Can't Unlock Geofence Authorization From The Field (Wasted An Afternoon)

Reaction score
I could not unlock an authorization (Geofence??? From the field today despite having cell service). Using Phantom 3 Advanced and version 3.1.58 of DJI go app on android 8.1.0.

It gave me the popup dialogue offering me the opportunity to get authorization

But I couldn't login. It asked me for my email and password. I entered both and pressed the submit button, but nothing happened. There is a little blue bar that says login and a small spinning white circle appeared for a second, but then it didn't actually log in.

Worse yet, I tried to use chrome on my phone to login via the website (bypassing the app), and the dji.com website said that unlocking is NOT available with the mobile version of the website, only the PC version. But the problem is the dji.com website always serves just the mobile version once it detects you are using a phone. I can't access the PC version of the site when using my phone.

Are these authorizations built into the aircraft itself??? If I use an app like Litchi can I bypass these authorizations?

I am really steamed about this. I am fine with DJI wanting to boost safety and requiring authorizations if close to an airport (even if it is Class G airspace and I am flying under 107), but FFS make your technology work. :(

The whole geo lock thing, although clever, is a real pita. I always get a little ‘verify’ box at the bottom where I type in a code # that they text me.
And I always do it on the same tablet that has my go4 app at dji flysafe website.

Reactions: Just Mark
The whole geo lock thing, although clever, is a real pita. I always get a little ‘verify’ box at the bottom where I type in a code # that they text me.
And I always do it on the same tablet that has my go4 app at dji flysafe website.

Thanks for the reply. Just noticed you are in Sonoma. I am just down the 101 in Marin (and I was flying about a mile away from Gnoss airport in Novato, which is a Class G airport but still has the geofence in place).

Yeah, it is either a problem with the App (I am using version 3.8 and it looks like you are using some version of 4), or possibly my phone / version of Android doesn't like the app.

I tried accessing the dji website from my phone again this evening and again, it said it "does not support submitting applications on mobile devices." And there doesn't seem to be a way to access the PC version of the web site when I am on my phone.

EDIT: I see that Chrome has a feature to request the Desktop version of a site. It is in the menu you can access by clicking the three vertical dots in the upper right hand corner of the screen. Guess that will be the best workaround for me. I normally use Opera Mini as my browser.

Last edited:
Just a thought- and realize it may not be an option for you- but if you have Personal Hotspot on your phone, maybe bring a laptop and use the Hotspot to connect laptop to do the Unlock online?

Of course you do need Cell Service still for this to work.
As often as possible these days, I research the area that I want to shoot the day before and see if there might be any FAA issues. And then can apply from home before I go out. Saves a lot of grief…

Reactions: Just Mark
Just a thought- and realize it may not be an option for you- but if you have Personal Hotspot on your phone, maybe bring a laptop and use the Hotspot to connect laptop to do the Unlock online?

Of course you do need Cell Service still for this to work.
As often as possible these days, I research the area that I want to shoot the day before and see if there might be any FAA issues. And then can apply from home before I go out. Saves a lot of grief…

Thanks. I don't have a laptop but only a tablet (Amazon fire???) . But it is a good suggestion.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stovebayen