Changes Are Coming to the Part 107 Test

I couldn't agree more with that point.
Again, if you don't understand what the runway numbers mean and don't know how to listen to the radio and interpret where an airplane is, it prevents you from safely flying near an airport. Now you can argue that you don't fly near airports anyway. But your certificate allows you to do that, so you have to learn the necessary knowledge. A pilot certificate isn't a la carte.

Reactions: captainmilehigh
I'm a land surveyor and I've been asked three different times to see my license. Twice by the police and once by a land owner. It was never an issue. But I'm pretty good at diffusing a potential argument.
makes sense...thank you

I too have been spoken with, but was never asked about certification, or any identification. The first time a park ranger was interested because he wanted to buy a drone. He had no idea about the VLOS. He didn't ask anything about certification.
The second time was by a "sheep dog", and he just chased me out of the campgrounds, which was a little odd because I wasn't really near the campgrounds, but I moved on toward the bridge and all was good. No request for certificate. He thought my goggles might be binoculars...nope...no spotter.
The third time was a police officer who saw me parked on the side of the road and at least used the excuse of my might needing some help to stop. He could see the drone, but clearly had no idea about 5 mile radius from an airport. DJI would not let me take off. I explained geo-fencing. He was amazed. No request for any identity. He left. I left.

I agree with Ruckert. My 107 license has just expired, and I'm not convinced that my circumstances justify all of the effort and cost to retake another exam.
My Phantom paid for itself a couple of times over, and I have a new Mavic Pro replacing it, so I still look forward to some flying.
I've never flown higher than a couple hundred feet, mostly much lower, all within a couple hundred feet distance away. Do I really need to know a plethora of info in the test? I think not.
The Part 107 test covers so much material that has no bearing whatsoever on my own little flights. I can't think of a single thing in those test that has been useful or helpful. Way overkill, at least for me.
To be thrown into a category that seems to meet the knowledge needs of actual plane pilots strikes me as being silly. and obstructionist by people who early on decided they were fearful of the unknown.
I understand that it can be important to many others of you out there, but for me, I'd rather shut down and stop flying than go through another round of study and testing. Simply not worth it.
I'm in complete agreement here. It seems like the test is intended to be nothing more than a deterrent.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl