"Cell Broken"

Reaction score
In the DJI app, under batteries. last item under advanced.

Details, I get the cryptic message:

"Cell Broken"

Anyone know what that actually means? All other battery parameters look normal.

Thanks
Bill

"Cell Broken"

Thanks
Bill
Unsure but take all batt warnings on board,could press and hold for 5 sec and see how many lights come up.4 is very good,,.....I'm flying on ps3 batteries from 2016,only 1 batt down to 3 lights so telling me it's getting tired and could cause critical auto-land where you not want it,,,my turn for batt to so if in doubt don't use it,,,,just my opinion though,
These battery to clever for their own good

Reactions: ArmyVet

"Cell Broken"

Thanks
Bill
There are multiple cells within every LiPo battery. If you are getting an indication that there is a bad cell, then stop using that battery. If it is still within the warranty period, contact DJI and they will most likely replace it for you. If not, just dispose of it properly.

"Cell Broken"

Thanks
Bill
Is the battery an OEM DJI battery or is it a 3rd party battery? I had purchased 2 new 3rd party batteries and both had the cell broken message in the app. I returned them.

Caution is called for here anytime the batteries are involved. That said, I have gotten this indication a few times. It always comes up when the weather is cold. I have flown anyway and have had no problem. So I have concluded it is something where it causes this because of the cold. When I have checked the data after the flight, the battery is fine. No bad deviations. They batteries just don’t like being cold, but heat up just fine once in the air doing their thing. Again though caution is advised.

Thanks everyone for the replies. It is an aftermarket battery. The first one I have ever tried. Brand new. All other indications look good. Iwill call the vendor. I might try to cycle it a time or 2 to see if that "cures it"

Thanks again.

Thanks everyone for the replies. It is an aftermarket battery. The first one I have ever tried. Brand new. All other indications look good. Iwill call the vendor. I might try to cycle it a time or 2 to see if that "cures it"

Thanks again.
It likely won't cure anything. You might also find that after a flight with the 3rd party battery that you will hear a clicking sound coming from the aircraft after powering off the battery. Both my batteries would do that as they did not completely turn off and I had to remove them from the aircraft to stop the noise.

Okay an UPDATE.
And to clarify this battery is:
Powerextra 15.2V 4480mAh LiPo Intelligent Battery Replacement Battery. Purchased on AMAZON.

I have now tried 3 different batteries from this manufacturer. 3 different lot numbers. Same error "broken cell".
Every battery gave cell voltage readings that were within one 1/100 of each other.
I have one original DJI battery that does not have the error.

I flew one battery and had no issues. I know maybe I took a chance. :eek:

I am thinking that 3 batteries can not be bad. But something in the DJI firmware is interpreting this as an issue.

But then I am just guessing.o_O

So, any other thoughts here?

All my batteries are DJI. There have been reports of 3rd party batteries not being fully compatible in terms of the internal monitoring of cells and occasional incorrect voltages. It may not be a problem. Just keep a close eye on your battery level when in flight to bring it home when it gets low (30% or less), depending upon the distance from home.

Okay an UPDATE.
And to clarify this battery is:
Powerextra 15.2V 4480mAh LiPo Intelligent Battery Replacement Battery. Purchased on AMAZON.

I have now tried 3 different batteries from this manufacturer. 3 different lot numbers. Same error "broken cell".
Every battery gave cell voltage readings that were within one 1/100 of each other.
I have one original DJI battery that does not have the error.

I flew one battery and had no issues. I know maybe I took a chance. :eek:

I am thinking that 3 batteries can not be bad. But something in the DJI firmware is interpreting this as an issue.

But then I am just guessing.o_O

So, any other thoughts here?
I purchased 2 if the exact same Power extra batteries fron Amazon as well. Both had the "cell broken" error. I tested them thoroughly along side my OEM DJI battery with the following results:
Flight times were identical on all.
After flight battery temps showed the Powerextra batteries to run 5 to 10C hotter than the OEM battery.
Both Powerextra batteries would not power down correctly, lights would turn off but if left installed in the aircraft it would make a loud tick tick sound (once per second). I would have to remove them and let them cool before this ticking would stop. Also after removing them I tested the voltage output on them and they both showed 15.4 volts while powered off. After letting them sit and cool no voltage was present. I decided to return them for a full refund as I just didnt trust them. Strictly OEM batteries for me now.

All my batteries are DJI. There have been reports of 3rd party batteries not being fully compatible in terms of the internal monitoring of cells and occasional incorrect voltages. It may not be a problem. Just keep a close eye on your battery level when in flight to bring it home when it gets low (30% or less), depending upon the distance from home.
Thanks for your reply.

I purchased 2 if the exact same Power extra batteries fron Amazon as well. Both had the "cell broken" error. I tested them thoroughly along side my OEM DJI battery with the following results:
Flight times were identical on all.
After flight battery temps showed the Powerextra batteries to run 5 to 10C hotter than the OEM battery.
Both Powerextra batteries would not power down correctly, lights would turn off but if left installed in the aircraft it would make a loud tick tick sound (once per second). I would have to remove them and let them cool before this ticking would stop. Also after removing them I tested the voltage output on them and they both showed 15.4 volts while powered off. After letting them sit and cool no voltage was present. I decided to return them for a full refund as I just didnt trust them. Strictly OEM batteries for me now.

Thanks for your reply.

I have not seen any other issues. I will check the the temperatures and report back.

Thanks

Okay I have a brief follow up question for anyone that has actually purchased and used the same exact battery for a Phantom 3

Powerextra 15.2V 4480mAh LiPo Intelligent Battery Replacement Battery. From AmAzon

Did all of you get the "broken cell" warning???

Thanks.

Okay I have a brief follow up question for anyone that has actually purchased and used the same exact battery for a Phantom 3

Powerextra 15.2V 4480mAh LiPo Intelligent Battery Replacement Battery. From AmAzon

Did all of you get the "broken cell" warning???

Thanks.

I have 3 PowerExtra batteries. My oldest one has 90 charges, next oldest 75, and newest one (1.5 yrs old) has 43 charges. Other than having a bit dimmer LEDs, they all work exactly the same as my one original DJI battery. If I ever need to replace one of my P3 batteries, I would purchase another PowerExtra again.

Chris

I have 3 PowerExtra batteries. My oldest one has 90 charges, next oldest 75, and newest one (1.5 yrs old) has 43 charges. Other than having a bit dimmer LEDs, they all work exactly the same as my one original DJI battery. If I ever need to replace one of my P3 batteries, I would purchase another PowerExtra again.

Chris
Thanks Chris.

So you have never seen the "broken cell" error???

Thanks Chris.

So you have never seen the "broken cell" error???
That’s correct. If I did I would be hesitant to use that battery. All of my PowerExtra batteries have the latest firmware and I have used them in temperatures ranging from -25C to over 30C without ever getting any battery errors.

Chris

That’s correct. If I did I would be hesitant to use that battery. All of my PowerExtra batteries have the latest firmware and I have used them in temperatures ranging from -25C to over 30C without ever getting any battery errors.

Chris
Ok, Thanks again.

Reactions: Chrislaf

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BoguSlav