Changing Mavic 2 Zoom to a P4P+

Reaction score
Hello guys,

My name is Ciprian, I'm from Romania and I am consider myself an amateur "filmmaker" that likes to shoot wild landscapes and create documentary-like videos with Transylvania's mountains and wilderness in general, but also photographing such places.
Nothing too fancy, as I am new to drone movie making; my time won't allow me for too many trips a year and I don't intend to become a professional - it is strictly for my pleasure and my friends' pleasure, though that doesn't mean I don't strive to be better and better

That being said, I currently own a Mavic 2 Zoom with a Fly More Kit that I intend on exchanging this Saturday (hopefully) with a P4P+ that comes with 2 extra batteries and a carrying rucksack designed for it. I do not have the money to go better and, say, sell my drone, add some cash and get a M2P. That is a no-no.

My reasons for this exchange rely entirely with the camera of the P4P that I've seen to be much better than the M2Z, though this is somewhat subjective.
I never found the zoom of M2Z to be extremely useful in my compositions and the fixed aperture has been killing me ever since I bought it (I used to be a photographer for years, working with a lot of DSLRs). I chose M2Z instead of M2P back when I got it because I thought the zoom would help me for some very creative shots. That did not prove to be the case... sadly.

I process my videos in DaVinci Resolve and I have nothing against using D-cinelike or even D-log for P4P and spend a lot of time (more or less) to grade my videos post-production.

My questions for you dear pilots is if this exchange would be worth it given the reasons I said above. Some told me it is a step back.
I admit that the biggest downside is the portability, I think - carrying the M2Z for 15 km on a hike is easy. The P4P might not be the same :) But that doesn't put up such a serious problem for me.
The camera should make a difference.

Thank you in advance and please feel free to share your thoughts on this.

The following links might help you get the idea for what I am trying to create, these being some of my videos so far.
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

It's definitelly not a step back. It must have been a Mavic owner who told you that.
The cam on P4P is objectivelly better (!) and you'll get a mechaical shutter and adjustable apertures.
The only misadvantage could be the portability but this depend only on your habits and posibillities.
You won't be sorry!

Reactions: Ciprian.U
It's definitelly not a step back. It must have been a Mavic owner who told you that.
The cam on P4P is objectivelly better (!) and you'll get a mechaical shutter and adjustable apertures.
The only misadvantage could be the portability but this depend only on your habits and posibillities.
You won't be sorry!

Thank you all for your replies and compliments!

Portability isn't much of a problem if the camera will give me the details and the dynamic range I am looking for.

Andy9, indeed there were two Mavic 2 Pro owners among them (edit) :)) But I found that drone's camera to give results that were too yellowish. Others online said the same story...

A mechanical shutter is awesome and the fact that I can adjust apertures is very important.

Your words contribute a lot to my conviction of making this exchange!

Last edited:
Might I ask for some of your videos or compositions if you care to share them with me? I am curious about the results. I've seen a lot of footage on YouTube about how P4P's camera behaves, but I would really appreciate other samples from you guys. Thanks!

Heres an early morning one I took in D Cinelike 4K @ 60fps

Wow! First, I love New Zealand! And second... that's a very different dynamic range than what I am used to on my Mavic 2 Zoom. And the clarity is really different.
Thank you!

Wow! First, I love New Zealand! And second... that's a very different dynamic range than what I am used to on my Mavic 2 Zoom. And the clarity is really different.
Thank you!

We fly the Mavic 2 zoom and the Phantom 4 Pro Plus and truth be told the Phantom consistently provides more benefits all the way around .

its interesting to see how the Phantom reacts to the elements compared to the mavic 2 zoom.
You might find it interesting.

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly your Phantom 4 in the Rain
Coal

Reactions: gppms and Ciprian.U
Excellent video, just right for the music.You've got beautiful sky. Lucky.
This Mahler is my favorit!
I've been there last year but mostly grey sky and heavy wind.
Andy

Reactions: RPP
And photos as well. I put my previous comment just in the time, when you posted the other one.

Reactions: RPP
Thank you for sharing these with me/us, Andy9 and RPP!

These look amazing. Where is it? Looks awfully similar to some medieval ruins in Transylvania...
It's a ruins of an mediewal village and fortress at Rovinj, Istria, Croatia. The other two are from Slovenia.

Reactions: Ciprian.U

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jody.paugh@fullerandsons.