Dual Battery Mod

Is the battery swollen? Be sure the battery is fully charged. Place battery in AC. Connect AC to computer. Use Phantom 2 Vision Assistant to check battery. Check cell balance and max mAh levels.

Which one do you recommend for P3P :

single TATTU 5200mah 15c 450gr( problems with balance - CG)
or
single multistar 4000mah 10C 345gr(problems with balance - CG)
or
or two 4S battery 1500 - 2000 ?

Last edited:
Yea one seems to be swollen and other looks slightly swollen..they are so expensive online. Thanks for your reply odontologo98*

Thats why the low flight time.p2 bats didnt last long, their battery board wasnt nearly as advanced as the current models. Soak em in salt water for a couple days then toss em in the trash. Or sell em on ebay with FULL disclosure of their issues , some people want the bat boards, start the bid at $1 and see where it goes [emoji41]

hi chazz greetings from the sunburn country...and i still have an open plane ticket sitting here..destination australia ..lol
no but seriously got an issue my P3P seems to lack power with a battery mod..like yesterday morn (using ms 4000) basic calm flew out doing 56-57kpk..on the turn aaround was getting 48-49 kph back ...a bit better speed when lowered elevation but im thinking motors might be on the way out..what do think?

Reactions: chazz
What all do you loose other than the ability to have a power button if you hook up a standard Lipo Battery directly to the main board? I have already made this Mod with the smart board but I want to go a step further and come up with a way to eliminate the smart board all together. There are too many issues with tying to integrate Smart Board with a standard Lipo like inaccurate battery levels. So I want to try to come up with a new method of completely doing away with the smart board but need to know exactly what is going to be lost in doing so.
20180203_195728.jpg
20180204_201845.jpg
20180205_104657.jpg
20180205_104857.jpg

hi chazz greetings from the sunburn country...and i still have an open plane ticket sitting here..destination australia ..lol
no but seriously got an issue my P3P seems to lack power with a battery mod..like yesterday morn (using ms 4000) basic calm flew out doing 56-57kpk..on the turn aaround was getting 48-49 kph back ...a bit better speed when lowered elevation but im thinking motors might be on the way out..what do think?

I think there was a 4km/hr wind at elevation. Your bird flew a constant 53kp/hr plus 4 on the way out (57) and minus 4 on the way back (49). If that’s slower than before the battery mod, the extra weight is probably responsible. Aging motors would not be my first guess.

I think there was a 4km/hr wind at elevation. Your bird flew a constant 53kp/hr plus 4 on the way out (57) and minus 4 on the way back (49). If that’s slower than before the battery mod, the extra weight is probably responsible. Aging motors would not be my first guess.
There's always a tradeoff between the extra weight of externals and the flight time they can add from the additional mAh. Finding the sweet spot is the challenge. Highest mAH/g of weight helps in choosing the best batteries, which tend to be more expensive.

Roger that guys..there always factors to consider in finding that sweet spot.

Hey Alan Hows it goin? Hope things are going well! Did you ever figure out what was going on with your P3? I never had issues wit motors going weak just had bearings getting a little rough feeling so i changed them as a precaution...Sounds like wind to me but not sure...

I'm going to test some new batteries DB told me about ,,,8.5 Proteks. They seem to be pretty comparable to the MS lihv batteries as far as mah per gram (MPG) I'm pretty anxious to get some of that "sunburn country" weather around here in NE Pa to start testing stuff again!

What all do you loose other than the ability to have a power button if you hook up a standard Lipo Battery directly to the main board? I have already made this Mod with the smart board but I want to go a step further and come up with a way to eliminate the smart board all together. There are too many issues with tying to integrate Smart Board with a standard Lipo like inaccurate battery levels. So I want to try to come up with a new method of completely doing away with the smart board but need to know exactly what is going to be lost in doing so.View attachment 94490 View attachment 94491 View attachment 94492 View attachment 94493

So did you try just plugging in a lipo? How'd it go?

Hey guys. I've been going through this thread(there is a lot to cover. I wish I could view more posts per page...)and there is a lot of information to process.

Using the original post's method to mod the battery, what, in you all' humble opinion, is the best thing to hook up to it?? Best bang for buck, so to speak.

Right now I plan to mod an existing P3 battery, and attach whatever you guys say to attach to it. Probably two additional batteries. One on each side for balance and what not. I have a **** ton of zip ties so I plan to zip them to the outside of the landing gear on each side, unless there is a better opinion.

Thanks in advance for anyone who takes the time to provide some guidance.

Hey guys. I've been going through this thread(there is a lot to cover. I wish I could view more posts per page...)and there is a lot of information to process.

Using the original post's method to mod the battery, what, in you all' humble opinion, is the best thing to hook up to it?? Best bang for buck, so to speak.

Right now I plan to mod an existing P3 battery, and attach whatever you guys say to attach to it. Probably two additional batteries. One on each side for balance and what not. I have a **** ton of zip ties so I plan to zip them to the outside of the landing gear on each side, unless there is a better opinion.

Thanks in advance for anyone who takes the time to provide some guidance.

theres an option in your user prefs on how many posts to display per page, i think default is 50 and you can move it up to 200.

For the best way, i personally think either the direct solder mod, or the battery clip. Two reasons, 1) if you do modded battery mod it ties you to that battery and that battery alone, doesn't leave flexibility if you have more batteries (you gotta mod them all) and 2) you end up with more runs on that stock battery, rather than being able to use multiple and spreading the love out .. the batteries lose mah/ efficiency over time, so thats not desired. The direct solder mod costs the price of an xt60 power connector and your time. The clip is a bit more, unless you make it yourself. Clip is super easy to use as well. I always do the direct power line, just cause its cheap and easy for me (taking the p3 shell can be a pita though).

Saddle bags works well, one on each side. You can also ditch the vps or disable it (i used to remove the vps unit itself) and strap a battery on that as well if you wanna run a single, a MS 5200 4s fits well under there :)

I would stay away from zip ties, I would use tape .. electrical tape is great. Wrap it a few times, boom your done. Zip ties, I'd be afraid wouldn't hold as well as wanted if things got bumpy/hard flying, etc. Good luck man, the p3 is a fun bird to fly, especially with some batteries. Your gonna want an antenna next!

can someone point me out to where I can find the wiring diagram of the balance cable coming off the the original phantom 3 battery board? I'd like to use a 4s lipo to replace dead batteries like pic

Attachments

• balance and pwer.jpg
    balance and pwer.jpg
    452.6 KB · Views: 83

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shimuafeni fredrik