Car rooftop external antenna

Reaction score
Hi boys and girls,

I have seen a post on here where a guy found this:
76c0a26b50358c5fc9299469f2e7cbca.jpg

As it's very cold in the U.K. Right now I would like to sit in the car and fly my bird whilst parked on the field I fly at. I've tried without any external antenna as people advised but I frantically seem
To loose a lot of range. I would like a setup as above for a P3S as this one is for the A. Is there any sort of avalbile kit anyone has seen that's ready to buy like this in the U.K. I can only seem to find this one on the internet.

Once we've smashed that issue, I'm assuming
I would need a couple
Of external ports on the radio to plug this in, but that will do txt will still work
On stock antennas when unplugged. If anyone could advise, point me in the right direction or help me out here I would
Appreciate it.

All the best,

Tom

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

or you could open the sun roof. If it is to cold for you outside, chances are very good your drone won't like being outside either.
But electromagnetically, antenna can even BE the car if you tune it properly.

But electromagnetically, antenna can even BE the car if you tune it properly
Would you care to expand on that? How complicated and what sort of expense would be involved. My limited understanding of aerials led me to believe that the length of an aerial should be a factor of the wavelength, how does that work for a whole car.

Even if it was theoretically possible is it more practical to put up a pair of rabbit ears on the roof as per the first post.

Hi boys and girls,

I have seen a post on here where a guy found this:
76c0a26b50358c5fc9299469f2e7cbca.jpg

As it's very cold in the U.K. Right now I would like to sit in the car and fly my bird whilst parked on the field I fly at. I've tried without any external antenna as people advised but I frantically seem
To loose a lot of range. I would like a setup as above for a P3S as this one is for the A. Is there any sort of avalbile kit anyone has seen that's ready to buy like this in the U.K. I can only seem to find this one on the internet.

Once we've smashed that issue, I'm assuming
I would need a couple
Of external ports on the radio to plug this in, but that will do txt will still work
On stock antennas when unplugged. If anyone could advise, point me in the right direction or help me out here I would
Appreciate it.

All the best,

Tom

Since your looking into this, you might like these sites.
REDbird RF | Access the Inaccessible
REDbird Repeater for DJI Phantom and AR Drone Wheel Antenna Kit

I assume that REDbird repeater is for the P2 and P3S Wifi system. I couldn't see whether it was also compatible with the DJI Lightbridge used on the P3A/P and P4. Lightbridge still uses the 2.4 Ghz frequency but has much greater range than the older Wifi system.
You could just send them a email and ask. But I think it would work. It's the very same frequency like you said, and Lightbridge is really a type of wifi. It's just proprietary so not true wifi, but it is wifi in a way. They also have repeaters for the 5.8 GHZ signal as well, which would be for the Standard control signal. But your correct in that their marketed for the P3S and P2's.

I believe these are sold by BlueProton as well. If these hook up to the existing connectors to the ARGTek mod they produce I may invest in these too

I don't have a sunroof or I would have thought of that [emoji13]

Their was a thread on this forum about a week or so ago on external aerials for car and house roofs, it became a little bogged down on aerial theory and the legalities of control out of the line of sight so I didn't read all 20+ pages but if you were interested I'm sure there was plenty of useful info in there. I can't recall if there were any UK posters on it.

but does it work I have the range extender on my radio 2 paddles and 1 ant would it be compatible with the range extender I would like to get video of my 4x4 going down a track to the river follow me mode p3 std

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj