangsCPO said:
I guess it comes down to a matter preference.

Very true. Are you using Traxxis connectors on your PMU/PDB as well?

I guess the safe answer to the OP's question is to just pick a connector style you like and stick to it for simplicity's sake...mixing and matching connector types usually isn't worth the headache.

OI Photography said:
FangsCPO said:
I guess it comes down to a matter preference.

Very true. Are you using Traxxis connectors on your PMU/PDB as well?

I guess the safe answer to the OP's question is to just pick a connector style you like and stick to it for simplicity's sake...mixing and matching connector types usually isn't worth the headache.

I've always been a Traxxas connector guy since that's what's on all my on-road and off-road RC Cars. It wasn't until I purchased the F550 that I had something other than a Traxxas Connector. I'm about to change my Lipos and F550 to a Traxxas connector since for me it's the easiest to solder and it's what I'm used to. I see no reason to stay with Dean's connectors at this point.

I started using the Deans connector when I got the F550. I found that sanding the spades down a little on the edges helped with inserting them tremendously. A little 400 grit (or a fine file) lets them slip in with no problem but they are still sturdy. In another thread, I had a battery slip loose from the holder and the connector is probably all that kept it on the aircraft (and it was at high altitude over a river when the incident happened.. whew...).

Soldering the XT60 or the Deans is a PITA but not terrible. A lighted helping hands from Harbor Freight (I reinstalled mine on a heavier base) and a good soldering iron are all that is needed.

Oh... and been there and done that with snipping both leads of a power line - was 115v and I was standing on a metal ladder. Nothing like an experience to teach you a deserved lesson.

ladykate said:
I started using the Deans connector when I got the F550. I found that sanding the spades down a little on the edges helped with inserting them tremendously. A little 400 grit (or a fine file) lets them slip in with no problem but they are still sturdy. In another thread, I had a battery slip loose from the holder and the connector is probably all that kept it on the aircraft (and it was at high altitude over a river when the incident happened.. whew...).

Soldering the XT60 or the Deans is a PITA but not terrible. A lighted helping hands from Harbor Freight (I reinstalled mine on a heavier base) and a good soldering iron are all that is needed.

Oh... and been there and done that with snipping both leads of a power line - was 115v and I was standing on a metal ladder. Nothing like an experience to teach you a deserved lesson.

I haven't touched a soldering iron in years, haha. I have a mate who's a sound engineer and an RC Heli Hobbiest which is awesome for me as he did all of my connections. Flew it today with my nano-tech 6400mah and it went great!

Btw thanks for everyones input. I actually looked into all of those connections but in the end decided on the XT60 because everyone I know that is into this stuff has the XT60, so if I ever need to borrow an extra battery or charger I can always chase them up ;)

SammyB said:
Btw thanks for everyones input. I actually looked into all of those connections but in the end decided on the XT60 because everyone I know that is into this stuff has the XT60, so if I ever need to borrow an extra battery or charger I can always chase them up ;)

That is perfectly valid logic upon which to base that decision ;)

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shimuafeni fredrik