CASA and DJI

I’m unsure about others experience however I am unable to read the article without a paid subscription to the publication.

Sorry guys I didn't realise it was sub only.
Not the same story but wtbs one is interesting.
Basically the govt is pushing CASA to implement stronger regs in line with other countries.
The comments range from "I'll shoot it down with my pressure washer" to some including me in our defense.
Unfortunately there are also accounts of pilots doing the wrong thing.
I was surprised to read in wtbs article that there are only just over 1000 of us registered with CASA.

Reactions: With The Birds
Interesting times ahead. I read a post on mavicpilots where the OP shared what is said to be CASA’s responses by way of email to questions about the rules. The 30m rule for separation from people not actively involved in the operation of the AC was described as an imaginary cone extending from the surface, no surprises there. What was interesting was the avoiding flying over people requirement was confirmed as requiring 30m horizontal distance. Populous area was said to include any residential premises, flying over your neighbors property is likely to be in contravention of the rules as you can’t know with certainty what the movements of people might be. Flight over populous areas is restricted to certified aircraft and apparently no such certifications have been issued to any UAV in Australia. I will post the link to the thread if I find it.

Reactions: Phill2
Interesting times ahead. I read a post on mavicpilots where the OP shared what is said to be CASA’s responses by way of email to questions about the rules. The 30m rule for separation from people not actively involved in the operation of the AC was described as an imaginary cone extending from the surface, no surprises there. What was interesting was the avoiding flying over people requirement was confirmed as requiring 30m horizontal distance. Populous area was said to include any residential premises, flying over your neighbors property is likely to be in contravention of the rules as you can’t know with certainty what the movements of people might be. Flight over populous areas is restricted to certified aircraft and apparently no such certifications have been issued to any UAV in Australia. I will post the link to the thread if I find it.

Yep
I read the same post
I'm registered and approved for commercial but still have to follow the same rules

Surprisingly CASA is n our side in this one.
Senator O'Sullivan has an ongoing campaign to ground drones and has a heightened sense of the dangers of drone use.
He's sure that everyone that buys a drone either wants to fly up 5000 feet or do circuits around their nearest airport.
He tried to get the <2kg commercial use rule overturned and seemed to think that the rule change meant owners of <2kg drones no longer had to follow any rules.
CASA had carefully thought out their rules (and took years to do it) and stood up to him.

Reactions: Phill2 and Loz
I don't know Senator O'Sullivan. But it would seem like a good opportunity to meet him and fly a drone with him, to at least counter some of his hostility. Yes, I'm a Pom, but I worked with Australian government officials and a few politicians during the 1990s - mainly at State level but also a bit at Canberra. It's not that difficult to change minds of people in positions of authority, providing you're on solid factual ground and can bring integrity to the table. Politics is "of the people and for the people" - and, yes, this commonly gets forgotten by career politicians.....but most are actually not that bad when you meet them. I've spent time with a number of senior figures, on a one-to-one basis, and there's usually a good human being lurking somewhere inside the hardened politician.

Reactions: Neon Euc
It's not that difficult to change minds of people in positions of authority, providing you're on solid factual ground and can bring integrity to the table. Politics is "of the people and for the people" - and, yes, this commonly gets forgotten by career politicians.....but most are actually not that bad when you meet them. I've spent time with a number of senior figures, on a one-to-one basis, and there's usually a good human being lurking somewhere inside the hardened politician.
Sadly Sen. O'Sullivan isn't that sort of person.
Here's a sampling:
A Coalition senator is calling for a ban on drones
Tensions boil over drone safety dispute
Nocookies

He's had his enquiry for a year, received submissions from lots of people and could have learned something but it appears he hasn't let facts sway his opinions at all.

Sadly Sen. O'Sullivan isn't that sort of person.
Here's a sampling:
A Coalition senator is calling for a ban on drones
Tensions boil over drone safety dispute
Nocookies

He's had his enquiry for a year, received submissions from lots of people and could have learned something but it appears he hasn't let facts sway his opinions at all.

To say he sounds like an arrogant pig would be an understatement but he sounds dangerous.
Maybe he's upset that Santa didn't bring him a drone?

Meta4: He's obviously not an easy character. But I'd be encouraged that he's a former air crash investigator. That suggests some excellent qualities such as appreciation of the need for fine detail. Sometimes, once you finally get through to "difficult" people, the switch can be dramatic. Using the words of a close colleague, our approach is always to appeal to an individual's noble side and never give up. With people like Senator O'Sullivan, that better side is there; you just need to find a way in to properly connect. And we're tough, not at all fluffy, fully realistic about the worst side of human psychology/behaviour.

Meta4: He's obviously not an easy character. But I'd be encouraged that he's a former air crash investigator. That suggests some excellent qualities such as appreciation of the need for fine detail. Sometimes, once you finally get through to "difficult" people, the switch can be dramatic.
My communications with his office were very disappointing.
A lot of people made submissions to enlighten him but his mind was made up before he started.
The investigator background sounds good but none of the characteristics that implies are evident.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
robvalduga