Carbon Fiber Propellers, any better?

OH, I don't know. Something about them blades being inferior, and decomposing mid air, causing crashes. @dji is aware of this risk and is redesigning them, as we speak. By Feb. 2016 we are hopefully anticipating the new carbon fiber reinforced blades, will be out available to spin up, on the birds we love. ;-)

That's all folks. Just waiting on ol' reliable, is my assessment.

RedHotPoker
Will DJI replace our CF reinforced props if they know that these are the bad ones?

I hope what you are saying is abs correct. I hate rumors.

I wouldn't make up a story, about a circumstance this serious. If something happens while you are flying with them, that's on you.
I know of no public company announcement, or posting from them @dji officially, but was told from a very reliable source, and that is it. Wait and see. I can hold off on purchasing these at least until a "safer" design is available. ;-)
When they are, I will be the first to grab a few pairs, and have a go above, myself.

RedHotPoker

Are you "poking fun" at us again or have you heard something about a Dji CF prop redesign? They are still pushing them on the Dji website. How 'bout a link?
I see nothing funny about this topic. Why, do you?
No actually I'm quite serious, in all honesty. But I wish you luck with them. Fly what ever pleases you.

RedHotPoker

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    51.6 KB · Views: 295
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    44.9 KB · Views: 345
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    113.9 KB · Views: 257
Some carbon fiber blades are exactly that.
new 9450 carbon fiber propeller (Perfect Balance / low inertia) for DJI phantom 3
That was where the video I posted above, originated.
Not @dji rotor blades.

RedHotPoker
So it might be the aftermarket CF blades causing problems?
I honestly see no difference in examining the Dji CF blades except for the color. Even their weight is nearly the same (yes, I weighed them). They are stiffer however, which is of dubious value.
I painted my old ones black satin while waiting for the CF's to ship and they look the same (it did not change the props' balance).
So who knows anything for sure - not me anyway.

I hate to turn someone off, from a product or service they enjoy using.
But if the item in question has had issues, why not share that info, with those who will listen? Not up to me, to ask why they are still selling them. I personally don't care. But they look cool as heck, and I will buy them, only in a couple of more months, later. ;-)

RedHotPoker

Reactions: alokbhargava
I wouldn't make up a story, about a circumstance this serious. If something happens while you are flying with them, that's on you.
I know of no public company announcement, or posting from them @dji officially, but was told from a very reliable source, and that is it. Wait and see. I can hold off on purchasing these at least until a "safer" design is available. ;-)
When they are, I will be the first to grab a few pairs, and have a go above, myself.

RedHotPoker
Thanks

So it might be the aftermarket CF blades causing problems?
I honestly see no difference in examining the Dji CF blades except for the color. Even their weight is nearly the same (yes, I weighed them). They are stiffer however, which is of dubious value.
I painted my old ones black satin while waiting for the CF's to ship and they look the same (it did not change the props' balance).
So who knows anything for sure - not me anyway.

The DJI CF reinforced props are several grams lighter than stock!

Weigh all four, at one time... ;-)
Cumulative reduction.

RedHotPoker

Weigh all four, at one time... ;-)
Cumulative reduction.
RedHotPoker
Good thought. I just now did it for you 2 at a time on a postage scale in 1/10 graduations. (Couldn't muster 4 of the painted ones)
All Dji props
White: .8 oz per pair
White painted black: .9 oz per pair
Black CF with yellow stripes: .9 oz per pair
I was wrong - the CF props are heavier. (repeatable results BTW)

I tested both and I like the CF (with the yellow strip) the best. I have know scientific reason or test to point to.

They just ''feel" better but I don't know how to explain that "feel" .... not much help I know

Reactions: Silverwingflinx
Carbon fibre are better they don't flex as much stronger same weight as stock.lets not forget that many of us have added more stuff to our p3 increasing the weight.also when flying in strong winds I think the cf props are still better no flexing fly safe

Reactions: Dounin Front
Carbon fibre are better they don't flex as much stronger same weight as stock.lets not forget that many of us have added more stuff to our p3 increasing the weight.also when flying in strong winds I think the cf props are still better no flexing fly safe
The flex in the white propellers isn't a problem.
It's a designed feature and gives the Phantom a smoother ride.
Next time you fly in a modern jet like a 787 or a 737-800, look out the window and see how stiff their wings are.

Reactions: Dirty Bird
The flex in the white propellers isn't a problem.
It's a designed feature and gives the Phantom a smoother ride.
Next time you fly in a modern jet like a 787 or a 737-800, look out the window and see how stiff their wings are.

If they didn't make wings flexible, they'd snap... that flexible design reduces fatigue within the structure of the wing.
Yes, the flexible wings make for a smoother flight, but also reduce lift efficiency. Not a huge loss, but a measurable one.
As the propeller flexes, it changes the shape of the prop, which will have a similar reduction in lift.

There a LOTS of reasons to put a flexible prop on these birds... Mfg cost is probably in the top 2. :)

Hi guys,

I am just wondering if anyone here bought the carbon fiber propellers and seeing any performance differences?
1. Faster?
2. Better balance in wind?
3. Turns quicker?
4. etc?
I purchased a set of CF blades from HeliDirect, and what I like about them is the fact that they make far more noise than the plastic units. I often fly in densely wooded areas and in mountain ranges, and I like the fact that I can hear the props buzzing long before I can see the P3 coming into range for a landing. In some instances, less noise is better. Being a plastics engineer, you always have to choose between stiffness and toughness. The CF blades are far more rigid and that's a good thing for props. The plastic units are "tougher" in that they are going to flex if impacted, however, anything that touches either blade is likely to cause damage at that velocity. If you "plan" for impact, stay with the plastic. You could debate this many ways such as the person below who hand-catches...I never thought about that aspect. Pick what you want to optimize....one guy says below he likes the looks. I agree. For me, I want to hear the drone as far off in the distance as possible. Finally, I believe the response is better on turning. I've tried many CF blades and only the brand that HeliDirect sells seems to be optimal.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic