CASA ReOC (Australia) Phone interview 11am this Thursday

Reaction score
I have my final assessment interview booked in with CASA this coming Thursday. I'd love to chat with anyone that has gone through this process... it seems pretty daunting.

I've had my RePL license for about 6 months now and flown many jobs for clients and quite confident in my general knowledge but any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.

One element I have to complete before the phone call involves preparing (as quoted from CASA when advising of the date / time of this call...) a Job Safety Assessment, Risk Control Worksheet, Flight Authorisation, Pre-Operational Briefing for a task based scenario, this would be similar to one that would typically be undertaken by your proposed operation, this would include any pictorials, risk assessment, flight plans required, etc.

Scenario: Media Shoot – Opera House, NSW

You have been engaged to capture video imagery of an anti-nuclear protest at the Sydney Opera House. The protest is being held to coincide with the arrival of a foreign nuclear submarine into Sydney Harbour.

The client wants video of the protest including close-ups and wider shots which show the scale of the event.

Complete a JSA / job plan for the shoot including details of how you would go about obtaining the necessary permissions.

As a minimum that must include:
  1. Conducting a preliminary JSA;
  2. Identification of any risks which are not dealt with by your normal operating procedures;
  3. Development of risk management strategies to mitigate all non-standard risks down to an acceptable level;
  4. Identify any factors which may affect when and how you complete the task.

I have my final assessment interview booked in with CASA this coming Thursday. I'd love to chat with anyone that has gone through this process... it seems pretty daunting.

I've had my RePL license for about 6 months now and flown many jobs for clients and quite confident in my general knowledge but any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.

One element I have to complete before the phone call involves preparing (as quoted from CASA when advising of the date / time of this call...) a Job Safety Assessment, Risk Control Worksheet, Flight Authorisation, Pre-Operational Briefing for a task based scenario, this would be similar to one that would typically be undertaken by your proposed operation, this would include any pictorials, risk assessment, flight plans required, etc.

Scenario: Media Shoot – Opera House, NSW

You have been engaged to capture video imagery of an anti-nuclear protest at the Sydney Opera House. The protest is being held to coincide with the arrival of a foreign nuclear submarine into Sydney Harbour.

The client wants video of the protest including close-ups and wider shots which show the scale of the event.

Complete a JSA / job plan for the shoot including details of how you would go about obtaining the necessary permissions.

As a minimum that must include:
  1. Conducting a preliminary JSA;
  2. Identification of any risks which are not dealt with by your normal operating procedures;
  3. Development of risk management strategies to mitigate all non-standard risks down to an acceptable level;
  4. Identify any factors which may affect when and how you complete the task.
Hi,

At the end how did your phone interview go?I know it is already a year ago :) I need to send in my application via a CASA delegate this week. Could you tell me about the interview? Regards Rudy

When is yours?
I am preparing to do it soon. Just going over the operations manual and procedures library. It should be straight forward and in hindsight I could have prepared these myself rather than having someone do it, though this didn't come at a great cost. I was curious to hear about other people's experience of the verbal assessment part.

I am preparing to do it soon. Just going over the operations manual and procedures library. It should be straight forward and in hindsight I could have prepared these myself rather than having someone do it, though this didn't come at a great cost. I was curious to hear about other people's experience of the verbal assessment part.

Well I am back having just done the verbal assessment with CASA for the ReOC, and I thought I would give some quick feedback for anyone interested in doing this in the future.

Firstly, it is not that daunting. Like with the RePL license test which was open book, this is too. You can have all your resources open to help you while you take the call. If you don't know something or get it wrong you get a chance to work it out and resubmit the scenario. Of course for your own benefit it helps to have it all down and be confident in your knowledge. But, in the end this is a learning exercise.

The call itself consists of going over your scenario and how you approached it. Then they ask some specific questions about the airspace and try to figure out your understanding of the VTC for the area and how well you are able to access certain info like NOTAMs, and quiz you on some things like legislation. Questions ranged from "What do you need to do if you want to operate outside of SOC?" to "How far can you fly from people?" When I did it I had NAIPS, CASR101, VTC + a VTC legend and the ERSA pages for the local aerodrome all right there but the only time I had to look at anything was when they asked what the briefing area number was for that particular location. eg For Sydney it would be area 21 (worth adding to your operational briefing anyway). Overall, importance is placed on understanding the airspace and populous area rules and making sure you are going to know how to operate safely.

Now I'm waiting for my ReOC to get here! In the mean time happy to answer any specific questions anyone may have or even assist with your scenarios.

Well I am back having just done the verbal assessment with CASA for the ReOC, and I thought I would give some quick feedback for anyone interested in doing this in the future.

Firstly, it is not that daunting. Like with the RePL license test which was open book, this is too. You can have all your resources open to help you while you take the call. If you don't know something or get it wrong you get a chance to work it out and resubmit the scenario. Of course for your own benefit it helps to have it all down and be confident in your knowledge. But, in the end this is a learning exercise.

The call itself consists of going over your scenario and how you approached it. Then they ask some specific questions about the airspace and try to figure out your understanding of the VTC for the area and how well you are able to access certain info like NOTAMs, and quiz you on some things like legislation. Questions ranged from "What do you need to do if you want to operate outside of SOC?" to "How far can you fly from people?" When I did it I had NAIPS, CASR101, VTC + a VTC legend and the ERSA pages for the local aerodrome all right there but the only time I had to look at anything was when they asked what the briefing area number was for that particular location. eg For Sydney it would be area 21 (worth adding to your operational briefing anyway). Overall, importance is placed on understanding the airspace and populous area rules and making sure you are going to know how to operate safely.

Now I'm waiting for my ReOC to get here! In the mean time happy to answer any specific questions anyone may have or even assist with your scenarios.
Hi Nemo,
hope you don't mind me taking you up on your offer for assistance??
I have to do my scenario soon, and think I'm OK with most of it... except for the legalities, like..... "operate outside of SOC.... and How far can you fly from people?"
My scenario is a function in a public area (Mt Cootha Lookout in Brisbane).... and i need to get closeup images video & pics) of the group as they arrive and exit the bus, and also get closeups of the individuals in the party...
I realise that 15-30 metres needs permission from the party members, but every ONE of them????

Also, this is a public area.... how can I avoid flying over people... and what about people who are NOT part of this party group I am photographing?? how does this all fit with the 'populous area' restriction??
How would I obtain the permissions needed for the job?
I also need to get images at dawn, of the city from the lookout, but I would think that was covered by the night flying endorsement, OR the 30 minute before daybreak rule, where the UAV could operate as normal?

I'm more than a little confused and anxious.

Hi Nemo,
hope you don't mind me taking you up on your offer for assistance??
I have to do my scenario soon, and think I'm OK with most of it... except for the legalities, like..... "operate outside of SOC.... and How far can you fly from people?"
My scenario is a function in a public area (Mt Cootha Lookout in Brisbane).... and i need to get closeup images video & pics) of the group as they arrive and exit the bus, and also get closeups of the individuals in the party...
I realise that 15-30 metres needs permission from the party members, but every ONE of them????

Also, this is a public area.... how can I avoid flying over people... and what about people who are NOT part of this party group I am photographing?? how does this all fit with the 'populous area' restriction??
How would I obtain the permissions needed for the job?
I also need to get images at dawn, of the city from the lookout, but I would think that was covered by the night flying endorsement, OR the 30 minute before daybreak rule, where the UAV could operate as normal?

I'm more than a little confused and anxious.
Hey mate, really sorry but for some reason I missed or didn't get an app or email notification for your reply!

How did you go with it in the end?

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic