CATONSVILLE, MD drone flying

Reaction score
I have been asked to video a youngsters bicycle race at CCBC in Catonsville, MD in a couple of weeks. It appears to be under the
Class B airspace for BWI and outside the DC restricted airspace.
The lat/long is 39 15 08N 76 44 04W. This is hobbyist only.
Somewhere there is a site which allows an overlay of FAA sectionals
onto Google Earth but I have not been able to do that either thru Earth or FAA sites.
Has anyone found/used a website to accomplish the above? Help!

Jim

I have been asked to video a youngsters bicycle race at CCBC in Catonsville, MD in a couple of weeks. It appears to be under the
Class B airspace for BWI and outside the DC restricted airspace.
The lat/long is 39 15 08N 76 44 04W. This is hobbyist only.
Somewhere there is a site which allows an overlay of FAA sectionals
onto Google Earth but I have not been able to do that either thru Earth or FAA sites.
Has anyone found/used a website to accomplish the above? Help!

Jim

Jim, not to be a sour puss but anytime you're "asked to do something" you have taken yourself out of the "Hobby/Recreational" protection of Section 336. You can't "Hobby" for someone else.

You can check Hover or AirMap to see what they depict for the area in question.

Jim, not to be a sour puss but anytime you're "asked to do something" you have taken yourself out of the "Hobby/Recreational" protection of Section 336. You can't "Hobby" for someone else.

You can check Hover or AirMap to see what they depict for the area in question.

That is not correct. In order to be required to fly per 107 one must be
compensated...i.r., paid or in some physical manner compensated for ones efforts. I offered to do it after being invited to watch it. No 107 here.

I looked at it. The question is: are the altitudes posted within the grid squares the max altitude one can fly WITHOUT a waiver as a hobbyist or ...? The definitions posted of exactly what the grid squares mean is somewhat confusing.

I looked at it. The question is: are the altitudes posted within the grid squares the max altitude one can fly WITHOUT a waiver as a hobbyist or ...? The definitions posted of exactly what the grid squares mean is somewhat confusing.
The numbers in the grid squares indicates the maximum altitude that a Part 107 pilot will be able to get an 'automatic' approval for when requesting authorization. Hobbyists, need to notify Air Traffic Control of their intended flight. At that time ATC can object to the flight or not.

Reactions: BigAl07
That is not correct. In order to be required to fly per 107 one must be
compensated...i.r., paid or in some physical manner compensated for ones efforts. I offered to do it after being invited to watch it. No 107 here.

You are VERY wrong my friend. Compensation is only ONE thing that removes you from Hobby/336 protection. We can't even do Search & Rescue (which is VOLUNTEER) without Part 107 because you can't "help someone" and still fall under the Hobby/336 umbrella.

Now in all reality the odds of anything calling the FAA's attention to this are slim to none unless there is an incident. With that being said, you already let the cat out of the bag when you said "I've been asked" even though you recanted and stated "I offered to do it after being invited to watch it." That's exactly how you incriminate yourself when the poo hits the fan.

Last edited:
The numbers in the grid squares indicates the maximum altitude that a Part 107 pilot will be able to get an 'automatic' approval for when requesting authorization. Hobbyists, need to notify Air Traffic Control of their intended flight. At that time ATC can object to the flight or not.

I finally pinpointed the location. It is just inside the Class B airspace which extends, at that location, from the surface to
10,000’ MSL. If the location were 3 miles northwest it would be UNDER Class B airspace which would extend there from 1500’ to 10,000’. There, Class G exists and no waivers or phone calls to ATC would be required. Oh well! Thanks for the
help!

Reactions: flockshot
Since that's Class BRAVO SFC you will have to request ATC permission rather than just "Notify" even though you stated you're flying as a hobbyist. They may not allow it depending on traffic patterns and level of traffic at the time of your anticipated flight.

I'd give them a call well in advance (days) to discuss your desires and then offer to call 30 minutes prior to flight and again as soon as your flight session is over.

Since that's Class BRAVO SFC you will have to request ATC permission rather than just "Notify" even though you stated you're flying as a hobbyist. They may not allow it depending on traffic patterns and level of traffic at the time of your anticipated flight.

I'd give them a call well in advance (days) to discuss your desires and then offer to call 30 minutes prior to flight and again as soon as your flight session is over.

Yes! I have had good luck with ATC in the recent past. I am retired airline pilot so always have lat/long, VOR/DME bearing from the airport plus deadreckoning distance/bearing from published airport center or runway end closest to my desired flight location. ATC appreciates the precise data. I will publish what happens. Thanks for the responses!

Reactions: BigAl07

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
src72