CE or FCC Phantom 3 advanced

Yeah would be great to get an update, your last post seems to indicate it should be possible. Just a greater understanding of the code needed.

I though about this and... radio have no GPS:
Location data can be taken from:
1) a drone, and transmitted into a radio, but 'what if' GPS will not work or we just do not turn on a drone. Maybe 'last known' is used.
2) from a tablet - from a localisation menu or from GPS (not every tablet have gps and gps location can be posored in dev options)
3) set in factory. dead end. soldering iron or screw driver.

Would be good to see someone work this out. The CE may still get the 2k range but you would think the Fcc mode wile probably still go further plus have more penetration though things like trees.

Set in factory for shipping destination is what most dealers in the UK say, I have also asked dji this question many times and they say the same thing.

Set in factory for shipping destination is what most dealers in the UK say, I have also asked dji this question many times and they say the same thing.
And what if you move or have a contract in US? Buy FCC version to have a better range?

I do not know. Someone says it is depend from GPS, even from DJI (dji forum) and other claims it is set by a factory.

How to recognize a difference between CE and FCC?

How to recognize a difference between CE and FCC?
It's the same version. It'll auto choose CE or FCC based on the GPS location.

Reactions: D4T_PoM
OK, so from data collected are? from a drone? and what if a gps will not work in a drone?
Radio have no GPS. A radio need to know where is to set a proper mode.

Would be good to see someone work this out.
The CE may still get the 2k range but you would think the Fcc mode wile probably still go further plus have more penetration though things like trees.
This is not a big deal.
Specs from DJI say:
Max Distance
Up to 5 km or 3.1 miles (unobstructed, free of interference) when FCC compliant
Up to 3.5 km or 2.1 miles (unobstructed, free of interference) when CE compliant
There are plenty of European owners flying great distances. You'll easily get more than 2k range.

We know, but we would to know how it works and how to workaround it. We know a fact a range is good.
A challenge is to get knowledge :)

Reactions: fin032
3000m is not a problem in CE mode without any hack mate.

My friend video:

4km, CE mode, no mods, full signal.

Not good you would not to share with a community with Your discover, however it is Your saint law and choice.
We still need to digging. I have hope if someone discover how to workaround it will show a solution to others, even anonynomously.

Last edited:
Reactions: Mr.Spock
Hello,

i managed to do it and even go further than FCC mode. My Phantom 3 has flow quite far, only started to drop signal after more than 4000 m distance, and lost it after 5500-6000 m.

Due to this hack i managed to sell my drone as "exclusive" for quite more than what i paid it. I liked my drone, but was so disapointed with shell quality even after installing new improved shell that i decided to sell it.

Due to possible legal problems, DJI lawsuit or someone dropping the bird to someones head in such long distance flights im not sharing how i did it or doing it to anyone. I also gave a promise to my buyer he is the only one in possesion of such drone!

The solution is actually pretty easy after you find it, just need to dig quite deep!

I have one picture from demo to buyer, here it is at 3000 m, full all signals. The drone was controlled from forest where i live over the hills and far away from any line of sight like all my flights, i guess if would not be lower than City in forest, and had LOS the drone would go 10 000 m in one way (no power for back), did not have time to test it

image hosting site
Why would u not share your hack if you don't bare any responsibility buddy? Technically one could do the hack and not fly the bird then no local regulation or law is broken. If one decides to mod something that is his property and as long as he is not harming others (if the bird is grounded) there is not issue. If the range is increased or not it makes no difference as the full potential range of P3A/Ps is 1.2 miles and now more according to the new spec any way. Even if the range was 100 miles there is no law broken as long as u fly LoS.
Can you at least give us some hints so we can work backwards and reverse engineer what u achieved? Unless it is just a claim.

Last edited:
Reactions: Kyokushin
Here is some updates about what i found until now, not much. I have found a website where an user told how to comunicate with Phantom 3 trough terminal when connected to PC and there was possibly power output configuration file but i lost it... ( i have seen this prior to buying the phantom)

I have checked the FW file. I suspect the GPS settings of output power is correct! I have found strings "READ MAP FILE" followed by "max_tx_power=%d" and "txpower Set Tx Power", "Limiting TX power to %d (%d - %d)"

Im still digging it, im a hardware guy so this is still just a research for me. I will also try to catch a friend that is expert in this kind of hacking to check it.

It's a shame you won't share. Which is your choice, though is no more dodgy than the 32 channel hack which has been around for ages with zero repercussions, or any of the shops selling boosters, which have been around since the first Phantom was released.

Can you let us know if you were on the right path with this post?

Reactions: Kyokushin
Switch to FCC is not a more range, but more safety. Signal would be more stable, and this is only one reason to solve this problem. This could prevent fly away, drone loss or air accident.
Lets go to work guys! If i find something i will share with You.

Last edited:
Reactions: Chris P Duck
One of the Irish guys reckoned his TX had FCC written on the back of it - mine has CE. The furthest I have been is 1650m @75m before the signal dropped. I was with my pal a few days ago and I saw 3300m on his @ 300m. Might have something to do with the height though?

Mine has FCC on the back of the RC here in the
UK
ImageUploadedByPhantomPilots - DJI Phantom Forum1446758904.856615.jpg

Reactions: Mr.Spock

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jrl