Cell Low Voltage Protection Warning

Reaction score
Hi all!

I'm new to the forum. I own a P2V (over a year now) that I purchased with 2 batteries and have enjoyed no problems and no crashes(knock on wood) to date.

About 6 flights ago I got a low voltage alarm going off and the next flight I noticed a loss of power at about 40 -50% battery left. Today I got the "Cell low voltage protection warning" on my DJI Vision App and had to fight to keep the bird in the air. This was about 8 minutes into flying and with a charge of 65% left,

BOTH batteries are doing this although I'm getting about 10 minutes flight out of the other battery!

I'm also getting another message about High/Low battery temperature. What is going on? Are both batteries dying at the same time? I estimate about 20-30 charges for each battery. I hesitate to buy a new battery because it seems odd that BOTH batteries are giving me trouble at the same time. Any ideas???

Hi all!

I'm new to the forum. I own a P2V (over a year now) that I purchased with 2 batteries and have enjoyed no problems and no crashes(knock on wood) to date.

About 6 flights ago I got a low voltage alarm going off and the next flight I noticed a loss of power at about 40 -50% battery left. Today I got the "Cell low voltage protection warning" on my DJI Vision App and had to fight to keep the bird in the air. This was about 8 minutes into flying and with a charge of 65% left,

BOTH batteries are doing this although I'm getting about 10 minutes flight out of the other battery!

I'm also getting another message about High/Low battery temperature. What is going on? Are both batteries dying at the same time? I estimate about 20-30 charges for each battery. I hesitate to buy a new battery because it seems odd that BOTH batteries are giving me trouble at the same time. Any ideas???

use a good contact cleaner on all contacts inside the quad as well as battery..
Pay attention to the data pins and make sure they are clean and able to compress a bit(spring loaded).

alcohol works somewhat if that's all you got to test it out

good luck and have fun flying

You need to hook it up to the Assistant and check the health of the pack.

It may be a weak cell. There are actually 6 individual cells in the pack (2P3S).

You need to hook it up to the Assistant and check the health of the pack.

It may be a weak cell. There are actually 6 individual cells in the pack (2P3S).
I'll try it as soon as I find a good connector. But doesn't it seem a little coincidental that both batteries started going bad at the same time???

use a good contact cleaner on all contacts inside the quad as well as battery..
Pay attention to the data pins and make sure they are clean and able to compress a bit(spring loaded).

alcohol works somewhat if that's all you got to test it out

good luck and have fun flying
I'll give it a try! Thanks!

TD, What was the issue with your P2V "Cell Low Voltage Protection Warning" on both packs?

TD, What was the issue with your P2V "Cell Low Voltage Protection Warning" on both packs?
Well it really came down to bad cells on both batteries. One of the batteries began to visibly swell! Bought new batteries and the bird has been flying great since.

I am a super newbie, but my battery was bought brand new just 2-3 months ago. I charged it up this week [it was at 25%) for it's 1st flight and I get the "Cell low voltage protection warning" blocking my Android's Vision display!! I think I need to read up... MarknMD, what do you mean about 'deep discharging'? Do we have to do that with LiPo batteries?
And TP, my original battery is starting to 'pooch out' a bit... what does that mean? Its still working great.

You two posters above should read the manual. You should read it from top to bottom at least twice.

C4 - sounds like your battery is done. If it's swelling, it's a sign that it's going bad and the pressure is building inside. You should retire it. In fact, I'd put it somewhere safe until you can dispose of it properly. I would not keep it in the house. It could blow up while you're sleeping.

And yes, C4 and Trump, you need to do deep charges every 20 cycles per the manual. Please read the manual. If you don't do the deep discharges, you may be getting a false reading on the battery display and in your app regarding the battery's charge percentage.

Reactions: rcfanatics
You two posters above should read the manual. You should read it from top to bottom at least twice.

C4 - sounds like your battery is done. If it's swelling, it's a sign that it's going bad and the pressure is building inside. You should retire it. In fact, I'd put it somewhere safe until you can dispose of it properly. I would not keep it in the house. It could blow up while you're sleeping.

And yes, C4 and Trump, you need to do deep charges every 20 cycles per the manual. Please read the manual. If you don't do the deep discharges, you may be getting a false reading on the battery display and in your app regarding the battery's charge percentage.
Mark, thanks for the unsolicited advice but I HAVE read the Manuel many times. as well as having reviewed several legitimate YouTube tutorials. Look at the date of my post, I've learned a lot about my quads battery after 10 months and what needs to be done after an FW update. And believe me I know alllllllllll. about how to safely handle and dispose of lipo batterys. I've been RC,ing for 10+ years. i was able to give my batteries to my local flying club. I did not personally discharge and dispose of them. I assumed you were referring to a routine discharge particularly after a firmware update. ((A procedure that I was NOT in the habit of doing at the time)). I have a written schedule for both my quads batteries and I monitor and check them constantly both in my pre-flight routine and sometimes just for the hell of it. So thanks anyway for your very unhelpful and unwanted advice.

Last edited:
Hi TrumperyDusk, and welcome to the forum C4Net. No need to apologize for being newbies. We were all newbies at one time.
I've been flying a P2V for two years, alternating back and forth between two batteries, deep discharging them now and then. All has been well until a couple months ago - TX said I had 100% charge, four green battery lights upon takeoff, but after less than 8 minutes in the air, I got the Low Voltage message, tail lights went red, and the P2V began to descend on its own. Fortunately it was only 20 feet high and 20 feet from me. This happened with both batteries on the same day within 15 minutes of each other, except the second battery lasted only 4 minutes, and just as it landed, a prop flew off. OMG! but no harm, no foul.
I had been noticing I was getting less and less flight time out of each battery over the summer, so after the experience described above, I ditched the two batteries at Best Buy after discharging them to zero, bought a new one, and now my P2V has been flying like a champ for its 20-22 minutes, just as good as the day I bought it.
Conclusion? Yeah, don't expect these DJI smart batteries to last forever. And if they are bulging - ditch them and get new ones.

Hi TrumperyDusk, and welcome to the forum C4Net. No need to apologize for being newbies. We were all newbies at one time.
I've been flying a P2V for two years, alternating back and forth between two batteries, deep discharging them now and then. All has been well until a couple months ago - TX said I had 100% charge, four green battery lights upon takeoff, but after less than 8 minutes in the air, I got the Low Voltage message, tail lights went red, and the P2V began to descend on its own. Fortunately it was only 20 feet high and 20 feet from me. This happened with both batteries on the same day within 15 minutes of each other, except the second battery lasted only 4 minutes, and just as it landed, a prop flew off. OMG! but no harm, no foul.
I had been noticing I was getting less and less flight time out of each battery over the summer, so after the experience described above, I ditched the two batteries at Best Buy after discharging them to zero, bought a new one, and now my P2V has been flying like a champ for its 20-22 minutes, just as good as the day I bought it.
Conclusion? Yeah, don't expect these DJI smart batteries to last forever. And if they are bulging - ditch them and get new ones.
Hi Pumpkin, thanks for your post. I agree , don't gamble on those batteries. I've seen some burn and they burn fast and hot and sometimes explosively.

I am a super newbie, but my battery was bought brand new just 2-3 months ago. I charged it up this week [it was at 25%)

If you had them stored for any amount of time just sitting at 25% charge instead of around 50% they very well could of been damaged from not being stored at the right voltage. Which could also explain both batterys being bad at the same time if both of them were left at about 25% for more then a few days. same as if they are ever stored for a long time at 100% charge is also not good on them. esp if the self discharge cycle dont bring them down to the right storage charge voltage.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic