Catching your drone - is that a good idea?

Reaction score
I see people talking about catching their drones with their hands. Is that a good idea?

I have to think that this is a safety no-no and if something goes wrong you risk seriously hurting yourself.

So what do you think - is it risky or not?

It's fairly safe to do if you do it properly.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

If you do it cautiously, it should be fine. I prefer to land using my case. It's good practice. Helps with being precise.

it's the only way I land now.... grab it with one hand, left stick down for three secs with the other hand....
Why? I'm getting to old to bend over and pick it up off the ground

Reactions: dalebb
I used to be appalled at the idea - because I was used to flying CP helicopters like a Trex 600 that could (quite literally) take your arm off. Yes it is possible you could get hurt (and maybe require stitches )- but as long as YOU approach the quad (not have the quad flying at you) and you're careful - it is pretty easy to do safely. I generally use this technique when I am needing to land on a beach or in an area with taller grass... I would also consider it in areas where there is no flat land.

I prefer to land using my case.
This is not an easy thing to do. If you miss the case or your Phantom falls off, you might ruin your props (or other hardware).

Hand catch all the time, never had a problem with hundreds of catches. Once you get the first few out of the way you won't look back. Stock props won't do anymore damage than a few scratches. Just another reason not to use carbon fibre props.

And how much damage will it do to you if you make a mistake or the drone unexpectedly dives?

1st to go is the props, if you don't shut down the motors 2nd part could be an ESC. If in sand, dirt, motors can get messed up.....

I always move to the phantom and make sure it is above my head so I have to reach up to it. I grip it really lightly until the rotors begin to slow, reducing the amount of lift.
Next I want to try the hand launch for if I'm in an area without a suitable take off point. I don't know if it is, but I imagine that is a bit more risky, although I thought the hand catch was risky until I did it.

And how much damage will it do to you if you make a mistake or the drone unexpectedly dives?
What if the same thing happens while landing on the ground? Could the Phantom all of a sudden fly off during the second or two it Take to grab it? Yes. It could also just fly right at you while coming in for a ground landing.

I only hand catch now as I feel the limited risk is worth when weighed against the drone being damaged upon landing.

As always, each person needs to decide what is best for them.

ive been doing a hand catch eversince i started from my FC40 until now with my P3P... its very easy to do a hand catch but it is also dangerous at the same time if you dont do it right.. as been said above, maintain a very stable hover as best as you can, reach the aircraft and grab either legs, and after that pull down left stick for 3 secs and motors will shut off.

I only hand catch. Never an issue for me, P1->P2->P3. One thing to consider--maybe or maybe it is just a rumor--is if VPS is on, and your hand appears under the sensors as you go in for a grab, it could cause the drone to move unexpectedly. Two solutions: approach it from the back, not the front, and/or turn off VPS.

Reactions: snowghost
Am I the only one who thinks that it is unsafe and looks like you don't know how to land properly?
Wait until one of you sees the damage one of those propellers can do to your flesh (I hope you dont). I have seen it first hand, it's bad.
I'm a good pilot but I don't need nor want to take a chance.

If it's windy, it will tip. That's why it's good to learn how to do this.

Unless your competent with the sticks I say nope....some of these pilot's have been flying for years. They can make it look easy. And it mite be...

I hope you guys that owned a p1 p2 p2v2 p2v3 ask these guys how long they have been flying before you say its easy.....

Unless your competent with the sticks I say nope....some of these pilot's have been flying for years. They can make it look easy. And it mite be...

I hope you guys that owned a p1 p2 p2v2 p2v3 ask these guys how long they have been flying before you say its easy.....

I've been flying for a couple of weeks and it's easy. Just make sure you move towards the aircraft, don't move to aircraft to you. Be careful, use common sense, and it's straightforward.

I'm a total newb when it comes to flying but ever since I had a tip over on landing( no damage) I catch it. As with anything,be careful but I think the most important thing is don't get overconfident

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jody.paugh@fullerandsons.